Old Used Carts

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2014, 03:36 AM
Veteran member
Default Old Used Carts

I did a search and could not find an answer here. There are several older carts for sale on this site and others. Some as old as 15 years (most with rebuilt engines). Just wondering is there a rule of thumb for never buy older than? In other words, if it is older than 10 years, you really should stay away etc?

I used to work for Briggs and Stratton, I am very well versed in Engines so I know that almost all the problems are going to come from the Carburetor and you can just clean it or replace it. I am more worried about other stuff.

Anyone had experience?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:14 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Golf carts seem to chug along forever. As you said, older carts are frequently refurbished. Some have had engines replaced. So, I don't think there really is a rule of thumb about age. Just check it out carefully.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Golf carts seem to chug along forever. As you said, older carts are frequently refurbished. Some have had engines replaced. So, I don't think there really is a rule of thumb about age. Just check it out carefully.

"Frank7" is the owner of Sta-Rite Carts and has excellent knowledge of carts.

You could send him a PM with your concerns or call 352.326.3100.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

I would be more concerned about suspension, brakes, and steering. Most can tell if the engine run right, don't smoke, and has good power. Why buy real old Cart when 4 to 7 years are plentiful and reasonable priced. IMO the brakes, front end bushing, steering and maintenance record are often over looked when buying used anything.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The need for routine maintenance is something that can be easily ignored or misunderstood because the carts do just chug along...except for a dirty carb, dead battery or burned out electric motor. All of which inspire us to action because the cart stops working.

All those other things like brakes and suspension or even the simple task of tightening loose hardware just continues without until it is too late....and something breaks or doesn't work or doesn't stop.

Routine maintenance is usually not something many are interested in doing or having done.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I did a search and could not find an answer here. There are several older carts for sale on this site and others. Some as old as 15 years (most with rebuilt engines). Just wondering is there a rule of thumb for never buy older than? In other words, if it is older than 10 years, you really should stay away etc?

I used to work for Briggs and Stratton, I am very well versed in Engines so I know that almost all the problems are going to come from the Carburetor and you can just clean it or replace it. I am more worried about other stuff.

Anyone had experience?
I just sold my trusty '95 Club Car DS, and hated to see it go, but I needed space more than I needed a second cart. I chose to sell it vs my 2005 Precedent because the '05 is a four seater. The '95 never let me down, and I actually used it exclusively as my golf cart vs street use. It was a 48 V configured 6X 8. When I bought it, the batteries were almost four years old, and never gave me any problems. I bought it because we were having company and intended to sell it after they left, but liked it too much and hung on to it for almost a year.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We bought a used four seater gas Yamaha when we first moved here almost eight years ago...it was a couple of years old. As far as maintenance it is like any other motor vehicle, my husband tells me.. We replaced the battery once. It is still working like a charm. (I know. I know) knocking on my desk.

It is my cart and it has been greatly improved by new seat cushions and and new zippered covering and of course, The OHIO STATE logo on the front. Sweetie drives a Parcar that he purchased from someone who was moving to Scotland. He enjoys it very much.

He is a good automotive guy so I know he does all the stuff to keep them running.

Very lucky to have his expertise and love our carts.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

Carts in TV are used as cars. A 10 or 15 year old carts probably have a ton of miles on them.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post

Anyone had experience?
My opinion for what its worth change oil and grease it twice a year it'll run till your tired of looking at it

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.