Gem Cars ?

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Default Gem Cars ?

I am trying to decide which electric golf car to buy, I like the looks of the Gem car. Can anyone who has or had one tell me anything about them? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamescarriker View Post
I am trying to decide which electric golf car to buy, I like the looks of the Gem car. Can anyone who has or had one tell me anything about them? Thanks.
///
Old 06-04-2016, 06:59 PM

I love my Gem car!
Old 06-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran member

Gem cars were originally made in Fargo, ND!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieNonnie View Post
I love my Gem car!
Me too !!!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
We seriously looked at purchasing a Gem car 2 years ago and decided against it because of the street legal insurance costs and the cost of registering this vehicle in Florida. We also didn't think it fit our lifestyle quite yet. We are only half time residents and didn't feel comfortable with storing the Gem for 5 months out of the year. Golf cart insurance is about 25% of the cost of the Gem. Loved the look and drive of the Gem, though. Good luck in your decision.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2016, 05:27 AM
Sage

They're a misfit here in TV. Too big and fast for the GC trails...too small and slow for the road.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
If you play golf, make sure you check to see if they are allowed on the golf courses. Also, depending on where you plan to live, there are some very narrow mmp sections north of 466. I don't know if the GEM can get over the 441 cart overpass with oncoming traffic. As far as insurance and registration, I don't think that is an issue, as long as you don't drive on the main roads and stick to the mmps and golf cart lanes.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

I take my Gem all over the place including golf courses
Old 06-05-2016, 08:17 AM

You don't have to go over the bridge on 441- you can cross at light if street legal.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

We looked at buying a GEM but as Fraugoofy said, the fact that you must buy plates and insure it ended that idea.

They are very stable and very fast. They have a switch they increases the maximum speed for when it's being driven on the street and limits the speed to 20mph for cart paths.

I also didn't like the fact that the range is pretty limited. It could only go about 25 miles on a charge.

On warm days, I like to ride with the windshield down. The GEM has a solid windshield so this is not possible.

This was the case when I looked at one about four years ago. Maybe some of this has changed.

As has been pointed out, you can cross 27/441 and not use the bridge. You can also stay on Morse and Buena Vista and avoid the tunnels. Of course you will be using the roundabouts.

That's about all the positives and negatives I can come up with. I spoke with a salesman in Leesburg and he said that sales have beeb disappointing so far.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In playing championship courses here for five years I've only seen a Gem Car once on a golf course. I remember that because he was stuck between hills and we had to push him off. It was at Mallory/Amelia nine hole #5. Down the lefthand side of the fairway are several moguls and the Gem Car was stuck between them and the wheels were off the ground on both ends. So the driver/golfer applied the gas and several of us got behind and pushed.

If you're looking for a golf car/cart, I would choose another brand, if you looking for an expensive all around electric car then this might be your choice or look at the Atomic Cars at the Village Discount Golf Cars on 466 just east of Morse, they are enclosed and air conditioned.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:02 AM

After owning my Gem, I would never go back to standard cart. They are fast enough on the road and ride much more comfortably. They go through all the tunnels if you are so disposed and the suspension is like a car. Insurance and registration costs are something to consider, but "you get what you pay for". Gud luk on your decision.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm not sure why one would be required to register and buy insurance for a GEM. Parcar has the same setup as a GEM, imo; It has a vin, is classified as a NEV/LSV. You are not required to buy insurance and register/license a parcar unless you want to go street legal. Why would you not have the same choice with a GEM?
Old 06-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the valuable input. I will consider all options.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, gem, decide, cars, electric

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.