Golf Cart Speed Adjustment Needed

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 PM
Default Golf Cart Speed Adjustment Needed

Inquiring to learn of a good golf cart service person that I could contact regarding adjustment of the speed on a gas Yamaha.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:26 PM

It's easy to do with a 10mm wrench if you know where to look. A google search should find a youtube video for you. I bumped mine up about 6mph because i couldn't break 18 going up any kind of incline at all or with a passenger and clubs.

How to make your Yamaha Gas Golf Cart go faster. 2007-2018 - YouTube
Old 02-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul View Post
Inquiring to learn of a good golf cart service person that I could contact regarding adjustment of the speed on a gas Yamaha.
The villages golf carts can do this for under $15.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

Use a zip tie. Very easy to do
Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Does anyone know where I can get a drogue parachute installed?

"A drogue parachute is a parachute designed to be deployed from a rapidly moving object in order to slow the object, to provide control and stability, or as a pilot parachute to deploy a larger parachute."
Old 02-08-2019, 12:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I'm still busy deciding which is more important, warp drive or cloaking capability?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I'm still busy deciding which is more important, warp drive or cloaking capability?
Being that there's a theoretical limit on warp speed...I would say cloaking.

Particularly if the issue of not being able to use weapons while cloaked...is ever overcome.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul View Post
I can't recommend anyone, but I can tell you that it is easy on a cart with a carburetor, but not so easy on an EFI cart. On a cart with a carburetor, just follow the gas cable that goes from the gas pedal to the carburetor and adjust the 10mm adjustment screw on the cable. The EFI requires adjusting an electronic device that controls the fuel injector.

Whatever you do, do yourself and all of us a favor and make sure your top speed on a level surface with just a driver in the cart tops out at 20 MPH.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Sage

If you have a Yamaha fuel injected cart (EFI), it is an easy adjustment. There is a governor adjustment. It is easiest to access through the plastic cover over the golf club area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I can't recommend anyone, but I can tell you that it is easy on a cart with a carburetor, but not so easy on an EFI cart. On a cart with a carburetor, just follow the gas cable that goes from the gas pedal to the carburetor and adjust the 10mm adjustment screw on the cable. The EFI requires adjusting an electronic device that controls the fuel injector.

Whatever you do, do yourself and all of us a favor and make sure your top speed on a level surface with just a driver in the cart tops out at 20 MPH.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

I hope you’re slowing it down, there’s enough JAs that take the governor out. I got passed by gas Yamaha in diamond lane while I was in my car doing 32 MPH. The most outrageous incident was when I was coming up BV and golf cart was in the left lane running 39 MPH and yes I was pacing it. Occasionally the sherriff does catch speeder golf cart, but IMO NOT enough
Old 02-09-2019, 06:29 AM

There is no speeding golf cart. By Florida law if your cart is adjusted to go faster than 20 mph, it is no longer a golf cart, but is a low speed vehicle. By law it must be registered with the state, licensed, and insured. If caught going over 20, the fine is for an unregistered vehicle. Unfortunately violators are usually not caught.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post

I thought the same thing, but not true. I have an EFI Yamaha and the process to adjust the governor was the same - 10mm closed end wrench to adjust the governor. Mine will go about 23 or 24 going downhill with the pedal to the floor, but that's not what I was going for. I just wanted to be able to maintain the 20mph allowable limit in most scenarios, and that's what I do.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
I thought the same thing, but not true. I have an EFI Yamaha and the process to adjust the governor was the same - 10mm closed end wrench to adjust the governor. Mine will go about 23 or 24 going downhill with the pedal to the floor, but that's not what I was going for. I just wanted to be able to maintain the 20mph allowable limit in most scenarios, and that's what I do.
I wouldn't think so either. The fuel injector would be timed accordingly with the coil for spark. I have not found any reference regarding the EFI adjustment but I know who to ask.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 AM

The speed adjustment on an EFI Yamaha is on the transaxle. It is a shaft that comes up out of the transaxle that is connected to a "V" shaped spring. The "V" shaped spring is held closer or farther apart by an adjustment bolt that squeezes it together. The "V" is set quite wide by the factory by not running the nut very far down on the bolt. To increase speed, the nut is tightened so that the "V" is narrower. (Some people use a zip tie to close the "V" spring down so that they can cut it when they go in for service.)

The "V" spring controls the speed of the cart by attempting to keep speed as determined by the transaxle at a certain point. It does this by making the throttle cable more or less responsive at the high end. The throttle cable from the gas peddle goes to one side of the "V" spring and the other end of the throttle cable on the other side of the spring goes to the engine.

Basically, when the cart is adjusted to a slow speed, more throttle from the gas peddle to the engine is only allowed if the cart is going slower than the speed setting. If the cart is going as fast as the speed setting allows, then the throttle cable is sort of 'disconnected'. This is accomplished by the spring being tighter or looser by being rotated by the speed shaft that it is connected to.

Tightening the nut and squeezing the spring essentially changes at what speed the throttle cable is 'disconnected'/ max'ed out.

Going downhill, your speed can exceed these settings because you are coasting. The engine is actually at idle and really has no control over the speed. So the speed adjustment is for engine driven speed levels.

Along these same lines, if you have an older gas cart with 8" wheels and go to 10" wheels, you will gain about 2 mph because the speed governor thinks it is still driving smaller diameter wheels.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a drogue parachute installed?

"A drogue parachute is a parachute designed to be deployed from a rapidly moving object in order to slow the object, to provide control and stability, or as a pilot parachute to deploy a larger parachute."
Check this out for a golf cart drogue parachute.........

https://www.dragzine.com/videos/drag...ome-fast-cars/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
adjustment, speed, cart, golf, contact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.