Golf cart running hot

Golf cart running hot

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 12-02-2018, 11:18 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
Loose battery connection would be the most common and due to the fact that it heats up so quick. Its not the controller for sure.
Didn’t mention how old batteries or cables were? I was thinking cables internally corroded?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Batteries and battery cables are new, and tight, and there is no sign of any heat amongst them after running the cart

It is whatever is in the two black, plastic boxes under where the passenger sits that gets hot. The small box nearer the front (to which the forward/reverse lever connects) gets warm, but not that hot. We had that component replaced last year as, before that, it was definitely getting hot.

The larger box to the rear is very warm to the touch, which it never used to be. I have taken the cover off and there doesn't appear to be any damage or arcing in there, but I don't recall that one getting hot previously.

The person who fitted the new motor did tell Mrs Fox that she would have "the fastest 36v in The Villages" so I think the motor is too powerful for the original electrics and draws too much current, even though she doesn't go anywhere near full speed in it.

I shall be checking for binding brakes tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Batteries and battery cables are new, and tight, and there is no sign of any heat amongst them after running the cart

It is whatever is in the two black, plastic boxes under where the passenger sits that gets hot. The small box nearer the front (to which the forward/reverse lever connects) gets warm, but not that hot. We had that component replaced last year as, before that, it was definitely getting hot.

The larger box to the rear is very warm to the touch, which it never used to be. I have taken the cover off and there doesn't appear to be any damage or arcing in there, but I don't recall that one getting hot previously.

The person who fitted the new motor did tell Mrs Fox that she would have "the fastest 36v in The Villages" so I think the motor is too powerful for the original electrics and draws too much current, even though she doesn't go anywhere near full speed in it.

I shall be checking for binding brakes tomorrow.

Wrong motor for application.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

Brakes are not binding, so we have Willy Willcoxon coming out on Monday to cast his expert eye over it
Old 12-04-2018, 05:20 PM

Please do get back to us about what he finds.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
Please do get back to us about what he finds.
Will do, but while we're waiting for Willie's expert opinion on Monday, let me run this past the electrical engineers out there:

It is the controller that is running hot, and the controller "meters out the battery voltage and current to the motor based on some type of operator input such as a throttle. This allows for the operator to control the rate of acceleration and deceleration as well as the rate of speed the vehicle moves at."

Assuming that the recently-installed replacement motor is too powerful (draws too much current) for the existing electrics, could it be that Mrs Fox's going at a reduced speed is actually causing the controller to have to do too much work?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:06 AM

I am not an electrical engineer, but...

the controller is like a water valve that you can open and close or leave someplace in the middle. A 1/2 inch water valve can supply between 0 and 20 gallons of water per minute. a 3/4 inch water valve can supply between 0 and 40 gallons of water per minute.

Similarly, a controller can be small or big. A small one might provide between 0 and 100 amps, while a large one might provide between 0 and 200 amps (made up numbers).

A 'too powerful' motor cannot draw more power than the controller is designed to supply. If you have the same old small controller, a new 'more powerful' motor will only run as fast as the old one because it is only getting the juice that the old one got.

If your controller is getting hot, it is possible that it is dying or that the connections are indeed corroded or loose or something. All the juice from the batteries to the motor goes thru the controller.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
If your controller is getting hot, it is possible that it is dying...
Thank you for the explanation, Paul

The cart is 18 years old so it is quite possible that the controller needs to be replaced.

(Mrs Fox is even older, but I'll hang on to her a bit longer)
Old 12-05-2018, 08:04 PM

Your only as strong as your weakest part. A motor can try and pull a lot of amps, but the weakest link in the chain will show up. Controller can and will get hot with the wrong combo, but does have whats called, "thermal shutdown" built into it. Thus, if it gets internally to hot, it will shut down. See it way to often that a motor is put in, not for the good of the customer, but good for the installers pocket.
Now you could get talked into a controller that has more amps, and that will end that issue and the issue may go to the next weakest link. Controllers do fail over time, but not the way you are describing.
Old Today, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
We have Willy Willcoxon coming out on Monday to cast his expert eye over it
I know you are agog with indifference, so here goes:

Willy found a couple of loose wires in the controller so tightened them up, and checked all of the battery connections.

Unfortunately, what we all thought was going to be the quick fix turned out not to be the case, and the smell of hot electrics came on quicker and stronger next time we went out in the cart.

Willy returned and replaced the solenoid in the controller. That seems to have done the trick. There is still a slight smell of hot electrics (but only when you lift the seat, so maybe that is normal) and the covers on the fwd/rvs and the controller are only warm, not hot.

Tags
hot, motor, fox, mrs, running