Golf Cart Gas Mileage

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2021, 08:08 AM
Default Non-Ethanol Gas for Cart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Yamaha strongly recommends recreational gas which is expensive. My car gets better mileage then my golf cart.
got the same advice from vendor when I bought a used Club Car cart this week. WHERE can i get the non-ethanol gas in or around TV?
Old 07-26-2021, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVP View Post
got the same advice from vendor when I bought a used Club Car cart this week. WHERE can i get the non-ethanol gas in or around TV?
I know I've seen it at the Marathon at Pinellas Plaza and I believe the Marathon at Lake Deaton Plaza had it as well.

I don't use it in mine. I'll need to check the manual again but I believe both that and the fuel tank itself says E10 is acceptable. The reason I was given for using the non-ethanol was that it was better if the golf cart sat unused for long periods of time. Mine doesn't.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-27-2021, 05:52 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default mileage

no idea how many mpg i get, but fill it up every other week
Old 07-27-2021, 06:34 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

50 mpg on my 2013 4 seater Yamaha, no matter how I drive.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
The Villages Gold Car gas pumps have non ethanol gas. As mentioned in this thread, the non ethanol is good if your car will be sitting unused for a while.

I dont know the impact on fuel efficiency.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Not much. 10% ethanol fuel has about 3% less energy than ethanol-free fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
The Villages Gold Car gas pumps have non ethanol gas. As mentioned in this thread, the non ethanol is good if your car will be sitting unused for a while.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:42 AM

I somehow suspect that if you are getting 50+ mpg, you are driving so slow you have a line of carts behind you swearing at you quite often :-)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Where is the Dollar Tree store that is accessible in golf cart?
Next to Walmart, behind Sonic on 441.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Most of the gas stations that are right on the perimeter of the Villages, shell stations, Colony plaza's station, the Wawa on 441 across from the hospital, all have a couple of pumps that offer ethanol-free gas. Also all Villages Golf Car shops have pumps. I have only been to the one at Spanish Springs area, that one is self-serve only, no cash, and you can fill up any time of day or night since it's unattended.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:31 PM

Not sure it is true, but i heard the ethanol is really only an issue if the cart sits (e.g. snowbird carts). This corn gas stuff decompose, gunks up carbs and burns through gaskets as it;'s been explained to me....but if you are burning gas and not letting it set for a period of time it is OK. Having said that, the recreational gas per tank isn't much more $$ than normal gas and is i think 90 octane....so i go for it.

I had wondered if, in this heat, if running a higher octane gas is even better (if memory serves me, higher octane burns cooler). After putting about 50 miles on my cart yesterday, the engine area was clearly hot. I would not be surprised if the gas was boiling at those temps. I did notice whenever i would start out on a new venture, the cart bogged hard for about the first 500 yards but then it wold come around and be a bit snapper....no clue if there is a correlation between heat (vapor lock, boiling gas, etc.?) and that behavior....anybody else experience this?....also curious if there may be any validity to running the highest octane available on these really hot times.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Golf cart engines are low compression and run fine on regular 87 octane fuel, with 10% ethanol, as preignition is not an issue. Use whatever you want but 87 octane gas, with 10% ethanol, is fine. When in doubt, read your owner's manual. Ethanol will absorb moisture with time and potentially cause some issues. However, if you are using your cart regularly it should not be an issue.

If your cart is going to sit for several months then filling up with ethanol-free before you leave, and adding a fuel stabilizer, might be worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarOnMyTongue View Post
Not sure it is true, but i heard the ethanol is really only an issue if the cart sits (e.g. snowbird carts). This corn gas stuff decompose, gunks up carbs and burns through gaskets as it;'s been explained to me....but if you are burning gas and not letting it set for a period of time it is OK. Having said that, the recreational gas per tank isn't much more $$ than normal gas and is i think 90 octane....so i go for it.

I had wondered if, in this heat, if running a higher octane gas is even better (if memory serves me, higher octane burns cooler). After putting about 50 miles on my cart yesterday, the engine area was clearly hot. I would not be surprised if the gas was boiling at those temps. I did notice whenever i would start out on a new venture, the cart bogged hard for about the first 500 yards but then it wold come around and be a bit snapper....no clue if there is a correlation between heat (vapor lock, boiling gas, etc.?) and that behavior....anybody else experience this?....also curious if there may be any validity to running the highest octane available on these really hot times.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
my new yamaha 2021, one mouth old gets 47mpg, my camry hybrid gets 55mpg.

comparing lawnmower engine to hybrid? Lawnmower engine are not to efficient based on 70 plus years design. IMO 47 or even 53 is outstanding, I rarely get over 42 mpg in my Fuel injected Yamaha.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarOnMyTongue View Post
I somehow suspect that if you are getting 50+ mpg, you are driving so slow you have a line of carts behind you swearing at you quite often :-)
I agree, must have light foot or mathematical error? I never get close to 50 plus MPG.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post

No impact of efficiency, it’s actually better without ethanol. We can debate how mush better, but it is better.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjd3104 View Post
Sorry for being off topic, but can anyone tell me how to start a new thread? I see no place/button to do so.

Thanks
You can’t start new thread in a thread, click out and click on topic you want to post in. When it come’s up you will see at top. Post New thread highlighted in red, just click in it.
Closed Thread

Tags
mileage, miles, time, cart, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.