Golf cart: Is Polaris Gem a good golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2021, 10:23 AM
Default Golf cart: Is Polaris Gem a good golf cart?

We are moving to the Villages and are looking to purchase a new electric golf cart.
Have you heard anything about the Polaris Gem golf cart?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2021, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

I played golf the other day with a guy who had one and asked how he liked it. He proceeded to go through a very long laundry list of all the problems he has had with both the cart and the dealership. Based on that, I would stay away.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:37 AM
Gold member

If you're set on an electric cart, look at the new Atomic golf carts. You can even get them with heat and AC! Atomic Cool Kartz

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 03-02-2021, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
If you like the idea of an electric cart, but like the street legal capability of the Gem, but how about adding A/C to the mix. You can take Kahuna's advice and look at the very similar Atomic Cars sold across from Brownwood for about $15,000. Here's the latest style.

Atomic Cool Kartz

The Villages Florida

Also new to the market, another electric Chinese built street legal car is Crown, which has a dealership right in Wildwood behind Russel Stover Candy. They're also air conditioned like the Atomic and also in the $15,000 range new.

Crown Carts

The Villages Florida

Gem Cars as most of us remember, looked like an Easter egg and were cute and you could buy a new one for $15,000 and find used one all the time for $8,000 to $10,000. They've gone up in price, and I'm not even sure if they have A/C. Here's a new one at Bill Bryan in Lady Lake for $23,000.

The Villages Florida

Here's a used Gem car more like you might see running around in TV, this is a 2016 for sale in Sanford for $9,000. One disadvantage only 35 mile range on a charge. Here's a link to more used models for sale. Attention Required! | Cloudflare

The Villages Florida

Street legal means you can drive on roads that have a speed limit of 35 and cross over roads with a speed limit of 45, in many cases that's not really safe mixing with cars, SUVs and trucks. Most roads in The Villages (TV) have multi-modal paths (MMP) along side or a golf cart lane, so you can take your regular golf cart just about anywhere without being street legal within TV. The street legal electric cars have some advantages, but the extras costs involved for street legal and the danger mixing with cars, makes an electric golf cart really the best all around vehicle on and off the golf course if you don't want a gas cart.

Right here in TV, at their Golf Cart stores at Spanish Springs (SS) Lake Sumter Landing (LSL) Colony and Brownwood, they sell EZ-GO Golf Carts. They are mostly electric. Batteries will last 4 to 5 years instead of 2 years like Gem. Batteries will cost about $700 instead of $1500 like Gem or Atomic, an electric golf cart is way better I believe for your needs.

Home Page - The Villages Golf Cars : The Villages Golf Cars

EZ-GO has come out with some nice styles, here's 2021 EZ-GO RXV cart in stock in TV Golf Cart store right now.

The Villages Florida

Here's a 2021 EZ-GO slightly different style.

The Villages Florida

You'll notice these will have extras that a basic golf cart sold elsewhere will not have, which is why you might see a base price of $9,000 elsewhere. They have the Sunbrella shades that can roll down and protect you against rain and wind. They have upgraded El Tigre Seats with armrests and seat belts, SS wheels, 10" size wheels, turn signals, big side rearview mirrors with turn signals, matching colored roof, floor mats, speedometers, sand bottles, a sweater basket in the rear, golf bag bracket, and so on. That's why a cart may have a list price of $13,000 to $15,000, this is what's called Village ready.
EZGO now has the high output Lithium batteries that will last a 8-10 years. Hold on to your wallet if you want to go this route.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Lithium Ion batteries are the way to go. They don't require watering and won't lose their charge if you leave them unused during the summer months. And they are far lighter, too. I would expect the prices to come down over the years since they are "new" to golf carts right now. And I would also pick a cart with A/C motors over D/C. Not all carts with lithium ion batteries are A/C. Carts with D/C motors lose torque and speed going uphill.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I have an Atomic and it has lithium batteries (and A/C and heat & wipers and power windows etc) and is NOT street legal as it doesn't have to be unless that is what you want which requires trucking it to Ocala for inspection , plates, "real" auto insurance etc. This is my 2nd Atomic. First was street legal and had sealed gel batteries and I went through 2 sets very quickly. I have about 12,000 miles over 2+ years on this one and the lithium batteries have not degraded 1 iota. I have been getting the same mileage on it since the day I got it (~65 per charge - a bit less with A/C and a lot less with heat which I have used maybe once). If you get electric, if you can get lithium. Retro fitting carts with lithium I would guess takes about 400 lbs off it and probably creates more of a tip over risk unless they somehow make up the weight since they are designed based based on the weight of the batteries helping maintain the COG. I do notice some loss of torque going up a long steep hill like O'Dell but still easily maintain 20mph. If I get a "running start" can do a lot better. No problems on the tunnel hills.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieakw View Post
We are moving to the Villages and are looking to purchase a new electric golf cart.

