Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Gold member
Default For the confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
False.

Florida Golf Cart & Low Speed Vehicle Laws
Guidelines for Golf Carts and PTVs (Personal Transportation Vehicles)
A golf cart must be equipped with efficient brakes, reliable steering apparatus, safe tires, a rearview mirror, and red reflectorized warning devices in both the front and rear.
Operating a golf cart on public roads is prohibited unless the road has been determined safe*by local jurisdiction to be used by golf carts. In this case, there will be appropriate golf cart signs, etc.
Golf carts may only operate on streets with posted speed limits of 30 MPH and under. Golf carts may, however, cross streets with posted speed limits of 45 MPH and under- just not drive them.
Golf carts may only travel during daytime unless the local government has authorized night driving and the golf cart is equipped with headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and a windshield. Then, it may be used at night.
Golf carts may not be operated on public roads or streets by persons under the age of 14.
Golf carts are only allowed a max speed of 20 MPH or less.
The new 2017 Yamaha golf carts come set up to do 24 mph. That has led to the confusion.

Far as I know, or think I know, if your golf cart does over 20mph you need to have plates on it, insurance and it can only be driven by a licensed driver.

I often wonder. Anyone here is either retired or on vacation. HURRY UP AND RELAX explains my view of the people who need to do all the dumb things we see them doing.

As to brakes. If, you are not aware the golf carts only have brakes on the rear wheels. When you hit the brakes the weight shifts forward and it is easy to make it skid.

Then you have the four seaters. The golf cart weighs 1100 pounds. Figure average people in the cart at another 200 lbs each that is another 800 lbs. So you have a top heavy vehicle with only brakes on the rear wheels that handles like a brick and 20mph is not fast enough for you?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
The new 2017 Yamaha golf carts come set up to do 24 mph. That has led to the confusion.
...I often wonder. Anyone here is either retired or on vacation. HURRY UP AND RELAX explains my view of the people who need to do all the dumb things we see them doing...
All veterans are familiar with the term "Hurry Up and Wait", and TV is made up of 20.4% of veterans or roughly 1 in 5, so Hurry Up and Relax is the next logical step. If someone wants to go faster or pass, no big deal, go ahead be my guest. I don't drive my cart all that much since I only use it when I play golf. Going anywhere else, I prefer a radio and air conditioning, so the car is what I drive. I really don't see the big deal in driving a golf cart everywhere unless you like to sweat a lot.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
There are no "speeding tickets" for golf carts. If your cart is going (or is simply able to go) over 20mph, you have an illegal vehicle. You don't even need to go over 20mph to get a fine for a illegal vehicle. The fine is around $255, and you have to get a mechanic to set it back to legal speed and show the certification to a judge. I can imagine there are plenty of Villagers willing to take this risk for a couple of extra miles of speed. Carts are not designed to go fast, and are risky to drive at higher speeds.
Actually, see if you can find the story from the guy who passed a golf cart at a speed approaching 25. He was north of 466, as I recall, and was in the road passing when a cop saw him and eventually stopped him. The guy said he was charged with a felony because he drove a non-street legal cart at an excessive speed on a roadway. So there are tickets in such situations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2017, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth
There are no "speeding tickets" for golf carts. If your cart is going (or is simply able to go) over 20mph, you have an illegal vehicle. You don't even need to go over 20mph to get a fine for a illegal vehicle. The fine is around $255, and you have to get a mechanic to set it back to legal speed and show the certification to a judge. I can imagine there are plenty of Villagers willing to take this risk for a couple of extra miles of speed. Carts are not designed to go fast, and are risky to drive at higher speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
Actually, see if you can find the story from the guy who passed a golf cart at a speed approaching 25. He was north of 466, as I recall, and was in the road passing when a cop saw him and eventually stopped him. The guy said he was charged with a felony because he drove a non-street legal cart at an excessive speed on a roadway. So there are tickets in such situations.
You're both right since you're both saying the same thing, UpNorth is basically saying you're given an unregistered vehicle ticket, not a speeding ticket. Here's from a blog called "Inside the Bubble" and what really happens when stopped by the police for speeding in The Villages.

