Golf Cart Advice

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Default Golf Cart Advice

My wife and I came for a Lifestyle Visit in early May and knew The Villages was where we want to be. We hope to be full time residents in Fenney/Desoto no later that November. While we were there we stopped in The Villages Golf Car store, looked around and experienced sticker shock.

My questions are:
1.) Are golf cars used much in Fenney as much as other areas?
2.) I'd like to buy a used, quiet, late model Yamaha gas cart. Are there issues I should be looking for in buying a used cart?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MPhoto; 09-04-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Typo in the title
Old 09-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Sage

seat & lap belts and a fuel injected engine-
Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhoto View Post
My wife and I came for a Lifestyle Visit in early May and knew The Villages was where we want to be. We hope to be full time residents in Fenney/Desoto no later that November. While we were there we stopped in The Villages Golf Car store, looked around and experienced sticker shock.

My questions are:
2.) I'd like to buy a used, quiet, late model Yamaha gas cart. Are there issues I should be looking for in buying a used cart?

Thanks in advance!
At this time you cannot get to other areas from Fenney and Desoto in a golf cart. It may be three years before that changes.

When we first moved here ten years ago we bought a used gas Yamaha four seater. It was four or five years old. This year we had it worked over for a little over a thousand dollars and it is chugging right along.

We bought it from a couple whose mom had lived with them and then she passed. Hubs is good with accessing things like that and it was a good buy. I think we paid threeK for it back then. Here's a picture of old Nellie.

We have a new gas cart too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_8644 (3).jpg
Views:	295
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	76384  

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-04-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Regarding Golf Cart use in Fenney, just wait till they get the Brownwood golf cart trail and then you can take it anywhere you want. And with all the new building to the south and east of Fenney, you will be able to run it all you want.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

With the caveat that I don’t live that far south, I’d guess that golf carts are not used as much in Fenney but they are used to go to your rec centers, golfing down your way, visiting neighbors, just tooling around. So, I’d recommend buying the cheapest golf cart you can bear to be seen in for now. Sell it, keep it as a second cart, donate it when Fenney opens up and then buy what you want.

Golf carts in general are work horses. I’ve seen some being driven that were well over 20 years old. They seem to outrun the Energizer Bunny. You can easily add things you need or want such as seatbelts post purchase. Have a good mechanic check it out before you purchase it and enjoy the ride.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Several things to consider. First what are your must haves on a cart? You mentioned quiet - that is a relative thing. If you want total quiet, electric is the way to go. However, that limits how far you can go and for how long and, in my opinion, with the villages only getting larger, it's really not a practical option, at least not for a primary cart. They make a quiet(er) gas cart now but it has only been out a couple of years so they are not as easy to find used and will cost more than others that still may suit you. I bought a used fuel injected gas Yamaha and it is quiet enough for my needs. Not all carts are equal so you can't just go by model year and cost. As with automobiles, accessories and upgrades cost more but will only be worth more to you if they are upgrades you want and will use. Some have much nicer seats which can run close to $2000 new, especially the ones that are adjustable back and forth. In the Fenney area, if you play a lot of golf, it's almost a must have right away. Otherwise, right now it's just a fun luxury as you can't get to the rest of the villages yet. However, on that note, Gracie's comment about 3 years is incorrect - the bridges and tunnels to connect everything together are already planned and announced and some are even already under construction. The announced date for full connectivity is January 2020, so hardly 3 years away even if the date slides by a couple of months (rare in The Villages).

Used vs. New:

A new cart will get you full warranty and peace of mind. You can also choose exactly the upgrades, accessories, and colors you want. But you will pay for all of that. I did just hear, last night, though, that if you buy a new cart from TV Carts and you live in Fenney/DeSoto, etc., you can go to any of TV cart locations and they will provide you a loaner to use in the other parts of the villages. That's a nice perk I wasn't aware of until someone told me last night.

A used cart can be a good deal. And, if you wait and look around long enough, you can often find something very close to what you'd want at a much better price. They key is to make sure it has been taken care of. Often you can tell a lot about that by just looking it over and taking it on a test ride. The owner may even be willing to let you have someone that knows carts look it over. I'd be careful about buying from anyone that wouldn't let you do that if you ask them about it. One option may be to just find a solid used cart to use around the area until it's more opened up and then upgrade to a newer or brand new cart. It's still nice to have a cart to run to the mailbox, the pool, the dog park, or just take a ride around.