Thanks
I have a 2015 Gem Car two seater. I purchased it new in April 2015. It is decertified as a street legal, meaning I don't have to license it or insure it as a car. I just recently replaced the batteries. I have the 9 8 volt battery set up and my normal range is about 40 miles. The newer ones have lithium as an option.

We like the three point seat belts like you have in your car that come standard. The roof is also designed like a roll bar that will support the weight of the vehicle if you end up on your roof. It has a nice ride, you sit up a bit higher and is very comfortable. So I provide that as an owner of one. The newer ones are even better.

George
Old 03-03-2021, 06:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Lithium Ion batteries are the way to go. They don't require watering and won't lose their charge if you leave them unused during the summer months. And they are far lighter, too. I would expect the prices to come down over the years since they are "new" to golf carts right now. And I would also pick a cart with A/C motors over D/C. Not all carts with lithium ion batteries are A/C. Carts with D/C motors lose torque and speed going uphill.
I agree. When it came time to buying a new golf cart, I ordered an EZgo with the biggest lithium-ion battery pack. The batteries have an eight year guarantee. Most electric batteries need to have their water checked, and some here have automatic waTering systems. They can be finicky about how they are charged, lest they stop taking a full charge. Lithium-ion batteries are smaller, lighter by hundreds of pounds, don’t need filling, and have no charging memory. If you just want to drive your cart without thinking about all these things, Lithium-ion is the way to go. I considered a Yamaha, like most people here, as they have so many strong qualities, but with GM going to all electric vehicles, that may happen here, too. The lithium-ion batteries in an EZgo are a lot like Tesla batteries.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

TV is too big, go gas.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
If you're set on an electric cart, look at the new Atomic golf carts. You can even get them with heat and AC! Atomic Cool Kartz
I drove an atomic and found it was safe and comfortable, ac, heat, windshield wipers and more
Old 03-03-2021, 08:10 AM

We love ours!
Old 03-03-2021, 08:22 AM

If you get anything other than a standard “golf cart”, make sure you have it equipped with, or can get golf course approved tires. If not you will not be able to use it on the golf courses.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Default We looked at them, check actual reviews on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieakw View Post

Thanks
Wife loves the look of them, so when it was time to get another one (replacing a Club Car) we looked at them, we went to Bill Bryant and drove one, really nice cart, we looked at the Atomic also, did not wanted a Gasoline cart since our needs do not require them, finally after a lot of comparison and costs of operation, we found a used one that met all our check list items (first was my wife loved the style and the color Orange, we chose (don’t laugh, they are great) a 2014 Tomberlin that had 2200 miles on it. This cart is solid, 48 Volt (yes lead/acid batteries) 3 point seat belts, hydraulic disk brakes on all 4 wheels, 2 speed electric motor, full automotive Windshield with electric wiper, 2 separate glove boxes with locks, 10” oversized tires, full locking trunk, Aluminum Wheels, automotive Type Emergency Brake, built in charger, automatic battery filler, built in smart charger (it read the batteries and charges them according to needs) I purchased it by trading the 1998 Club Car and a few dollars more, I was looking at a $12k to 20k expenditure and ended up saving a lot of money. Had it now for 18 months and I love it even more, next time batteries are due, I will look into Lithium/Ion batteries, but if is not broken, don’t fix it. I am more than impressed with this cart and frankly love it. There are too many carts brands around and all of them have pluses and minuses. There are not that many Tomberlin there as they were sold to Columbia/Par Cart (I think) Like I said before we love ours!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, polaris, gem, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.