Recently my wife and I were going to Spanish Springs to meet another couple for dinner and a movie. Somewhere along Morse Blvd., out of the blue, I see a Deputy Sheriff on a motorcycle with his lights flashing behind me in the (Golf Cart) ‘Diamond Lane’.

I pulled to a stop and the Deputy informed me that I was exceeding 20mph in my “golf cart”. He gave me a slip of paper which stated that the Florida Statute 320.01 defines a golf cart. Because of this, when I exceeded 20 mph I was no longer in a golf cart but I was driving a motorized vehicle on public roads without proper registration or license. He then served me with a citation to that effect and told me it was a criminal offense.

He also said that if I produced a certified letter from a golf cart shop that the golf cart was adjusted to not exceed 20 mph the judge may let me off with just court costs. The citation had a date that I was to appear in the county court in Bushnell, FL. It also stated “Criminal Violation court appearance required”.

I thought to myself – here I am enjoying one of the most talked about benefits of “Florida’s Most Friendly City” on my way to a movie and I end up as a criminal.

I was very anxious so when I got home I searched the internet trying to find out how hot the water was that I was in. I went to TalkOfTheVillages and found some discussion related to my situation.

I went to the Sumter County Clerk website and found that a CLASS 2 Misdemeanor was a Criminal offense punishable with a fine of up to $500 and 6 months in the county jail.

I thought WHAT! – Morse Blvd. has a speed limit of 30mph – I was not going any speed close to the limit and I could end up fined and in jail because I was in a golf cart and not in a car. And in addition to that I will now have a CRIMINAL RECORD.

Going to Court

I appeared in court in Bushnell at 9:00 a.m. on the proper date. Misdemeanor offenses are prosecuted in Courtroom B of the court house. The Judge took time to explain in great detail how the pleading process worked and the procedure that followed each type of plea. He also said that he puts everyone on probation, usually for six months, to allow them time to pay the costs incurred. One important note stated by the judge is that he evaluates each case on its own merits, so a person should not expect the same sentencing as any other person who committed the same violation. His questions to each person who I witnessed appearing before him, including myself, were to clarify the violation and circumstances related to it.

When I was called to come before him, he read the charge and ask me for my plea. My plea was “No Contest” because I had no idea I was creating a criminal offense by driving the golf cart in excess of 20 mph. I now know I was wrong, but I didn’t even think I was speeding since Morse Blvd. has a 30 mph speed limit. Next time I want to go “speeding” in a golf cart, I’ll be bringing my trusty technology from Remotecarstarterhero.com. Eat that radars.

The Judge was very pleasant and professional while carrying out his duties. He didn’t fine me but told me I had court costs to pay and that he was withholding adjudication for which I am very grateful. Also, I was placed on probation until the costs were paid.

I then had some papers to sign in the court room. After this I went to the County Clerks office to setup payment and find out the amounts due ($253-court costs) and then to the cashiers office to pay – cash, credit card, (no personal checks). She sent me down the street to take the probation clerk my receipt. The lady at this office had me fill out more papers of personal info. for their system and pay them $50. This could only be a money order, nothing else – no cash, no check, no credit card only a money order. The lady in the office said I could get a money order at the Shell gas station on the corner. I walk to the gas station and gave the clerk $51.50 for the $50 money order. After I gave the lady in the probation office the $50 money order she said the case was closed and I should get written notification within a week.

All the people at the court house were nice and pleasant to deal with. That includes the clerks, the deputies, and the Judge.

It cost $304.50 at the court house and approximately $125.00 for the certification of the golf cart. TOTAL $429.50

At the end of the process you have a CRIMINAL RECORD.

NOTE: Before you can enter the court room you must be wearing long pants (no Shorts), a tucked in shirt that is buttoned up, no hat, no sunglasses, no chewing gum. If you do wear shorts, your case will be put last for the day, even though it may be 9am, you'll be there until the end of court.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:14 PM

Old 07-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
To be correct, he wasn't charged with a felony. He was charged with a misdemeanor criminal offense.

