Golf Cart Advice

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2018, 04:41 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
Regarding Golf Cart use in Fenney, just wait till they get the Brownwood golf cart trail and then you can take it anywhere you want. And with all the new building to the south and east of Fenney, you will be able to run it all you want.
If you live in Fenny you should buy a gas cart for when you are connected.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
We have over 25,000 miles on our 2010 cart and it runs great. The best thing we did was to buy the upgraded seats. We have never regretted it.
When bought our golf cart, I knew I wanted a standard package (roof, roll-down sides, headlight, tail lights, turn signals and mirrors) and seat belts. I had no intention on spending anything extra for custom work, such as fancy paint or decals or rear seats or body work to make it look like a '39 Chevy or a Mustang or whatever. I sat in the basic bench seat and it seemed find, especially considering that the upgraded seats ran something like $1500 extra. Shoot, you can buy a half-way decent couch for that kind of money. Just out of curiosity, I sat in a cart with those upgraded seats and the first words out of my mouth were, "What colors do they come in?" They were SO much more comfortable, had actually usable arm rests, higher backs and the driver's side could move forward or back, allowing my wife to reach the gas and brake pedals without those stupid Velcro'd-on blocks. We have NO regrets with that particular upgrade!

We also definitely planned on getting an electric cart, which we thought would be quieter and exhaust-free. But when you look around any town square at night, you see between 80 and 90 percent of the carts are Yamaha gas models. And when you see ads for used carts hear on TOTV, you see people selling 10-year-old (or older) Yamahas and not so much of other lines. People here seem to love Yamahas and gas models. Thinking in terms of resell, I decided that maybe Yamaha was the way to go. It's not as quiet as electric, but the 2017 and later models with "Quietech" are pretty darned close.

Lastly, The Villages Insurance works with the local sheriffs department to do a safety class on golf cart usage about once a month. It's even free. It was WELL worth the time to take this class. If it was up to me, this would be required of ALL Villagers who drive golf carts. You have to take 6 hours worth of 3 classes on Pickleball before being allowed to reserve a court but you don't have to take anything to drive a golf cart on the multi-modal paths or streets here. That makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your golf cart! We've been here a year and a half and I still can't drive my cart around without a big smile on my face. They're convenient, inexpensive (compared to a second car and car insurance) and just plain fun!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:57 AM

Buy used or new now! Once your area gets access to everything, everyone near you will want their first or a second one and prices less negotiable. So, buy now, enjoy it now. Three years from now you "may" find that you won't drive it as much as you thought.

Just my thoughts.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM

Just do iit. Pull the trigger You won't be sorry. We are never sorry, Right GUYS.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
Just do iit. Pull the trigger You won't be sorry. We are never sorry, Right GUYS.
We're sorry plenty. We just never apologize.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Gold member

We have 2 electric carts. Both bought used. Total cost was less than a new Yamaha from TV golf cars.

That was 4 yrs ago and they are going strong.

People who don’t have electric carts do not understand that range is not an issue. We can go from Brownwood to Spanish Springs, play 18 holes and go out to dinner in the evening after going home for a shower.

There is no maintenance for electric carts. Plug them in each night and check the water level once a month.

They are quiet, you can actually have a conversation in an electric cart, and they don’t stink.

Batteries last about 5-6 yrs depending on use and remembering to plug them in each night. A new set of batteries is about $700. That’s the only expense. When shopping for a used electric cart, you can have the batteries checked by Battery Boys and they can tell you if they are in good shape or if you have that expense coming up.

No oil, no spark plugs, no tune ups, or timing issues.

Which ever way you go, gas or electric, you will find great used carts at half the price of new.

I think we all agree that a golf cart ride is one of the best things about living here!!

Welcome and happy shopping!!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring up electric over gas..... Remember the older the batteries the less the range ,they are quieter especially when the batteries die on you

Tags
cart, villages, golf, fenney, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.