Golf cart batteries...please, please I need help

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Did you ask The Battery Boys about their new cart with lithium ion batteries?

That is the future of golf carts. They require no maintenance, last for 15 years and can go over 100 miles on a charge.

You can have your cart converted or they sell a new Smart Cart with a Toyota motor and a lot of accessories for about $10,000.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 PM

Batteries lose range over time. Just because you could go 40 miles the first year of your new batteries, does not mean it will do 40 miles the 3rd year of life. You do a whole bunch of 22 mile drives on a set of batteries, plan on them being short lived. There are many things to consider when buying an electric cart. How you are truly going to use the cart is the biggest thing. The Villages has gotten too big for long treks in an electric golf cart.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Veteran member

If you did not have a cart already then the best approach would be to buy a gas cart. No Electric cart will ever match the range of a Gas Cart. But since you already have a cart I would buy the batteries with the highest capacity. I also would consider getting away from the Villages and looking for the batteries say down toward Orlando. You can remove those batteries yourself and exchange them for new ones and replace them yourself. There is nothing magical going on here. I prefer Trojan but that's just my preference. They seem to hold up well. Interstate is another good name. Just like your car proper maintenance and properly inflated tires can make a difference. Make sure the batteries are properly hydrated and make sure you have a good charger which will properly maintain the charge level. Don't over think this. I'm sure you have a $$ figure in mind. Also keep all the connections tight and clean. A bad connection will waste power and do nothing more then provide heat. I saw a post for a more modern electric motor. Yes, it is more efficient but if your going to replace a motor then when do you get to the point where its time to replace the cart? Bottom line is with an electric cart you have limited travel. One trick I saw was a small Honda Generator mounted on the back of the cart. His way the person had a way to charge the cart if needed.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Did you ask The Battery Boys about their new cart with lithium ion batteries?

That is the future of golf carts. They require no maintenance, last for 15 years and can go over 100 miles on a charge.

You can have your cart converted or they sell a new Smart Cart with a Toyota motor and a lot of accessories for about $10,000.
According to Battery Boys web site lithium batteries last 10 years and other web sites confirm this. Four 12 volt batteries cost upward to $5,000 which amounts to $500 per year. So, in two years that is $1,000. For that amount you can buy Trojan batteries that will last 3 to 5 years. Also lithium batteries go dead without a warning.
So, what makes lithium batteries such a great deal?

Tags
golf, cart, distance, trojan, batteries

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.