Golf car range

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
With that many gas golf carts in TV, has there been an idiots club started yet? If so, I think I'll get a gas cart so I can join the club! The Villages Florida
I understand there is a "Village Idiots" club for those who want to do nothing. They meet once a month for breakfast in PJ's! so I have heard (yet unconfirmed) and my wife desperately wants to join! I guess they all drive their GAS carts to each meeting
Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
I understand there is a "Village Idiots" club for those who want to do nothing. They meet once a month for breakfast in PJ's! so I have heard (yet unconfirmed) and my wife desperately wants to join! I guess they all drive their GAS carts to each meeting
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Gold member
Default Gas vs electric resale value

I believe gas carts cost more when new, and both electric and gas appear to depreciate at about the same rate. This may change when TV gets bigger, although electric carts might keep getting better. Again, all depends on where you live, how many carts you have, and how/where you use them.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran member
Default Electric is the way to go

I’ve tried both electric (Club Car) and gas (Yamaha) before settling on my Tomberlin. My first concern was range and I tested it by going from the far NW corner of TV to the far SE (466a shopping center), onto Sam’s, thence to Lowes, onward to Publix at Mulberry and then home to the far reaches of Chatham Village.

My reserves showed better than 50% more at that time and I was tired of driving around. I could easily have gone back to Sam’s and home again. The electric LSV allows you to legally go faster on roads within TV as well as to be able to cross highways surrounding TV. I choose to never drive on high-speed surface roads such as El Camino Real and Buena Vista – my inability to keep up with traffic on these roads endangers both vehicular traffic and me. Instead, I drive on the cart paths with the ignition turned to #2 – this restricts me to legal golf cart speeds.

The key to keeping your electric vehicle batteries in good shape is to fill them evenly and regularly. The automatic fill devices make this a piece of cake. Go electric intelligently and you will have a faster cart with essentially unlimited range. All you have to do is regularly replenish the batteries and remember to plug in the charger.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 PM

And u have to get the vehicle registered and insured just as u would a car.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMan View Post
I’ve tried both electric (Club Car) and gas (Yamaha) before settling on my Tomberlin. My first concern was range and I tested it by going from the far NW corner of TV to the far SE (466a shopping center), onto Sam’s, thence to Lowes, onward to Publix at Mulberry and then home to the far reaches of Chatham Village.

My reserves showed better than 50% more at that time and I was tired of driving around. I could easily have gone back to Sam’s and home again. The electric LSV allows you to legally go faster on roads within TV as well as to be able to cross highways surrounding TV. I choose to never drive on high-speed surface roads such as El Camino Real and Buena Vista – my inability to keep up with traffic on these roads endangers both vehicular traffic and me. Instead, I drive on the cart paths with the ignition turned to #2 – this restricts me to legal golf cart speeds.

The key to keeping your electric vehicle batteries in good shape is to fill them evenly and regularly. The automatic fill devices make this a piece of cake. Go electric intelligently and you will have a faster cart with essentially unlimited range. All you have to do is regularly replenish the batteries and remember to plug in the charger.
BBQ, I recently did a range test with my Tomberlin E-Merge 2 with 6 US Battery 8 volt GCXC that are two years old. After 26 miles it came to a dead halt. But that was pretty much pedal to the metal most of the way with no stopovers.

If I understand the route you took, it would have been close to 29 miles which is at the upper end of the stated range spec for the E-Merge 2, but you said your gauge showed only 50% usage.

Did you have the range extending 8 six volt battery option installed perhaps?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimecop View Post
I have driven electric for eleven years and had a few problems. We are switching to gas. Shopped at Villages Golf Cars today and was very impressed with them. Big selection-gas, electric, new-used,rebuilt you name it. A very nice salesman gave us several great pieces of advice. Use premium gas and add a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil to offset the effects of ethanol. I will stop back to check on the dosage for each tankful.
What are the effects of ethanol?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
BBQ, I recently did a range test with my Tomberlin E-Merge 2 with 6 US Battery 8 volt GCXC that are two years old. After 26 miles it came to a dead halt. But that was pretty much pedal to the metal most of the way with no stopovers.

If I understand the route you took, it would have been close to 29 miles which is at the upper end of the stated range spec for the E-Merge 2, but you said your gauge showed only 50% usage.

Did you have the range extending 8 six volt battery option installed perhaps?
Yes, I do have the eight six volt batteries. I'm surprised to hear it makes that much difference. Are you using the auto fill system?

HMLRHT1 - Yes, I did have to go and get m Tomberlin registered. This is a one-time event. I do keep it insured, just as I kept my golf carts insured. I do not understand the belief that having to have insurance is a big deal. My liabilities are the same whether I am driving a golf cart or a LSV. Accidents, uninsured motorists, vandalism, etc are equally likely in either vehicle.

Insurance costs exactly the same through USAA - $90 every six months.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Veteran member

BBQ am curious....how do you get to Sam's in a golf cart??
Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
BBQ am curious....how do you get to Sam's in a golf cart??
Simple, he crosses 441 at the intersection of Rolling Acres Rd. which he is allowed to do legally since his Tomberline is not a golf cart but is a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) and is registered and has a Florida License Plate.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
....I do not understand the belief that having to have insurance is a big deal. My liabilities are the same whether I am driving a golf cart or a LSV. Accidents, uninsured motorists, vandalism, etc are equally likely in either vehicle.

Insurance costs exactly the same through USAA - $90 every six months.
The ‘big deal’ is that most of us are paying around $450 per year to insure our LSVs. That USAA insurance you have is only available to veterans. It’s still worth it to me and others with LSVs for the higher legal speeds when we need it and being able to cross highways to get to places not accessible by regular golf carts.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, I do have the eight six volt batteries. I'm surprised to hear it makes that much difference. Are you using the auto fill system?

<post snipped by Alan>
In general 8-6v batteries will go 33% further per charge that 6-8v batteries. I am not sure what type of gauge you have that says 50%, but the key to longevity of the pack is not discharging them to less than 48.4 volts.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Thanks.....guess he must get to rolling acres via target shopping plaza. Also opens up access to 5-guys with a LSV. Got me thinking............
Old 04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
Thanks.....guess he must get to rolling acres via target shopping plaza. Also opens up access to 5-guys with a LSV. Got me thinking............
Chuckster - You are right on this.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Platinum member

Put 55 miles on my cart today, glad I have gas, We use it as our main vehicle during warm weather.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.