Goff cart "backfiring" problem

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Default Goff cart "backfiring" problem

Last summer after my annual Street rod checkup it immediately started "backfiring" especially when I slowed down to enter a tunnel. When I called the service company I used he told me it would disappear. Then weeks later he told me to put in high test gas. I don't use it often and had still lots of gas in it, so I just topped it off with premium. When I called again he said I might need a new carburetor. It took until last month to use up that tank of gas. No luck.

It also is having starting problems after sitting even over one night and needs a charge. I can start it after a few tries only going forward so I now back into my garage. Is that related?

Any advice out there would be appreciated.

Cindy
Old 02-05-2018, 08:49 AM

It's not a fuel problem but the carburetor. You can buy a new one on the internet for about 25 dollars and is no big deal to switch out ,about 25 minutes. Also,make sure the choke is not pulled out a little. Not sure about the battery needing charge,could need a new one or clean cables

Last edited by Bowtorc; 02-05-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-05-2018, 09:14 AM

Backfiring is usually caused by the throttle linkage out of adjustment or the idle screw adjusted to where it is holding the carb throttle plate open a little. What is happening is the throttle plate is open and it sucks gas in when coasting, then when you hit the gas pedal again it starts igniting the fuel causing a backfire. Suggest taking it to someone who knows what they are doing. It has nothing to do with the fuel you have in it.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427dave View Post
Backfiring is usually caused by the throttle linkage out of adjustment or the idle screw adjusted to where it is holding the carb throttle plate open a little. What is happening is the throttle plate is open and it sucks gas in when coasting, then when you hit the gas pedal again it starts igniting the fuel causing a backfire. Suggest taking it to someone who knows what they are doing. It has nothing to do with the fuel you have in it.
Agree with the above diagnosis but have another related question. Our Club Car has backfired a few times but it is an EFI, so the above is not relevant. Any ideas what could be causing an EFI to backfire?
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Agree with the above diagnosis but have another related question. Our Club Car has backfired a few times but it is an EFI, so the above is not relevant. Any ideas what could be causing an EFI to backfire?
I have never worked on a EFI golf cart, so do not have a idea what it may be. It could still be the linkage adjustment holding the throttle body open and some how sucking fuel. When letting up on the gas pedal it needs to close off any fuel. Remember in the old days turning off the ignition on your car, pumping the gas pedal, then turning the ignition back on, BANG, if you were lucky you didn't blow the muffler off Your golf cart turns the ignition off when you let up on the gas pedal, then you press down again it turns the ignition back on, hence backfire.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:39 PM

First off, everyone is correct, its not the fuel you use.

Second- please don't buy a 25 dollar carb off the internet, they are junk.

Third, Carburetors rarely go bad, especially on a Club car. The right Tech will be able to cure the issue, more than likely without changing any parts.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427dave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I have a club car efi that will occasionally backfire. It will usually happen after I have been on a long stretch of the MMP and then let up a little. Bow’s explanation sounds reasonable...
Old 02-06-2018, 04:24 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Timing??????
Old 02-06-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

My Streetrod did this several years ago. Same people told me the same thing. Car Fixer fixed the problem in no time flat. Runs great ever since. I do use premium fuel.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:03 PM

I have a 2018 Yamaha that is backfiring occasionally. It may not do it for two or three days and then it will backfire there or four times in one day. Has anyone had any success having this problem fixed at The Villages?
Old 02-07-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
My Streetrod did this several years ago. Same people told me the same thing. Car Fixer fixed the problem in no time flat. Runs great ever since. I do use premium fuel.
What's "Car Fixer"? Is this a gas additive? Or a fuel injector cleaner? Or a person?
Old 02-07-2018, 04:38 PM

When I start to backfire, I stay away from Beans, The problem Stopped Almost immediately.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac View Post
When I start to backfire, I stay away from Beans, The problem Stopped Almost immediately.
Was that a funny ?????
Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 AM

Make sure the exhaust manifold bolts are tight.......cured my problem.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
What's "Car Fixer"? Is this a gas additive? Or a fuel injector cleaner? Or a person?
Michael is the Cart Fixer. You will see his truck all around. Site won't allow me to place numbers. Google him.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, called, told, backfiring, sitting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.