Golf car range

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
Yea, right. Better to force those noxious fumes out the back and into the face of those snobby electric cart owners traveling behind you.
Snobby? Where's that coming from? I own electric but that's my choice!
Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Platinum member

WOW! When I asked the question "Gas or Electric) last year, I was set on electric. But the overwhelming answers and suggestions from TOTV convinced me to change my attitude and go with gas. I'm not keep score on this post but it looks like electric is the popular choice this time around. Bottom line: Flip a coin. Nomatter what the outcome you win.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

My memory must be failing me but, although I stand by my contention that Shon and Five Star Golf Cart Services is the way to go if you have a Club Car needing servicing, the batteries were replaced by someone else. I decided to check my files and discovered this. They were replaced in Oct. 09 by "Cart Batteries Plus" 352-454-5329.

I would call them and Shon and get a price from each.

They were 6 Trojan T-875 8 volt batteries and the cost was $631 with an 18 mo. warranty.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Default Golf car range

Hi,

My vote is for electric. I bought a used 2001 Club Car DS at the end of 2009. It has 07 batteries and has got me from as far South to as far North as you can drive. I have never had a problem or a worry about being able to drive in the cart where I want to go, day or night. I live as far South as a person can at this time, the Village of Hemingway. I have driven all over the villages in the cart and played 18 holes of golf. I have never worried about running out of charge for the cart. I simply plug the cart into the charger every time I pull into the garage. Having our second electric Club Car delivered on Monday.

Have fun deciding, but hope you decide against exhaust fumes. I would hate to be following you around TV.

AL, FL, TX, MO, NZ, CA, CO, Village of Hemingway
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Snobby? Where's that coming from? I own electric but that's my choice!
It was a tongue in cheek comment. We electric cart owners tend to sound a bit like tree huggers when discussing the gas vs. electric issue.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
It was a tongue in cheek comment. We electric cart owners tend to sound a bit like tree huggers when discussing the gas vs. electric issue.
Sorry..didn't catch the sarcasm..my bad!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Electric vis a vis Gas

I purchased new in 2006 and found my batteries failed 1/1/2 years later. I had them replaced with Trojans which also failed. My repair guy replaced them with 6/8 v. Dec 2009. I explained to my repair guy that Iam not getting the kind of milage avertised . He claims he has been having trouble with Trojans and so he has agrred to replace my batteries at no cost with another brand. Of course I am having him do other work to update the cart. Some guy told me he gets 95 miles on one charge with 8 batteries. My repair guy doesn't believe it. I don't like the smell and noise asociated with gas carts only wish electric could really match their distnat claims
Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default A related question

We plan to rent for at least the first year - We rented for a week a couple years back and the cart that was included was very slow.

Alot of units include a cart how can I know, what can I ask to make sure it is not a slow cart. Also it sounds like someone needs to sell posters that give even dummys could follow instructions for charging and maintaining carts that could be posted on the garage walls of rental units. Just a thought.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Just ask how fast the cart goes. If they don't know the answer, move on. I have two rental that each have a cart, one with gas, the other with electric and I know exactly how fast each one goes. They should go 20mph and the owner should know that fact.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Sage
Default 6 versus 8 battery test

I forgot I had this and I think it is interesting to this thread. It is a range test I did last year using the same cart, a 2002 Club Car DS. One test was done with a battery pack consisting of 6-8 volt batteries in the cart and the second test was done with a pack consisting of 8-6 volt batteries. In each case I ran pack until state of charge was around 48.4 volts (50%).

The Villages Florida
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Gold member

I purchased an electric Club Car 3 years ago new. I have had one battery replaced about a year after purchasing the cart at no cost. About 1 year ago I purchased a solar panel for the roof of the cart. At that time I felt my batteries were weakening. The solar panel does not produce outstanding results but what I did notice that my batteries seemed to be working like they were new again. I have both a gauge (red lines) and a yellow light on the cart. I used the gauge to determine how much juice I have left in the batteries. When the batteries were new when I went over the Morse bridge the gauge showed on the second line when new but had deteriorated to the 3rd line prior to the solar panel. It then went back to 2 lines afterwards. As far as estimated range I think it would depend on whether your going max. speed (19mph) or something less to conserve batteries. Of course colder whether has a negative effect on batteries. I would estimate that by driving conservatively I could get 35 miles but I have never driven 35 miles to test it out. I do have a speedometer in the cart.

As an aside the women at the Club Car dealer told me that the red gauge was not accurate. However, when that's all you have to go on you use it to compare.

I have driven gas carts on the courses and find that I don't like the fact that when I step on the gas there is a hesitation before the cart starts moving which doesn't happen in an electric cart.

Fortunately I live in pretty much the center of the Villages and don't think I will ever need a gas cart to get to the ends (unless of course they go south of 44

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Default Golf Car Range

I have driven electric for eleven years and had a few problems. We are switching to gas. Shopped at Villages Golf Cars today and was very impressed with them. Big selection-gas, electric, new-used,rebuilt you name it. A very nice salesman gave us several great pieces of advice. Use premium gas and add a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil to offset the effects of ethanol. I will stop back to check on the dosage for each tankful.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimecop View Post
I have driven electric for eleven years and had a few problems. We are switching to gas. Shopped at Villages Golf Cars today and was very impressed with them. Big selection-gas, electric, new-used,rebuilt you name it. A very nice salesman gave us several great pieces of advice. Use premium gas and add a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil to offset the effects of ethanol. I will stop back to check on the dosage for each tankful.
Could you detail the problems with the electric. I guess they were serious enough for you to switch?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

I've just taken notice of this thread and it hadn't caught my attention because we don't own a golf cart yet and probably won't for a while. However, I do want to mention that when I first saw the title, an image of golf carts roaming around a huge field like deer, antelop, buffalo and elks surrounded by a whole lot of fencing. I didn't notice though if there were any posted signs stating "Don't Feed The Golf Carts." The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Default Alumcart Range

Mine is a 2009 and never had even a questional range issue. Gas is quiet, dependable and does not put any crap in the air. Everyone I play with has chosen Battery. Gas is for Idiots and there are many of them in The Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.