Golf car range

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Default Golf car range

My wife and I hope to be moving to TV in the next year and of course will probably make a golf car our primary vehicle. Should we buy an electric or gas cart? I would prefer electric but I'm concerned about the range. Can somebody share with me some first experiences?

Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Platinum member

We have had 2 electric carts and now own a gas cart and an electric. I like electric but would be hesitant to drive the length of The Villages and play 18 holes. Some electric maunfacturers claim 50-60 miles... I've never seen it. Gas on the other hand, would give me the confidence to do anything. There are as many cons and pros for each type as there are people you ask. Do a search in TOTV as there are many many opinions!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:25 PM

Are there gas stations you can fill up your gas cart or do you have to use a gas can?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Platinum member

Yes, there are at least 3 gas station legally accessible by golf cart but they are a bit spread out. One at 466A, 466, and one on the historic side. There is also one at the Walmart on 441. You may also try to illegally cross Buena Aires to get to the station on 441 but don't get caught.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Platinum member

Hi JimPete,

The thought of clean and free fuel (electric) sounds like a plan most Village People dream of. Reality is, because the Villages being so large, (see Ooper's accurate remarks) using electric is no longer practical. Perhaps as a second cart where it can be used to make short trips… or in the event of a gas shortage. I was set on buying electric but after researching TOTV, I learned gas was the way to go. TOTV has many posts on gas vs electric. If you use the search option, you will see that gas wins out. . PS: If you decide on a gas model- be sure you get an extended exhaust. It only cost a few extra $$$ and it will eliminate the fumes you might smell with normally come from under your seats. I also hear using high test will also help. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Sage
Default Opinion from an owner of multiple electric carts

It will come down to where you live and your requirements. IMO a good guideline is if your daily range requirement exceeds 30-35 miles you are on the edge to needing a gas cart.

Will some battery packs go further that 35? Of course, but even the best packs should not be taken more than 40 miles regularly.

If you go electric, be aware, battery packs matter, the more batteries in a pack the better the range, 8 6 volt batteries goes further that 6 8 volt batteries which goes further than 4 12 volt batteries.

I modified my 2002 Club Car to hold 8 6 volt batteries. I have documented this cart travelling full speed for 50 miles which brought the pack to 50%.

I did find one way to double my daily range. My wife bought a second electric cart

Hope that helps....

Last edited by ajbrown; 02-20-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM
nkrifats

Gas for all the reasons stated above. I was concerned about the distance I travel as I use the Cart for my second car and even now sometimes as my only means of getting around.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Gold member
Default location, # of carts, usage

All of the above make a huge difference in your choice. We started with one electric 2 seater cart - we don't golf the 18 hole courses and we live in what will end up being pretty much the center of TV (Sabal Chase). We had tenants for 4 years who used our cart. Many of them DID golf 18 holes. Never heard from any of them that there was a problem running out of juice.

When we retired last fall, we decided to buy a 2nd cart as we both like the idea of going almost everywhere we can by golf cart - saves money and is just more fun, and we often do separate activities. We really thought our 2nd cart would be gas, decision mostly based on all I read on this forum about the need for longer range.

The more looking we did, and the more we smelled all the gas fumes in the tunnels, the less we wanted gas. The high emission factor (gas carts are much worse than gas cars) was also a negative.

Also, although we live in the middle and feel we are not all that far from anywhere, we are kind of far from gas stations, which are all on the edges, not inside TV. Closest to us the the Shell at Colony Plaza, which has had lots of issues as well. Lifting a full 5 gallon gas can would be a problem for me, and Ohioboy is back in Ohio more often than I am.

Long story short, we decided on a 4 passenger electric for our 2nd cart. Great to use for guest tours (most of you will find you have a LOT of guests, at least for the first year or two), and also for grandkids, once equipped with seat belts.

If we have used one cart extensively during the day, we just drive the other at night. They fit in our CYV Bonita garage in tandem - and since they are both Club Cars, can hook up to either charger so we are not constantly changing them around.

It's worked great for us, based mostly on our location and usage. Might not work for everyone.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
.... PS: If you decide on a gas model- be sure you get an extended exhaust. It only cost a few extra $$$ and it will eliminate the fumes you might smell with normally come from under your seats.
Yea, right. Better to force those noxious fumes out the back and into the face of those snobby electric cart owners traveling behind you.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Default Electric vs gas carts

I live at the current southernmost edge of TV, and have taken my electric cart to Nancy Lopez (northernmost edge) to play 18 holes a number of times, and have never had an issue with range. My cart has 8 6-volt batteries. As TV expand south of 466A, a resident of that sector may encounter range issues at some point, as would a resident from around CR 42 wishing to travel to CR 44.

At some point, however, the sheer time of travel may well trump all other issues, and make cart travel from one end of TV to the other a moot point for some.

Odors are one issue. Personally, I enjoy the quiet ride of an electric while golfing. On the road, tire noise is such that the "quiet ride" is not a big deal.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I've lived in TV for 2 years now and have 2 electric 48V Club Cars. I use them for everything. I visit, I shop, I golf, I pleasure drive and have not found them to be inconvenient. On the other hand, I also travel in blissful silence with no noxious smells (other than the numerous badly tuned gas carts I'm forced to follow) and this is especially welcome in my garage.

The only problem I had was when I first moved here and my new cart had a low charge indicator light that was broken and it didn't warn me of the depleting charge in time after a night of traveling all over TV with my friends looking at Christmas displays. I guess that was about 4 hours or more of almost nonstop driving with the lights on.

That was still a lot of driving and I've gotten the light fixed since and now have the light and a gauge on both carts I own and have never had an inconvenience or a problem since.

I come home and plug it in (after a 20 minute battery cool down) and I'm always ready to go where and whenever I want. No Noise, no smells, no problems.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Default Golf cart

I have had a electric Club cart since 2003, its been a great cart, but have replaced the batteries twice in the past three years ($800.00 plus each time). I purchased a new Yamaha gas cart from Carts & Clubs in Ocala in October and I'm glad I did! I kept the electric for a second cart, but because the Villages is getting so big I think gas is the way to go.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
I have had a electric Club cart since 2003, its been a great cart, but have replaced the batteries twice in the past three years ($800.00 plus each time). I purchased a new Yamaha gas cart from Carts & Clubs in Ocala in October and I'm glad I did! I kept the electric for a second cart, but because the Villages is getting so big I think gas is the way to go.

I find it hard to understand the problem with your batteries unless you weren't servicing them regularly and keeping the water at the proper level using distilled water.

Also, I have a guy who'll replace the batteries with the preferred Trojan battery and the cost is just about $600. My second cart was pre-owned and I started fresh with new batteries.

If anybody needs an excellent golf cart mechanic specializing in Club Cars who comes to your home meticulously clean and driving a meticulously clean truck and shop trailer and won't rip you off with unnecessary repairs, and also advise you on preventive maintenance, I can put you in touch with a great guy.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Default yes for electric cart

I have had both types of carts. Hands down I prefer the electric. Easy to charge...no fumes or exhaust issues...no worry about finding a gas station...no noise...and I have never come close to running out of a charge.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Default Golf cart

Maint on batteries is most important. But when you have renters?? If your going to rent I would recommend a gas cart.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.