"I went to the Sumter County Clerk website and found that a CLASS 2 Misdemeanor was a Criminal offense punishable with a fine of up to $500 and 6 months in the county jail."
Old 07-04-2017, 11:57 PM
Platinum member

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 10-12-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:07 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default This Is Nothing burger

for 11 years that i have lived here this has been one of those obsessive topics that seems to never go away. Why? Its all about nothing.

the recent fatality did not occur because of speed. it occurred because a pedestrian chose to walk in a diamond lane causing the cart drive to leave it and get struck.

while residents have been clamoring for cops to arrest golf cat speeders I have been complaining about pedestrian walking or jogging in a diamond lane and causing a golf cart driver to leave the diamond lane.

Look at the cause of most golf cart accidents and they are pure and simple caused because of distraction
Old 07-05-2017, 05:58 AM

The whole issue boils down to this. If any of us have our golf cart governor adjusted so the cart can exceed 20 miles per hour, to be legal, we must register the cart as a low speed vehicle with the state, have the registered license plate attached to the cart, and have it insured. The speed is not the issue. The issue is the cart is no longer legally considered a golf cart if it exceeds 20 mph. If properly registered, plated, and insured, it can legally exceed 20 mph without being in violation.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
The whole issue boils down to this. If any of us have our golf cart governor adjusted so the cart can exceed 20 miles per hour, to be legal, we must register the cart as a low speed vehicle with the state, have the registered license plate attached to the cart, and have it insured. The speed is not the issue. The issue is the cart is no longer legally considered a golf cart if it exceeds 20 mph. If properly registered, plated, and insured, it can legally exceed 20 mph without being in violation.
Apparently also needs a different windshield and wipers, seat belts, and all the turn signals. Then, you are permitted to go all of 25 mph, and can drive on any road with a speed limit of 35 or less. Translation---you can then take your cart out on BV or Morse and be a PITA to every other vehicle on the road, create a hazard that other drivers will make dumb moves to get around, all while driving a cart that is less visible and weighs 1/10 as much as a car. Have fun!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:12 AM
Sage

I am pretty sure most people reading this thread understand that. Many people have illegal golf carts. Many people drive their golf carts over 20 mph. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That is very strange. It would be unusual for a business to make a policy in violation of state law. They could be fined, heavily, by the state. Even worse, they could be sued by anyone who gets a ticket, and God forbid, anyone hurt in an accident due to cart speed. I would question whether the in-laws heard correctly, and if they did, what was the salesman's understanding of golf cart speed. Every time I bring in my cart for yearly service (at Villages Carts, Brownwood) they have checked to make sure it can't EXCEED 20 mph.
Surprisingly, they are turning the speeds up at the BW service garage. My neighbor told me, & I confirmed.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Pinellas Place has a radar sign on it currently. As I went by in my car, it said 29 MPH, my speedometer indicated very close to 30, I NEVER DID CATCH UP TO THE GOLF CART IN FRONT OF ME! Also, I have been PASSED on the right by a golf cart, when I was doing 30 to 31 MPH in my car! I regularly see golf carts passing other carts in Pinellas place. It appears many people are just in a hurry.....
I love the rolling hills on 466a................I can get my cart close to 22.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Surprisingly, they are turning the speeds up at the BW service garage. My neighbor told me, & I confirmed.
Maybe I'll go back and get an adjustment. Not that I am anxious to drive a top heavy cart with poor braking and handling abilities over 20, but for those rare times that I need to pass a very slow cart or cyclist it would be nice to have some speed in reserve. I don't think any of us would buy a car that could go 70 and no faster. It would be a safety hazard when passing, merging, or avoiding an accident.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Gold member
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You're both right since you're both saying the same thing, UpNorth is basically saying you're given an unregistered vehicle ticket, not a speeding ticket. Here's from a blog called "Inside the Bubble" and what really happens when stopped by the police for speeding in The Villages.

Recently my wife and I were going to Spanish Springs to meet another couple for dinner and a movie. Somewhere along Morse Blvd., out of the blue, I see a Deputy Sheriff on a motorcycle with his lights flashing behind me in the (Golf Cart) ‘Diamond Lane’.

I pulled to a stop and the Deputy informed me that I was exceeding 20mph in my “golf cart”. He gave me a slip of paper which stated that the Florida Statute 320.01 defines a golf cart. Because of this, when I exceeded 20 mph I was no longer in a golf cart but I was driving a motorized vehicle on public roads without proper registration or license. He then served me with a citation to that effect and told me it was a criminal offense.

