golf cart questions re fueling and tire pressure

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran member
Default golf cart questions re fueling and tire pressure

Unfortunately we're back in RI for a while but before we left I filled up my 2017 Yamaha gas cart for the first time at the Sumter Villages station. I believe it is ethanol free there. At Carts and Clubs they said to add the fuel stabilizer with each fill-up which I did. That's needed with the ethanol free gas too, correct?

Also is there a way to keep the seat in an upright position while you're taking the gas cap off and refueling. Maybe I missed that feature when everything was explained to me. I should mention that it is a custom seat. It's a bit of a pain holding the seat up.

Finally I was told that I should overinflate the tires for the 6 weeks that we will be gone. On the tire is says maximum inflation is 35 psi. Actual psi seemed to be about 18. Carts and clubs said to overinflate to about 30. The villages golf carts said 23-24 would be fine. I ended up inflating to 25. Any thoughts on this? What should the normal inflation be?

Thanks in advance for answering my newbie golf cart questions.
Bruce
Old 09-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I bought 2011 Yamaha Gas Cart new 6 years ago from TV Cart Store, it had and still does, Loadstar 205/65-10 Tires and they say right on the side 35psi and that is what I keep them at. I know under-inflated golf cart tires will wear out on the edge quickly.

The Villages Florida

The Stablizer that Carts & Clubs said to add was probably this, Sta-Bil Marine Stablizer for Ethanol Gas. Since you used ethanol free gas you won't need to use that anymore. Probably didn't hurt it, since I used ethanol gas and stablizer for 4 years and have been using ethanol free gas and no stablizer the last two years. A lot of stuff has gone through my tank by now.

The Villages Florida

I have Ultimate Seats in my cart installed when I bought it from TV and they look just like this. From TV they have an 18" long support arm with rubber ends that is under the seat with velcro and you just lift it out and prop up the seat with the support. Seems Carts & Clubs should included something similar.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I bought 2011 Yamaha Gas Cart new 6 years ago from TV Cart Store, it had and still does, Loadstar 205/65-10 Tires and they say right on the side 35psi and that is what I keep them at. I know under-inflated golf cart tires will wear out on the edge quickly.

The Villages Florida

The Stablizer that Carts & Clubs said to add was probably this, Sta-Bil Marine Stablizer for Ethanol Gas. Since you used ethanol free gas you won't need to use that anymore. Probably didn't hurt it, since I used ethanol gas and stablizer for 4 years and have been using ethanol free gas and no stablizer the last two years. A lot of stuff has gone through my tank by now.

The Villages Florida

I have Ultimate Seats in my cart installed when I bought it from TV and they look just like this. From TV they have an 18" long support arm with rubber ends that is under the seat with velcro and you just lift it out and prop up the seat with the support. Seems Carts & Clubs should included something similar.

The Villages Florida
Thanks John. Very helpful, as usual. I'm going to call Carts and Clubs tomorrow. When I had my questions on Saturday night, they were closed. I think the 35psi on the tires was the maximum but not quite sure why they would be only about 18.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:28 PM
Gold member

They probably recommend over inflating for storage, so they don't develop flat spots. I run mine at 25psi.
No need for ethanol treatment if you use ethanol free gas, however it's a good idea to use a fuel stabilizer if you are letting the cart sit un-used for awhile, keeps the gas fresh. I also use Sta-Bil Marine 360 stabilizer/ethanol treatment.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

I use a piece of wood, cut to the correct length to hold the seat up for refueling, checking the battery, etc., I just put the board between the seat bottom, and a convenient brace point.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:39 PM

25 PSI on the 205x65x10 tire is too low. When your out and about look at how many tires are worn on the inside and outside edge...That's due to low tire pressure. Many shops recommend 25 PSI for that tire, its too low. As stated, side wall says 35 psi and the rule of thumb is a 10% plus or minus from that number.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Do you have a home watch, we have our carts run once a week never any problems
Old 09-25-2017, 09:09 PM

I find the 5 gallon paint stirrer from HomeDepot or Lowes is the ideal size to hold the seat up during refueling.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Truman's famous line of please someone find me a one handed economist has application to all professions and trades.

I purchased a new Yamaha EFI gas Cart from Carts and Clubs I am looking at there typed maintenance instructions now.

Tire Pressure: for "8"inch tires about 20psi to 22psi and for "10"tires 22psi to 28psi. We prefer 25psi

EFI Model You may add fuel stablizer to the gasoline in your fuel tank . We recommend Fuel Med by Yamaha....
Also written at the bottom of the page Stabil or Seafoam.

Our seats have a center arm rest and that is what we use to keep the seat propped up when we gas up.

all of my neighbors own EFI Yamaha ranging from 2013 to 2017. all use less than 10% ethanol (circle K stations). None of my neighbors have used fuel stablizr and none of my neighbors have noticed an issue?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
25 PSI on the 205x65x10 tire is too low. When your out and about look at how many tires are worn on the inside and outside edge...That's due to low tire pressure. Many shops recommend 25 PSI for that tire, its too low. As stated, side wall says 35 psi and the rule of thumb is a 10% plus or minus from that number.
35 psi is for the "maximum load rating" per tire.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
35 psi is for the "maximum load rating" per tire.
Ok I remember reading maximum. So if that is the maximum, what is the optimum pressure?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

For the 10" Loadstar tires, I run 25-30 PSI. The lower pressures may give you a bit softer ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Ok I remember reading maximum. So if that is the maximum, what is the optimum pressure?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
For the 10" Loadstar tires, I run 25-30 PSI. The lower pressures may give you a bit softer ride.

We see the tires wear funny at the 25 PSI, so we do a minimum of 32, our customers have no issues with premature wear.

Also, tires should no be doing the work of suspension, so lowering the tire pressure would not be recommended.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My 10" Loadstar tires are wearing evenly at 25-30 PSI. There is usually no reason to run the maximum PSI (35) unless you have weight that is at the maximum that the tire can support. I am also running in the range recommended by Carts and Clubs, where I bought the cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
We see the tires wear funny at the 25 PSI, so we do a minimum of 32, our customers have no issues with premature wear.

Also, tires should no be doing the work of suspension, so lowering the tire pressure would not be recommended.

Last edited by tuccillo; 09-26-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, golf, carts, seat, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.