Golf cart to speed or not to speed that is the question

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Default Golf cart to speed or not to speed that is the question

If the the speed limit on the the interstate is 65 I risk it and go 67. I don't mind if 96% of the drivers pass me. I often wish there was a police car around when they do it recklessly.

In the Villages for golf carts, the speed limit is 19.6 and I am not capable of going 19.9. Now 99% of the drivers pass me. It bothers me more for some reason and most is reckless.

I would love to be able to go 19.9 mph but even more not to slow down going up hills.

I have a 2009 Club President. 4 seater is heaver than most, my wife and I are lighter than most. I am having a speedometer installed by ** so I know where I really stand.

If I install a plum quick motor for $325.00 I can go 25 mph and go up hill. But I lose me Regen motor braking which I love going into tunnels and down the bridge over 441 and I can now drive reckless. If I install a new Alltrax 24-48 volt 400 amp (DCX400IQ) regen programmable solid state speed controller I might go 20 mph be able to go up hills and retain my regen braking. Cost is $439.00 plus I might need heaver wiring.

Experts, please what do you recommend?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Sage

A gas cart.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:28 PM

I agree with Ptuner gas is the way to go
Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Default Buy an Ez-Go RXV

You'll never slow down on hills again. Test drive one from Town & Country carts (next to Publix in Spanish Springs) over the cart bridge.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

Go to the SS yamaha dealer and try the refurbished 4 passenger gas cart I just traded in.
We decided on a 2 passenger and I only used the 4 passenger for a few months before trading it back in.
It has the high speed gears and is loaded.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Sage

/** Not an expert, just like to work on my carts **/

IMO say good bye to the regen. To date, I have not used Plum Motors, but hear good things......

A friend of mine is currently redoing his 03 Club Car DS IQ. He will not have regen after, he is buying a new motor/controller from DD motors. I was hoping he would try Plum Quick as I wanted to see how it worked as a comparison. I am already familiar with results using the route he is taking.

A site that has the same look as TOTV is http://www.buggiesgonewild.com. Whole forum on Club Car. Lots of info out there, some of it even useful

Last edited by ajbrown; 06-12-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We have gas.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We have gas.
Now there's a Maalox moment.

Last edited by Pturner; 06-12-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

There are 2 ways to go if you desire a little more power for hills with the electric cart. You can install new gears or a bigger motor. Either way, have a speedometer installed so you can monitor your speed and stay safe.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Gold member

And remember that if the sheriff clocks you going well over 20mph on any of the county roads in TV, and sees that souped up motor, he can issue you a violation. And it won’t be for speeding, it’ll be for driving an unregistered motor vehicle which is much more serious.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
And remember that if the sheriff clocks you going well over 20mph on any of the county roads in TV, and sees that souped up motor, he can issue you a violation. And it won’t be for speeding, it’ll be for driving an unregistered motor vehicle which is much more serious.
I agree, and that's why I suggested the speedometer.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Platinum member

Also keep in mind that increasing the size of the tires on your golf car will give you additional speed. I believe the increase is roughly 3 mph per 2". So a 12" tire should about 5-6 mph. That may be all you need to pass your poor friend with only 8" tires.

Using a GPS, there was absolutely no change in speed going up a steep hill (Gayle Mill Dr) or on level terrain with the new EZ-Go RXV. that golf car is as fast as anyone needs to go in TV.

George

Last edited by gryoung; 06-17-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Default Plum Quick Motors

I had the same issue with power on hills and have had two motors rebuilt by plum Quick. They were very good people to work with and returned my motor in a little over one week. I have had no problems with my cart.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
I had the same issue with power on hills and have had two motors rebuilt by plum Quick. They were very good people to work with and returned my motor in a little over one week. I have had no problems with my cart.
If you have more details and the time to share, I would be interested for future reference. What is the cart model? Did you just upgrade the motor or did you do controller and wires, etc.

Any chance you have before and after data?

Before the upgrade, the cart went up hill located at xxx at XX MPH, after same hill was XX MPH

On flats before upgrade, the cart would go.....

I think there is nothing better than real world experiences to understand what to expect from an upgrade.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.