I regularly see carts doing 30!!!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
Drive sometime on Pinellas Place.
I regularly see carts doing 30!!!
I see this regularly on Enrique, Morse, Madero, San Marino, Palo Alto, just to name some streets every day of the week at any hour. I'd take a wild guess 60 percent of all the golf carts in the villages are illegally set to run faster than 20 mph.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:29 PM

I don't know why this is a constant topic of conversation. Who cares. If someone passes me, it doesn't concern me or affect my life one bit. You want to pass me? Go ahead.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
I don't know why this is a constant topic of conversation. Who cares. If someone passes me, it doesn't concern me or affect my life one bit. You want to pass me? Go ahead.

EXACTLY!!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
I do think this speeding puts others at risk. It's only logical. Think about it.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
It's because of speed envy.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Bosoxfan

My Sentiments exactly....a voice of reason.
Quote:
Old 07-03-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
I have no problem with being passed by another cart. What's dangerous is when you are passed by a cart on either a blind corner or the passing cart cuts back in front of you expecting you to make an evasive maneuver while you get a one finger salute from the driver. Quite frankly these cart operators don't care because they know they will never be caught and won't have to answer for an incident they will cause. No way to trace or identify their cart. No responsibility any more in today's society.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:52 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I have no problem with being passed by another cart. What's dangerous is when you are passed by a cart on either a blind corner or the passing cart cuts back in front of you expecting you to make an evasive maneuver while you get a one finger salute from the driver. Quite frankly these cart operators don't care because they know they will never be caught and won't have to answer for an incident they will cause. No way to trace or identify their cart. No responsibility any more in today's society.
Now you address another subject entirely. it is referred to as "unsafe passing". the fact of the matter is the number one cause for an auto/cart accident is "distraction".

I contend because of the structure of MMP's the volume of pedestrian, bike cart traffic that a golf cart driver is lucky to average 17 mph.

I was behind a guy in his golf cart yesterday that cut across Canal to avoid turning left legally at the gate. it appeared as if he did not have the flexibility to properly maneuver his cart. he was traveling at 14-15 mph and I had to follow him until he made a right turn at the Stillwater Tunnel. Its was absolutely maddening but on that stretch of MMP passing is not safe because there are too many curves . as some may recall this is the stretch of MMP wherein TV added an additional walk area for pedestrian

The Villages is rapidly expanding and unless you desire to remain local you will be required to travel some distances for golf, etc. I desire to play both the courses north and south.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

There are no "speeding tickets" for golf carts. If your cart is going (or is simply able to go) over 20mph, you have an illegal vehicle. You don't even need to go over 20mph to get a fine for a illegal vehicle. The fine is around $255, and you have to get a mechanic to set it back to legal speed and show the certification to a judge. I can imagine there are plenty of Villagers willing to take this risk for a couple of extra miles of speed. Carts are not designed to go fast, and are risky to drive at higher speeds.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

The in-law's looked at new Yamaha cart at Carts and Clubs last week, and were told by a salesperson they set them to reach 24mph.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Careful what you wish for

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
how about some speed traps........and ticket$$$$
As I recall, the tragic accidents in The Villages (fatalities) were not caused by a golf cart going 24 mph, rather, by collision of a car and a golf cart. A golf cart, given its size, weight and safety equipment, is inheriting more dangerous than a car. Careful what you wish for.......a ticket will not change anything except your bank balance IMHO.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The in-law's looked at new Yamaha cart at Carts and Clubs last week, and were told by a salesperson they set them to reach 24mph.
That is very strange. It would be unusual for a business to make a policy in violation of state law. They could be fined, heavily, by the state. Even worse, they could be sued by anyone who gets a ticket, and God forbid, anyone hurt in an accident due to cart speed. I would question whether the in-laws heard correctly, and if they did, what was the salesman's understanding of golf cart speed. Every time I bring in my cart for yearly service (at Villages Carts, Brownwood) they have checked to make sure it can't EXCEED 20 mph.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Sage

What they experienced has been true in the past (and apparently still is today). I know people who have purchased golf carts from other dealers that have been set well above 20 mph. I know a number of people who have adjusted their governors. This is not unusual. There is no need to comment - just stating reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That is very strange. It would be unusual for a business to make a policy in violation of state law. They could be fined, heavily, by the state. Even worse, they could be sued by anyone who gets a ticket, and God forbid, anyone hurt in an accident due to cart speed. I would question whether the in-laws heard correctly, and if they did, what was the salesman's understanding of golf cart speed. Every time I bring in my cart for yearly service (at Villages Carts, Brownwood) they have checked to make sure it can't EXCEED 20 mph.

Last edited by biker1; 07-04-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, mph, cart, neighbor, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.