Golf Cars and Merge Lanes

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Default Golf Cars and Merge Lanes

Hey. Driving through The Villages there are a lot of merge lanes (usually at water drains, and one strange one at belle Glade GC).

With the golf car lane on the right and car lane on the left, and a white line dividing the lanes, you will come up on a yellow merge sign.

Those with good to average eyes or who know the area will see or know these signs in advance.

Here is the problem, if you follow what you are taught in school, you do not cross the white line unless to avoid a hazard.

Since they set the roads with so little room for the golf car to merge from where the white line ends, and the merge begins, can this be considered a hazard?

If it is a hazard, and you know the merge 'hazard' is coming, and at merges the traffic slows to 20 MPH, isn't the safer thing to do is watch traffic and merge early when it is clear instead of getting to the end and sticking your hand out to merge.

I see a lot of people merge at the last moment and it seems like a hazard to me.

What do others think?

Can the merge be considered a hazard?

Bottom line for me is that I merge when I feel it is safe and not at the last moment.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

To wait until the last moment is very hazardous. I try to start my merging over at least 50 - 100 yds. prior to the end of the lane. To some, that might seem excessive, but I've never been flipped off or honked at by any vehicle drivers for entering their lane that distance back.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I too merge as early as it is clear, but typically not prior to 100-200 feet...before the end of the solid white line.

IMHO, 'they' should have a dotted white line starting about 100 feet...before the absolute end of the cart lane.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Gold member

I think if the white line ends for the carts and there are cars to their left they should stop...it's not as if you gave up common sense when you moved here.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:47 PM
Gold member
Default Yes...well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
To wait until the last moment is very hazardous. I try to start my merging over at least 50 - 100 yds. prior to the end of the lane. To some, that might seem excessive, but I've never been flipped off or honked at by any vehicle drivers for entering their lane that distance back.
there are quite a few people who think it's always about them. Then there are the considerate people who don't mind those that aren't...
Old 03-14-2017, 08:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I too merge as early as it is clear, but typically not prior to 100-200 feet...before the end of the solid white line.

IMHO, 'they' should have a dotted white line starting about 100 feet...before the absolute end of the cart lane.
yes
Old 03-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I do the same
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

[QUOTE=ColdNoMore;1373007]I too merge as early as it is clear, but typically not prior to 100-200 feet...before the end of the solid white line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
there are quite a few people who think it's always about them. Then there are the considerate people who don't mind those that aren't...
.....and, to each their own. Being a retired LEO, this is the distance I FEEL SAFE in merging into the vehicle lane when I see vehicles approaching from behind; no vehicles coming up, I'll wait closer to the end. The closer you get to the end of the diamond lane, the more you have to start dealing with drivers in vehicles speeding up to try to get in front of carts attempting to merge.

Y'all can merge at whatever distance you want to - I. DON'T. CARE.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=kcrazorbackfan;1373039]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

.....and, to each their own. Being a retired LEO, this is the distance I FEEL SAFE in merging into the vehicle lane when I see vehicles approaching from behind; no vehicles coming up, I'll wait closer to the end. The closer you get to the end of the diamond lane, the more you have to start dealing with drivers in vehicles speeding up to try to get in front of carts attempting to merge.

Y'all can merge at whatever distance you want to - I. DON'T. CARE.
My new best friend
Old 03-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We just drove about 2500 miles in the last 13 days from TV to NJ into Manhattan for several hours and when we were going to pick up our dog from the best Dog Sitter in the world we got furiously beeped at by an Air Horn and got the Jersey Salute from some youngin around the Savannah Center at the Roundabout in a NON street legal golf cart riding on the street. My wife revved up but I took it as free entertainment. I give everyone at all times a break on the road, I don't block traffic and try to be considerate as possible. I also don't drive to please anyone but myself. If you beep at me don't expect any reaction other than a smile. All that mileage without any conflict or incident and I get home to this. Take a pill. If you beep at me to hurry out of a parking space that will not increase your chance of parking there.

This is approximately the spot where a confused nice lady in a beautiful large Benz came at us on our side of a One Way road called El Camino Real. Freakout...not me...it was a mistake on her part what would belittling her do to improve the situation?

Last edited by Nucky; 03-14-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

That's exactly what you are supposed to do. I've seen cart drivers do all kinds of merges and I've seen car drivers try their best to beat a merging cart as if it was a contest who made it there first. What's the damn hurry?
Old 03-15-2017, 05:18 AM
Email Reported As Spam

DonH57 you are spot on. it simply doesn't manner what a golf cart driver does because you will find some car driver who simply refuse to let a golf cart merge in front of them. conversely you will find some who are very accommodating and anticipate what a golf cart needs to do. I flash my lights to let a golf cart driver know that I know s/he is about to make their move.

This is a frequent topic on TOTV. and the argument goes is the solid white line painted to define the diamond lane and/or to tell golf cart drivers that can't leave the line?????

The diamond lanes re indeed narrow, especially along Rio Grande and Del Mar. I have seen contractors pulling trailers so wide they violate either the center car lane or golf card solid white line.

I have seen car drivers intentionally take wide turns to get into diamond lanes for their turns.

I avoid diamond lanes s often as possible but when I do have to use them I also merge just a little earlier when possible and with both a hand and mechanic signal
You will note that where diamond lanes end at gates, etc their are markings for a merger.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

OK, this is not rocket science. Anyone with average driving skills and experience SHOULD be able to judge which vehicle will arrive at the merge point first, or is there is a likelihood of arriving at the same time. When driving my cart, I am watching the mirrors approaching a merge, and if it is clear that one or the other vehicle will clearly get there first, there is no problem. If it looks like a tie, I slow down a bit and wave the other vehicle on. If I see that a car going 30 is clearly accelerating to 45 to "race" to the merge, I merge early, then gradually slow down to 8 or 10 mph just to send a message--that being that you cost yourself double the time by being a jerk.

It's basically the same as driving on a 2 lane interstate. If I'm in the right lane with cruise control on and approaching a slow vehicle while someone in the left lane is approaching me, I just judge whether he will pass me easily, will never catch up, or if he is going to get along side me and box me in. In the latter case I just change lanes earlier than I need to.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
DonH57 you are spot on. it simply doesn't manner what a golf cart driver does because you will find some car driver who simply refuse to let a golf cart merge in front of them. conversely you will find some who are very accommodating and anticipate what a golf cart needs to do. I flash my lights to let a golf cart driver know that I know s/he is about to make their move.

This is a frequent topic on TOTV. and the argument goes is the solid white line painted to define the diamond lane and/or to tell golf cart drivers that can't leave the line?????

The diamond lanes re indeed narrow, especially along Rio Grande and Del Mar. I have seen contractors pulling trailers so wide they violate either the center car lane or golf card solid white line.

I have seen car drivers intentionally take wide turns to get into diamond lanes for their turns.

I avoid diamond lanes s often as possible but when I do have to use them I also merge just a little earlier when possible and with both a hand and mechanic signal
You will note that where diamond lanes end at gates, etc their are markings for a merger.
Thanks. The other subject you mentioned of carts must always stay in the lane, passing other carts and bicycles, and walkers always come up as well. I found the best source for questions about golf cart road rules is always the local law enforcement, not the internet.
Closed Thread

Tags
merge, hazard, line, car, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.