Golf cart engine won’t shut off at stop

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2021, 08:03 PM
Default Golf cart engine won’t shut off at stop

I pulled up to a light at Spanish springs and when I came to a complete stop the engine did not shut down as is normal. I also had a problem shifting out of reverse while the engine was racing.When I was driving home I would reach down and lift up on the accelerator when I did the engine shut off as normal
Old 01-01-2021, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Throttle cable binding???? Possibly??? You didn’t say what model or year? Look at engine find throttle and see it if it’s binding?
Old 01-01-2021, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Throttle cable binding???? Possibly??? You didn’t say what model or year? Look at engine find throttle and see it if it’s binding?
Agree, throttle cable getting stuck. I am not sure, but I think there is a spring that is supposed to release the cable when you take your foot off the gas pedal. The spring could be either compromised or disconnected. Call either Todd Casey or Willies golf cart service and they will come to your house and fix it.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

For those who use Willie Wilcoxin like myself, I called week before last and no return call for 3 days. I called again last week and the recording said Willie was having open heart surgery that day. I don't know what the other employees are doing, I haven't had Willie himself the last 5 years, two other guys, one was his son have done my maintenance. I was thinking of calling Todd Casey, but he was highly recommended on couple of other threads for LED lights and seat belts, so I figured he might be busy and I'll call after the holidays if no one from Willie calls me back. There is also Tire Choice at Colony, I've used them myself about 7 or 8 years ago. I wouldn't take my car there but for a cart they did everything including rotating the tires for $50. I called them and it's now $60 and no appointment necessary.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
For those who use Willie Wilcoxin like myself, I called week before last and no return call for 3 days. I called again last week and the recording said Willie was having open heart surgery that day. I don't know what the other employees are doing, I haven't had Willie himself the last 5 years, two other guys, one was his son have done my maintenance. I was thinking of calling Todd Casey, but he was highly recommended on couple of other threads for LED lights and seat belts, so I figured he might be busy and I'll call after the holidays if no one from Willie calls me back. There is also Tire Choice at Colony, I've used them myself about 7 or 8 years ago. I wouldn't take my car there but for a cart they did everything including rotating the tires for $50. I called them and it's now $60 and no appointment necessary.
We use Todd Casey and have been happy with his service. Sometimes Todd comes by , but other times one of his couple of other workers shows up. His workers are excellent mechanics but lack Todd’s customer service skills. This time of year they usually have a couple of weeks backlog with all the snowbirds showing up to find they have gummed up carburetors in their carts because they don’t use gas with no ethanol.

Here is hopping Willie recovers quickly.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:53 AM

happen to me a few weeks ago 2014 Yamaha broken throttle spring .I removed plate on cart floor reconnect spring all better,, 25 minute fix
Old 01-02-2021, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Call Todd Casey. He was at my house last week
Old 01-05-2021, 12:15 AM
Gold member

Yamaha has an open recall on the accelerator return spring failing. Take it to The Villages Golf Cars and they will immediately fix it for free. Call them and they will probably come get your cart.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Have you checked to make sure your floor mat, if you have one, isn't slid forward, pushing against the pedal?

It's clearly a problem with the pedal, throttle cable or something going on at the engine where the cable connects.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:16 AM

Please update after you get that issue repaired! Thank you
Old 01-06-2021, 03:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Yamaha has an open recall on the accelerator return spring failing. Take it to The Villages Golf Cars and they will immediately fix it for free. Call them and they will probably come get your cart.
What year(s) of cart?
Closed Thread

Tags
engine, shut, normal, stop, reverse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.