golf cart questions re fueling and tire pressure

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Gold member

Stabilzer is a scam. Had a 2001 Honda never used it never a problem. I have a 2003 Yamaha golf cart and use regular gas with 10% ethanol...zero problems. Tried stabilizer in Maine with my mower in the winter and blower in the summer....zero help. Spend and do what you want, but you're wasting your money. Tire pressure: I try to keep at what the tire itself says. It always drops during the year and I refill with air once a year. All good.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:06 PM

Checked my last service with TV Golf Carts. With 14 inch low profile tires they noted they were set at 22 in front and 24 in the rear.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
Checked my last service with TV Golf Carts. With 14 inch low profile tires they noted they were set at 22 in front and 24 in the rear.

I think they set them up this way so as not to tear up the golf courses. At those low pressures you will see abnormal wear patterns as well as decreased mpg. Set them according to the tire sidewall psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Gold member

I get more even wear with the 10" Load Star at 25psi.
At 35psi I got uneven wear at the center only.
Maybe the weight of the cargo is a factor...
Old 09-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Wear in the center is an indication of overinflation. The 10" Loadstar tires are rated at 910 pounds per tire at 35 PSI. Since your cart and passengers are nowhere near 3600 pounds, a lower inflation would be advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
I get more even wear with the 10" Load Star at 25psi.
At 35psi I got uneven wear at the center only.
Maybe the weight of the cargo is a factor...
Old 09-28-2017, 05:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

My 2010 cart from Carts and Clubs has a short strap under the seat that when the seat is up it will wrap around the steering wheel and hold the seat up. It's stuffed under the added foam and the seat bottom. They have been adding that strap to their carts for many years and doubt they stopped now. You wont see it unless you're looking for it.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
My 2010 cart from Carts and Clubs has a short strap under the seat that when the seat is up it will wrap around the steering wheel and hold the seat up. It's stuffed under the added foam and the seat bottom. They have been adding that strap to their carts for many years and doubt they stopped now. You wont see it unless you're looking for it.
Thanks. I'll look for that strap when I'm back in the Villages in November.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Stabilzer is a scam. Had a 2001 Honda never used it never a problem. I have a 2003 Yamaha golf cart and use regular gas with 10% ethanol...zero problems. Tried stabilizer in Maine with my mower in the winter and blower in the summer....zero help. Spend and do what you want, but you're wasting your money. Tire pressure: I try to keep at what the tire itself says. It always drops during the year and I refill with air once a year. All good.
Most if not all retail fuel additives are a waste, at a minimum, if not a total scam. Biggest benefit is placebo.

Source: lots of literature on the subject
Old 09-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Gold member
Default For my two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Unfortunately we're back in RI for a while but before we left I filled up my 2017 Yamaha gas cart for the first time at the Sumter Villages station. I believe it is ethanol free there. At Carts and Clubs they said to add the fuel stabilizer with each fill-up which I did. That's needed with the ethanol free gas too, correct?

Also is there a way to keep the seat in an upright position while you're taking the gas cap off and refueling. Maybe I missed that feature when everything was explained to me. I should mention that it is a custom seat. It's a bit of a pain holding the seat up.

Finally I was told that I should overinflate the tires for the 6 weeks that we will be gone. On the tire is says maximum inflation is 35 psi. Actual psi seemed to be about 18. Carts and clubs said to overinflate to about 30. The villages golf carts said 23-24 would be fine. I ended up inflating to 25. Any thoughts on this? What should the normal inflation be?

Thanks in advance for answering my newbie golf cart questions.
Bruce
RE: ethanol free gas and stabilizer.
Gasoline stbilizer has been in use long before there was unleaded gas or gasoline with alcohol in it. Sitting in a gas tank gasoline or even diesel fuel turns to a jelly. This jelly can and does plug up the small jets in either a carburetor of fuel injection. Perhas of some interest the active ingredient in the red Stabil is BHT the same anti oxidant added to many foods to prevent spoilage. The Blue product-the marine grade is supposed to prevent the alchohol in the fuel from absorbing moisture from the air.
While the blue product is slightly more expensive, the directions tell you to use less of it so the cost is about the same.
RE: way to keep the seat up.
I'm sure there are plenty of solutions. I just make my wife hold it uo. She drives it far more than I do anyway. A two person job, once a month is no big deal. The alcohol debate does not seem to die. Read the book that came with your Yamaha golf cart and it says it is OK to run on 10% ethanol fuel. The reason it is an issue is that some products may not have alcohol proof gaskets-rubber seals.
It was a common issue in outboard engines made before about 1970. The solution was easy. If, the engine was that old it was long past time to rebuild the carburetor anyway. You would buy the kit for ?????? about $12.00 at most and solve the problem. Next time you fuel your car, look on the side of the pump and it will say may contain up to 10% ethanol.
RE: Tire pressure
You state the tires say MAXIMUM pressure to be 35 psi. That is exactly what is says the maximum. You know in may things if 35 is good I will put in 50. You can inflate the tires to the point that they will blow up or depending on the way the tire is made, you can force air between the inside and outside of the tire creating a bubble. Sooner or later the bubble will pop. So your pump exuberance will cost you a new tire and perhaps a long walk home.
Twenty PSI is the pressure that yamaha states. The reason you were told to over-inflate the tires is if they sit in the same position for a long time you will get a flat spot that will be disturbing till it hopefully goes back to round.
You may not have noticed but tires do loose pressure over time due to air leaking out. Also, the pressure of a gas (air in your tires) changes with temperature. It is now getting cooler so the pressure in all of your tires will drop.

YOUR CHOICE OF 25 WILL BE FINE. WHEN, THEY SAY 30 THEY HAVE MET THE GUY THAT IF THEY WERE TO SAY 35 AS WRITTEN ON YOUR TIRE HE WOULD GO FOR 50.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

I'm not worried about tire wear on my golf cart. What I am worried about is my back going over the street drains crossing the streets. So, I set my rear pressure to absorb the shock on my back which about 18 psi sweat spot for me. I am not over weight so I don't have to blow the tires up to maximum pressure so the don't look flat. As far as fuel additive or stabilization IMO it cheap engine insurance, 5 bucks not going to break me. I'm glad to hear people actually check their tire pressure. Now, if they would just check the oil on gas carts. (ones that don't do it between oil changes) we may have accomplished something. Why, cause that's probably $3k million dollar question when the cart makes that strange clanking sound of main bearing failing.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, golf, carts, seat, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.