Golf cart & Bikers people think they own the streets

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Default Golf cart & Bikers people think they own the streets

I cannot believe what I see with golf carts, a lot don't stay in their lane, NEVER use signals and just keep driving into the car lanes, there are people that don't realize where the carts merge and MERG doesn't mean to cut off cars. I would love to know how many cart drivers don't have a license, if for what-ever reason they don.t then they should not be in carts. As far as bikers, they should not be allowed on the street when they have their own lane. Cars have theirs and carts and bikes have theirs. just saying and my opinion: :
Old 01-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie 136 View Post
...As far as bikers, they should not be allowed on the street when they have their own lane...
The law is not on your side.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Over crowding does it every time and we are still in January
Old 01-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Rosie, I'm afraid that the law is definitely not on your side -- not for bikes, not for unlicensed golf cart drivers. Sadly, some people are absolutely clueless about how to merge. Doubt they know how to merge in a car, either. As to staying in the golf cart lane, that is not always possible. There are frequently obstacles that must be avoided, left turns that must be made. There are very specific laws for bicycles, but suffice it to say they should obey all traffic laws, which, if course they do not. Ditto golf carts sharing the road with cars. But, then, there is also the fact that some car drivers can't seem to understand that the car is supposed to stay between the solid, yellow double lines on the left and the solid, white line on the right. I can't tell you how often I have had to slam on my brakes because a car can't stay in its lane (and they don't believe in signals, full stops or sharing the road, either).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 AM

Bikers complain that multimode paths are too dangerous because of golf carts, but as for me I'd much rather get hit with a cart than a car or truck whose driver just happens to glance away for a second.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Be careful out there. Enjoy

Last edited by Bay Kid; 01-17-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: being nice
Old 01-17-2017, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We watch hundreds of cars try to beat the golf cart before the merge making carts waiting for kind soul to let them in, all while sitting on our lanai eating breakfast. Take care be kind to all, they might be the person sitting next to you next Sunday.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Gold member
Default This is the kind of attitude we...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We watch hundreds of cars try to beat the golf cart before the merge making carts waiting for kind soul to let them in, all while sitting on our lanai eating breakfast. Take care be kind to all, they might be the person sitting next to you next Sunday.
we don't need. If people would just obey the traffic laws there would be a lot fewer problems. There is a merge sign so that traffic will flow with the least stoppages. When a car stops to let a cart in the vehicles behind that car have to stop. This slows traffic. Many a time I have waited for the "kind soul" who let someone make a turn(or merge)and thus held up many vehicles waiting to go straight.

In the mind of someone who thinks their are being kind they ignore the fact that they've just made 10 other people wait. Just follow the law! Unless the stopping of your car/cart will happen anyway due to traffic ahead of you then keep on riding. That "poor soul" who has to wait to enter is obeying the law....you are NOT. You make driving any wheeled conveyance MORE dangerous.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Gold member

Sigh. We see all these behaviors and threads every year. Relax. This too shall pass. We are retired, life should be good
Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

In an accident, A golf cart is no match for a car, A bicycle is no match for a car, a walker or runner is no match for a car. That said, those driving a car have the most responsibility to avoid an accident IMHO. The operative word here is "most". Everybody has responsibility. I feel that way when I'm driving my car because the last thing I want to do is seriously injure or kill somebody with my 4,000 lb. vehicle.

I've lost the exact count but there have been 9 or 10 fatalities in The Villages where a golf cart and a car have been in a fatal accident. We don't need more. Enjoy---- but be careful out there.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yesterday to the guy who was in such a hurry to get to the bridge over Sumter Lake passing people on the path forcing carts to slam on their brakes and go off the path into the grass leave earlier or take your car. Also to the guy in his car that was behind me in his pickup driving half in the golf cart lane on Canal yesterday don't blow the horn at me I belong there not you. Gees !
Old 01-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

The wife and I are moving to our house in TV next month and the golf cart we ordered should be done getting customized by then. I understand there is (or perhaps was) a safety class to take on the proper driving of golf carts. How often is that offered and where? Or was it affected by the shutdown of the learning center? We want to learn to do things right there as we plan on enjoying life in the Bubble for as long as we can possibly manage!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:41 PM

Part of the complaints about cyclists are simply that the community doesn't know the laws. I hear all the time that the biker took up most of the lane. That's correct. the bike should have 4 feet from the curb to ride in. Cars think we should be riding along the curb. Not so - red your Florida Driving annual again folks. Not saying all bikers out there are following the laws. But I know my club takes them VERY seriously. but we have been cut off by cars numerous times.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
we don't need. If people would just obey the traffic laws there would be a lot fewer problems. There is a merge sign so that traffic will flow with the least stoppages. When a car stops to let a cart in the vehicles behind that car have to stop. This slows traffic. Many a time I have waited for the "kind soul" who let someone make a turn(or merge)and thus held up many vehicles waiting to go straight.

In the mind of someone who thinks their are being kind they ignore the fact that they've just made 10 other people wait. Just follow the law! Unless the stopping of your car/cart will happen anyway due to traffic ahead of you then keep on riding. That "poor soul" who has to wait to enter is obeying the law....you are NOT. You make driving any wheeled conveyance MORE dangerous.
You missed the point. No where did I say the cars STOPPED to let them in. Its the cars that speed up to make sure no cart can merge even though the cart has plenty of time to merge. It's interesting to watch as the cars, trucks and even UPS speed up and cross into the oncoming lane swerving to miss the cart, just to make sure the cart will not be in front of them. The cars do not stop to let carts in.

I am talking about the kind SOUL who actually allow them to merge with out running them over.

So your comment That you are NOT obeying the law, and MORE dangerous is a little over the top, TRY Reading My Post As Written. Only your post stated cars STOPPING......Since I am the one watching from my backyard, it not a here say it's a fact that can be watched at anytime of the day. And on occasion get to call 911 to report the accident that closes the road for few hours.

Last edited by asianthree; 01-18-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
carts, cars, golf, lane, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.