Street legal carts

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Street legal carts

One day I'll be living in TV needing a golf cart. My plan is to replace a car with a golf cart. My questions are simple. Will I be deprived of going to places that I cannot go in a regular cart? Which places?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
One day I'll be living in TV needing a golf cart. My plan is to replace a car with a golf cart. My questions are simple. Will I be deprived of going to places that I cannot go in a regular cart? Which places?
As long as you dial down the speed when on the multi-modal or regular cart lanes and have golf course approved tires then I would think you have access to anything normal carts do.

But a street legal doesn't mean you'll be able to get to much more than a normal cart can. Yes, you can travel on a 35 mph road or cross a 45 mph but you'll still need to rent a car every now and then.

At least that is my understanding of the laws. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Sage

Hi Aljetmet,

Do you mean that you have two cars and are thinking of replacing one of them with a street legal cart? If so, that can be a fine alternative, with caveats. One, as Russ mentioned, is to be sure to get golf course approved tires if you golf. You do have to pay tax and license fees for a street legal, but you would have to do that on a second car as well.

If you meant having a street legal cart instead of having any car, that would be pretty limiting. You would be restricted as to what roads you could travel outside of TV.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Veteran member
Default Street legal cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Aljetmet,

Do you mean that you have two cars and are thinking of replacing one of them with a street legal cart? If so, that can be a fine alternative, with caveats. One, as Russ mentioned, is to be sure to get golf course approved tires if you golf. You do have to pay tax and license fees for a street legal, but you would have to do that on a second car as well.

If you meant having a street legal cart instead of having any car, that would be pretty limiting. You would be restricted as to what roads you could travel outside of TV.

We'll have one car and one golf cart. I'll be golfing as much as I can but the wife does not. So, if I want to take a ride to say window shop, I don't want to be limited. I'm not looking for speed that a LSV will provide, just the versatility.

I've gone through so many threads on gas vs electric on this forum I just don't recall seeing much on the merits of having that freedom. It's a difficult item to search....

But thanks for yours and Russ imput. Didn't think of having golf approved tires. From what I've read on TOTV Tomberlin is the cart I would check our first.
I am really trying hard to get responces to this thread
Old 04-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
We'll have one car and one golf cart. I'll be golfing as much as I can but the wife does not. So, if I want to take a ride to say window shop, I don't want to be limited. I'm not looking for speed that a LSV will provide, just the versatility.

I've gone through so many threads on gas vs electric on this forum I just don't recall seeing much on the merits of having that freedom. It's a difficult item to search....

But thanks for yours and Russ imput. Didn't think of having golf approved tires. From what I've read on TOTV Tomberlin is the cart I would check our first.
I am really trying hard to get responces to this thread
the most important thing that is often overlooked is the added safety features of a lsv vs a golf cart. there is little comparison. the added cost of insurance imo is well worth the saftey features.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I believe you can get to Sam's Club and Home Depot in an LSV but not a golf cart. Other than that (as far as I know), a golf cart can get to everything else a LSV can. Lowes, 2 Walmarts and everything in TV is golf cart accessible.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
I believe you can get to Sam's Club and Home Depot in an LSV but not a golf cart. Other than that (as far as I know), a golf cart can get to everything else a LSV can. Lowes, 2 Walmarts and everything in TV is golf cart accessible.
the large shopping center south of 441/rolling acres rd is not golf cart accessible.youll need a lsv for that as well as home depot and sams club. also to get to lowes and walmart on 441 a golf cart has to travel a private dirt road to get there. lsv can take paved roads. if you can afford it a lsv is far and away the best way to go!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran member
Default That's it

Hmm, Sams and Home Depot access, That's worth it!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Hmm, Sams and Home Depot access, That's worth it!
aljetmet.......tomberlin is a sweet machine. check it out!

ps...im from pickwick, im sure you know where that is.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Platinum member
Default New and looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
the most important thing that is often overlooked is the added safety features of a lsv vs a golf cart. there is little comparison. the added cost of insurance imo is well worth the saftey features.
Can anyone give me an idea of how much more the fees and insurance would run for LSV over regular golf carts? We are new and beginning to look around for a cart. We have a rented electric cart and although we love the convenience of it, it certainly seems to go very slow. People are passing us left and right with gas and other electrics. Is there any way to make one go faster?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Can anyone give me an idea of how much more the fees and insurance would run for LSV over regular golf carts? We are new and beginning to look around for a cart. We have a rented electric cart and although we love the convenience of it, it certainly seems to go very slow. People are passing us left and right with gas and other electrics. Is there any way to make one go faster?
lsv insurance is pretty much the same as a second car.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
We have a rented electric cart and although we love the convenience of it, it certainly seems to go very slow. People are passing us left and right with gas and other electrics. Is there any way to make one go faster?
The carts given to you are slow. The one I had when I did my Lifestyle visit went 14 MPH. A real golf cart will get you 20 mph. Mine new cart was clocked at 21. I'd not want to have a LSV because, a golf cart is a golf cart. I wouldn't want to be rear ended by a tractor trailer because it was in the street lanes. Riding on a golf path or golf cart cart part of the road is a lot safer.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

Registering and insuring a LSV costs about the same as a car. A golf cart does not require registration and insurance is only $60 per year.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.