Golf cart: Is Polaris Gem a good golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2021, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The GEM is an LSV and it is required that you register and insure it. I drove one once and found it to be very uncomfortable.

The upside is that you can drive it on all the roads in The Villages that have a speed limit of 35mph of lower.

The downside is that you'll be in a vehicle that is only capable of going 25mph on roads where cars and trucks are normally traveling at 40mph.

IMHO, it's not worth the extra additional expense to save yourself a few minutes on trips. I also think that the range is kind of limited.

If you want an electric with a lot of range look toward lithium ion batteries. My preference is ClubCar but most companies have them as an option.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Doc, after reading post #9 from an actual Gem Car owner, it appears that street legal GEM can be decertified and it can become a regular cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF Doc
I have a 2015 Gem Car two seater. I purchased it new in April 2015. It is decertified as a street legal, meaning I don't have to license it or insure it as a car. I just recently replaced the batteries. I have the 9 8 volt battery set up and my normal range is about 40 miles. The newer ones have lithium as an option.

We like the three point seat belts like you have in your car that come standard. The roof is also designed like a roll bar that will support the weight of the vehicle if you end up on your roof. It has a nice ride, you sit up a bit higher and is very comfortable. So I provide that as an owner of one. The newer ones are even better.

George
Old 03-03-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieakw View Post
We are moving to the Villages and are looking to purchase a new electric golf cart.
Have you heard anything about the Polaris Gem golf cart?

Thanks
We have 2 Tomberlin electric golf carts and love them. Both have a range of about 50-60 miles so no problem with running out of juice. We have been all over The Villages in both of them. The dealership is Luxus Tomberlin in Leesburg. They deliver and come and check the cart every 6 months to make sure everything is OK. Nice to work with.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=nhtexasrn;1910286]We have 2 Tomberlin electric golf carts and love them. Both have a range of about 50-60 miles so no problem with running out of juice. We have been all over The Villages in both of them. The dealership is Luxus Tomberlin in Leesburg. They deliver and come and check the cart every 6 months to make sure everything is OK. Nice to work with. Oh, and we love that they not noisy like the gas carts.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:56 AM

The GEM are still what I'd consider a new product. Personally, I'd stay away and go with something more conventional (established) like the RXV. Pick the lithium batteries and AC motors.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieakw View Post
We are moving to the Villages and are looking to purchase a new electric golf cart.
Have you heard anything about the Polaris Gem golf cart?

Thanks
It is all a matter of opinion For all of us, including me, our opinion is based on the choice we have made.
My opinion. Whatever, golf cart, or anything else you/we buy will it need service? For a more expensive thing such as a golf cart, or any vehicle of course it will need service.
Parts availability? Accessory availability? For me, I would choose either a Yamaha, or a Club car. As they are the most popular there is no shortage of parts, accessories or places to get it serviced.

If, I'm not mistaken the Gem was originally sold by Chrysler. I think it is independent now. They are designed as a sort of shuttle vehicle for large factory transportation.
Higher speed that the 15 mph design of a golf cart that we boost to 20 mph the legal speed where you do not need to purchase insurance or need a driver's license. I think the gem has both front and rear brakes where as the Yamaha and Club car have only rear brakes. That is superior. Less prone to skidding. It is possible to ave them adjusted to not go over 20 mph.

Opinion, there are many choices. I did my reading. We narrowed it down to either
Yamaha or Club car. We wanted Gas not electric because of the range and frankly contrary to what many people might say, I find the electric golf carts too quiet-people
may not hear you. I've had people in electric golf carts pass me on my bike and you are unaware of them.

We have a Yamaha, gas fuel injected golf cart that we use almost every day and it is eight years old. No regrets.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:19 PM

I have a neighbor that has one for sale. Call 801-541-6000
Thx
Old 03-04-2021, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwood4d View Post
The GEM are still what I'd consider a new product. Personally, I'd stay away and go with something more conventional (established) like the RXV. Pick the lithium batteries and AC motors.
I've been in The Villages for almost nine years and GEMS have been here since then at least. I don't know how you would call them a new product.

According to Wikipedia GEM has been manufacturing LSVs since 2001.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:28 PM
Thumbs down Lots of Choices

There are so many choices for carts! I do want to say, beware of Crown Carts in Wildwood. I had such a bad experience with them. I bought a brand new cart and in a few months was back and fourth 7 times for repairs. The carts are so hot because they are all glass and they have little windows that you slide, if your claustrophobic your in trouble. The a/c can't keep up either. Don't waste your time there...
Old 04-21-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

I recently got stuck behind a Polaris Gem going over the Lake Sumter bridge. The wheel base on those carts is much wider than a typical golf cart. The GEM’s wheels on one side were literally scraping the curbing and the wheels on the other side were straddling the center line. When carts were coming from the other direction, both passing carts had to slow down to a crawl to pass with only inches to spare. I would not want a cart with that wide a wheel base unless it was strictly for street legal road use.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

The Gem is a cool looking cart but that is all I know about it. If I were to buy electric I would look at EZ Go, Club Car or Yamaha as some of the others the looks are not appealing to us.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

A couple of points to bring out about GEM carts. They are tall beware of tunnels. They are also street legal and if registered are not allowed on the MMPs. When licensed they are registered motor vehicles. No different than taking a car on the MMPs. Before you jump on me that was straight from the sheriffs mouth at a golf cart safety course years gone bye. But his next words were like bicycles and stop signs. The law could be enforced. Get it ? Thus if not allowed on MMPs no need to go through tunnels. Last they are cool looking and have great acceleration. They used to qualify for substantial tax credit as an electric vehicle. I do not know if that is still in effect. I would also suspect if given that credit it would have to be registered and licensed for a period of time before decertifying it. That makes sense or electric golf carts would get the credit.

Last edited by rustyp; 04-21-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, polaris, gem, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.