He also said that if I produced a certified letter from a golf cart shop that the golf cart was adjusted to not exceed 20 mph the judge may let me off with just court costs. The citation had a date that I was to appear in the county court in Bushnell, FL. It also stated “Criminal Violation court appearance required”.

I thought to myself – here I am enjoying one of the most talked about benefits of “Florida’s Most Friendly City” on my way to a movie and I end up as a criminal.

I was very anxious so when I got home I searched the internet trying to find out how hot the water was that I was in. I went to TalkOfTheVillages and found some discussion related to my situation.

I went to the Sumter County Clerk website and found that a CLASS 2 Misdemeanor was a Criminal offense punishable with a fine of up to $500 and 6 months in the county jail.

I thought WHAT! – Morse Blvd. has a speed limit of 30mph – I was not going any speed close to the limit and I could end up fined and in jail because I was in a golf cart and not in a car. And in addition to that I will now have a CRIMINAL RECORD.

Going to Court

I appeared in court in Bushnell at 9:00 a.m. on the proper date. Misdemeanor offenses are prosecuted in Courtroom B of the court house. The Judge took time to explain in great detail how the pleading process worked and the procedure that followed each type of plea. He also said that he puts everyone on probation, usually for six months, to allow them time to pay the costs incurred. One important note stated by the judge is that he evaluates each case on its own merits, so a person should not expect the same sentencing as any other person who committed the same violation. His questions to each person who I witnessed appearing before him, including myself, were to clarify the violation and circumstances related to it.

When I was called to come before him, he read the charge and ask me for my plea. My plea was “No Contest” because I had no idea I was creating a criminal offense by driving the golf cart in excess of 20 mph. I now know I was wrong, but I didn’t even think I was speeding since Morse Blvd. has a 30 mph speed limit. Next time I want to go “speeding” in a golf cart, I’ll be bringing my trusty technology from Remotecarstarterhero.com. Eat that radars.

The Judge was very pleasant and professional while carrying out his duties. He didn’t fine me but told me I had court costs to pay and that he was withholding adjudication for which I am very grateful. Also, I was placed on probation until the costs were paid.

I then had some papers to sign in the court room. After this I went to the County Clerks office to setup payment and find out the amounts due ($253-court costs) and then to the cashiers office to pay – cash, credit card, (no personal checks). She sent me down the street to take the probation clerk my receipt. The lady at this office had me fill out more papers of personal info. for their system and pay them $50. This could only be a money order, nothing else – no cash, no check, no credit card only a money order. The lady in the office said I could get a money order at the Shell gas station on the corner. I walk to the gas station and gave the clerk $51.50 for the $50 money order. After I gave the lady in the probation office the $50 money order she said the case was closed and I should get written notification within a week.

All the people at the court house were nice and pleasant to deal with. That includes the clerks, the deputies, and the Judge.

It cost $304.50 at the court house and approximately $125.00 for the certification of the golf cart. TOTAL $429.50

At the end of the process you have a CRIMINAL RECORD.

NOTE: Before you can enter the court room you must be wearing long pants (no Shorts), a tucked in shirt that is buttoned up, no hat, no sunglasses, no chewing gum. If you do wear shorts, your case will be put last for the day, even though it may be 9am, you'll be there until the end of court.
As I read your post-
1. You cannlt claim ignorance of the law. It is not a valid excuse-DEFENSE.
2. LAWS are an attempt to protect ALL.
3. As to YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD. I expect if you check it gets expunged in two years. You may want to check.
I expect you are not the first one to ask and hopefully people in the court will have the answer for you, I am not an atty. I expect the CRIMINAL RECORD means that should you commit this CRIME again they will ?????? increase the fine? Jail you???? As you posted, you are on probation.
You should find out what that means=IF YOU DO NOT KNOW.
4. As a friend said-If, you have a golf cart that will do 30mph YOU WILL DO 30MPH.
5. WHO KNOWS-perhaps your post will convince others to TURN THE GOVERNOR ON THEIR GOLF CART BACK TO THE PROPER LEGAL SETTING?????

Last edited by autumnspring; 07-05-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, mph, cart, neighbor, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.