Golf Cart height for tunnels

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2019, 10:49 AM
Default Golf Cart height for tunnels

Hello,

I would like to have this confirmed by someone who has a lifted cart, what is the maximum height that a golf cart can be to go through ALL the Villages golf cart path tunnels? I’m bringing down a 2019 factory lifted Onward Club car. According to a dealer in the Villages it should not be an issue, they indicated that they have tested this. The height of the Onward is just under 83”. Is there someone that can confirm the heights of all the tunnels or direct me to some official in The Villages where I can have this confirm please? Thank you.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Almost all the golf cart tunnels I've been through have a curved roof. I guess in the beginning whoever made the original forms thought that looked better than squared corners. You'll probably be OK, but you'll have to enter in the middle, so you'll have to be diligent about oncoming traffic.

Some tunnels like at Buena Vista and Odell you're going down a sloped ramp and then a hard right into the tunnel. That's going to be tough to not catch the roof of the cart on the corner of the tunnel and to see traffic coming out of a dark tunnel while you're in bright sunlight.

Also if you play golf, I once rode 18 holes with a fellow who had a jacked up cart. It's gets tiresome after a while hopping up and down to get in and out for each shot.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 11-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Sage

This topic has already been covered here: Height and Width of tunnels for carts?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

For the tunnels north of 466 the highest point of the tunnel (center) is 82". The shortest point is along the curve which is 66". The tunnels south of 466, highest point - 99" in the center, sides along curve - 85". This from the VCDD

Like stated, there are quite a few discussions on this if you do a search

Steve
Old 11-24-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeau View Post
Hello,

I would like to have this confirmed by someone who has a lifted cart, what is the maximum height that a golf cart can be to go through ALL the Villages golf cart path tunnels? I’m bringing down a 2019 factory lifted Onward Club car. According to a dealer in the Villages it should not be an issue, they indicated that they have tested this. The height of the Onward is just under 83”. Is there someone that can confirm the heights of all the tunnels or direct me to some official in The Villages where I can have this confirm please? Thank you.
I asked the exact same question not too long ago. Wife has a lifted 2019 onward as well. We are good on every tunnel south of 466. The tunnel lights going under Stillwater East of Buena Vista will just barely scrape if you drift toward the center. Her biggest problem is the true ride height is closer to 81.5” and it’s the exact height as our garage header(CYV) so she scrapes if not going super slow entering or exiting. The shape of the roof actually has about a 3” flex cap that’s not structural and the worse you will do is make some scratch’s. Enjoy the Onward, I love her cart way more then my Yamaha!!!

Cheers
Old 11-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Default Golf Cart Paths & Tunnels

Hello,

I have a 2019 Club Car Onward that has the factory lift kit on it and a factory roof. The roof is not flat and bows outward to a height of just under 83”. I was told my a local Villages dealer that these carts were tested in all tunnels and there are no issues. Can someone with a similar cart or someone that knows the total height of the tunnels please confirm that we will have no issues in any of the tunnels throughout the Villages? This might be especially important in the older section where I believe tunnels might have been lower then the newer tunnels. Thank you.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeau View Post
Hello,

I have a 2019 Club Car Onward that has the factory lift kit on it and a factory roof. The roof is not flat and bows outward to a height of just under 83”. I was told my a local Villages dealer that these carts were tested in all tunnels and there are no issues. Can someone with a similar cart or someone that knows the total height of the tunnels please confirm that we will have no issues in any of the tunnels throughout the Villages? This might be especially important in the older section where I believe tunnels might have been lower then the newer tunnels. Thank you.
Tunnel Heights Between 466 & 466A
Old 11-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Should be fine as long as you don't get too close to the edge of the tunnel on the older arched tunnels north of 466, especially the tunnels in the area between Glenview and Lopez. We have a three inch lift on our club car so it can accommodate 10" tires withou rubbing in the wheel wells. It is possible to have the right edge of the cart roof contact the tunnel if you cut it very close to the right when entering/exiting the tunnel. This can be easily be seen by just looking at he scrap marks on the edge of the tunnels.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

My first thought? why would you jack up golf cart for village purposes? it make the center of gravity higher which means easier to tip over. Most jacked up carts have the low profile tires. again? Why would you put low profile tires on golf cart? They have small side walls and If you don’t replace The shocks to absorb more it make the ride harsher due to no side wall cushion which absorbs ruff payment and bumps assisting the shocks.I see damage spots on most tunnels where drivers cut in to sharp and hit the side of the tunnel walls. But, that maybe to bad drivers and not jacked up carts?
Old 11-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Take a little air out of the tires. Some want 25-28 lbs. They'll run OK at 22-23.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:03 AM

This is just "my opinion", but I believe a lifted cart is much more likely to tip over due to a higher center of gravity if a sudden evasive maneuver is made. Carts are "tippy" vehicles when they are stock, let alone lifted. My friends have a stock Yamaha Drive 4 place cart that scrapes the tunnels north of 466 if they don't stay right next to the center line of these tunnels. Their roof is higher in the back. The front clears, but the back scrapes if they're not careful.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycox8ball@gmail.com View Post
This is just "my opinion", but I believe a lifted cart is much more likely to tip over due to a higher center of gravity if a sudden evasive maneuver is made. Carts are "tippy" vehicles when they are stock, let alone lifted. My friends have a stock Yamaha Drive 4 place cart that scrapes the tunnels north of 466 if they don't stay right next to the center line of these tunnels. Their roof is higher in the back. The front clears, but the back scrapes if they're not careful.
If you have to stay in the center of the tunnel, what happens if another cart is coming from the other way? The shortest tunnel I think is the one over by the Polo Field, then when you get to the other side there's a a sharp turn, depends which way you're coming thru. Besides way would the cart dealers even want to try & sell this type of cart?
Old 11-26-2019, 12:21 PM

We have a lifted Crown electric golf cart. We have had it for two years and have not experienced any problems. It has been to all areas between 466A and just north of 466; no problems. The only cautionary procedure I employ is to not get very close to the left shoulder in the tunnels. I do not drive in the center of any tunnel; always to the right of center. Mine has a level roof; not raised as mentioned in an above post. In addition, due to fact that is electric it is not "tippy" at all. This is due to the fairly heavy low mounted battery pack which essentially lowers the COG.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, The 2019 Club Car Onward I am bringing has a factory lift of 6" and has 23x10R14 rim and tires. Like I said previously, the factory roof is not flat and is concave outwards at the center of the roof line and is just under 83" high from ground to the center of the roof. Not sure if that is much higher than your cart TOPHCFA
Old 11-26-2019, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
If you have to stay in the center of the tunnel, what happens if another cart is coming from the other way? The shortest tunnel I think is the one over by the Polo Field, then when you get to the other side there's a a sharp turn, depends which way you're coming thru. Besides way would the cart dealers even want to try & sell this type of cart?
IMO the tunnel at saddlebrook under BV is the lowest tunnel roof I’ve been through also. Jacked up par carts I bet have less than 2” clearance.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.