For what it's worth, I kept my eyes open for a used cart. I know enough about them that I felt comfortable buying used without getting stuck with a lemon. I found one that we liked the colors, had most of the upgrades we wanted (we added a few others on our own), and still had a little of the warranty left on it. It was a few years old but was obviously kept well as it looked brand new. Best I can tell it had never been used on a golf course because it had no sand bottle and the straps that hold the golf bags didn't appear that they had ever even been taken loose from the clasps. It had less than 200 hours on it and I asked someone at the cart store if that was a good number and they told me the average is 250 to 300 hours per year. Finding a cart that was originally bought from the villages could be a plus because they can look up service records by the serial number on the cart. Most people have routine service (oil change, etc.) on them once a year, so if you can verify that it has been serviced as it should, that's a good sign as well. If you buy used from the dealer (I did not), they also generally check them out and get them up to snuff before selling them. And they may even provide at least a short term warranty. But you can expect to pay a little more even for used at a dealer as opposed to an individual - again, you are paying for peace of mind.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:17 PM

Thank you all! That's a bunch of good advice!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Several things to consider. First what are your must haves on a cart? You mentioned quiet - that is a relative thing. If you want total quiet, electric is the way to go. However, that limits how far you can go and for how long and, in my opinion, with the villages only getting larger, it's really not a practical option, at least not for a primary cart. They make a quiet(er) gas cart now but it has only been out a couple of years so they are not as easy to find used and will cost more than others that still may suit you. I bought a used fuel injected gas Yamaha and it is quiet enough for my needs. Not all carts are equal so you can't just go by model year and cost. As with automobiles, accessories and upgrades cost more but will only be worth more to you if they are upgrades you want and will use. Some have much nicer seats which can run close to $2000 new, especially the ones that are adjustable back and forth. In the Fenney area, if you play a lot of golf, it's almost a must have right away. Otherwise, right now it's just a fun luxury as you can't get to the rest of the villages yet. However, on that note, Gracie's comment about 3 years is incorrect - the bridges and tunnels to connect everything together are already planned and announced and some are even already under construction. The announced date for full connectivity is January 2020, so hardly 3 years away even if the date slides by a couple of months (rare in The Villages).

Used vs. New:

A new cart will get you full warranty and peace of mind. You can also choose exactly the upgrades, accessories, and colors you want. But you will pay for all of that. I did just hear, last night, though, that if you buy a new cart from TV Carts and you live in Fenney/DeSoto, etc., you can go to any of TV cart locations and they will provide you a loaner to use in the other parts of the villages. That's a nice perk I wasn't aware of until someone told me last night.

A used cart can be a good deal. And, if you wait and look around long enough, you can often find something very close to what you'd want at a much better price. They key is to make sure it has been taken care of. Often you can tell a lot about that by just looking it over and taking it on a test ride. The owner may even be willing to let you have someone that knows carts look it over. I'd be careful about buying from anyone that wouldn't let you do that if you ask them about it. One option may be to just find a solid used cart to use around the area until it's more opened up and then upgrade to a newer or brand new cart. It's still nice to have a cart to run to the mailbox, the pool, the dog park, or just take a ride around.

For what it's worth, I kept my eyes open for a used cart. I know enough about them that I felt comfortable buying used without getting stuck with a lemon. I found one that we liked the colors, had most of the upgrades we wanted (we added a few others on our own), and still had a little of the warranty left on it. It was a few years old but was obviously kept well as it looked brand new. Best I can tell it had never been used on a golf course because it had no sand bottle and the straps that hold the golf bags didn't appear that they had ever even been taken loose from the clasps. It had less than 200 hours on it and I asked someone at the cart store if that was a good number and they told me the average is 250 to 300 hours per year. Finding a cart that was originally bought from the villages could be a plus because they can look up service records by the serial number on the cart. Most people have routine service (oil change, etc.) on them once a year, so if you can verify that it has been serviced as it should, that's a good sign as well. If you buy used from the dealer (I did not), they also generally check them out and get them up to snuff before selling them. And they may even provide at least a short term warranty. But you can expect to pay a little more even for used at a dealer as opposed to an individual - again, you are paying for peace of mind.
Good advice
Old 09-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:

Used vs. New:

Quite the opposite of your name, good post and good advice.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 09-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Sage

We have over 25,000 miles on our 2010 cart and it runs great. The best thing we did was to buy the upgraded seats. We have never regretted it.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!

You need to shop around at other dealers if you have to have a new one? you went to Cadillac store expecting Rambler American. Plenty of used carts for sale. IMO anything under 5 years old under 4K good deal if you can determine the condition of the cart. Some carts 5 years old can have 20k miles or more on them. My cart listed for 12,995.00. I paid 7500.00 2years old and 800 miles on the cheap speedometer. So far 8.5k mikes and no problems, but I regularly maintain it.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Cart

Do your yearly tuneup and it will last forever.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Three levels of service and cost on a new cart. Highest price and easiest to deal with is Village Carts. Second highest price and a moderate hassle for service is Carts and Clubs in Ocala. Cheapest is Village Power in Webster. A lot of hass!e but you do save money.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Used vs. New:

EXCELLENT Advice.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!
If I were you, I would want a cart anywhere in TV. Check out Villages Discount Carts on 466 just East of Morse

Closed Thread

Tags
cart, villages, golf, fenney, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.