Golf cart speed rant...

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Still don't understand what an LSV gets you for the investment. 5 MPH is insignificant, cars are still faster and bigger so one error will get you killed. EGO? I'm a believer that all carts should be insured so that should come off the the table.
I agree with you. Personally, I would not want to operate any golf cart on Buena Vista, Morse Blvd. etc. Or cross 27/441 or even Rolling Acres. They are legal though, so it's a matter of choice. There was a time when there was a significant tax credit offered for buying LSVs and NEVs. That could have factored into decision making for buying a street legal cart.
Recently, those street legal carts owners were offered a reprieve from vehicle registration with the state. With proof that they modified their cart to operate at 20 mph, the street legal cart owners could have that tag dropped, and they would become regular golf carts that could operate where non street legal carts do. I'm of the opinion that some owners (not all of course) took advantage of the reprieve, then tweaked their cart speed back up, gaming the system if you will.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Still don't understand what an LSV gets you for the investment.
You can ride on the roads that are under 35 mph.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
You can ride on the roads that are under 35 mph.
And if you do, you might just end up at the funeral home 5 mph. quicker
Old 01-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And if you do, you might just end up at the funeral home 5 mph. quicker
It wouldn't be my first choice in transportation but at least he now understands why some choose LSV's.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
It wouldn't be my first choice in transportation but at least he now understands why some choose LSV's.
I just don't understand why anyone would WANT to. It's the Villages equivalent of sending your kid out to play in traffic. What did Scotty say to Kirk in an episode where they lost main power and the Klingons were attacking?---"We can wallow like a garbage scow in front of a warp driven starship"?
Old 01-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
I just don't understand why anyone would WANT to. It's the Villages equivalent of sending your kid out to play in traffic. What did Scotty say to Kirk in an episode where they lost main power and the Klingons were attacking?---"We can wallow like a garbage scow in front of a warp driven starship"?
It's bigger, faster and I'll say safer than a bike but smaller than a garbage scow.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
It's bigger, faster and I'll say safer than a bike but smaller than a garbage scow.
Also smells better
Old 01-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
I learned that the speed limit for golf carts that are not street legal is 20mph. So I spent the extra money for a street legal cart with a speed limit of 25mph and spent the extra money to license it. It also costs more to insure them. So when I am driving on a street and get passed by non-licensed golf carts clearly going over 20 and even over 25, it really irks me. If there was any evidence that the sheriff or police where doing anythin significant about it, it would not bother me so much. However, with the number of clearly illegally modified golf carts out there, it is clear they are having ZERO impact on the problem. Why not just drop the speed limit since no one seems to pay any attention to it anyway, or start spending more time and effort to enforce it at a level that is equal to the level of those ignoring the law? A PSA occassionally on Television is NOT a good use of time or resources to impact the problem. It is simply to give the appearance that something is being done. And the realivtively tiny number of infractions that actually get ticketed are also meaningless, they are too few in comparison with the size of the problem. For me, if this is still ignored when it is time to renew my LSV registration, I am dumping it and just doing what everyone else seems to be doing, getting a free ride on an illegally modified golf cart.
theriuz:

Let me get this straight . You were willing to pay more for insurance and annual registration fees so that you can go 5mph more than other carts? Being able to travel roads where other carts cannot legally go doesn't give you the satisfaction you seek? You probably made this additional investment because you recognized that The Villages is really spreading out and one needs to take advantage of ways to manage distant and time.

In addition you express a loss of a schenfreude moment at the thought that those carts drivers who did not pay for street legal but, exceed 20mph are not being punished.

You may have not recognized that those cart drivers who use the MMP's legally may be upset that you may be traveling over 20 mph and possibly the full extent of 25mph on MMP's but unaware that you feel justified because you paid extra for the additional speed?

More to the point this obsession over 5 mph is more than I can handle any longer because it is getting really over exaggerated and keeps repeating on TOTV and in the scheme of things amounts to bupkus.

I have a sneaking suspicion that like highways some drivers just get upset for whatever reason when someone passes them as if the moving vehicle has no right to pass them; albeit you have my agreement if it is an unsafe passing situation

There was one poster on here who once said that he believed all drivers should not exceed the 45mph on 466. To ensure so he stayed in the left lane at 45mph to hold back traffic.

Theriuz, this post may speak to your mind and your heart? I hope not?

Personal Best Regards:
Old 01-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

There was one poster on here who once said that he believed all drivers should not exceed the 45mph on 466. To ensure so he stayed in the left lane at 45mph to hold back traffic
Personal Best Regards:
And they wonder why road rage is more and more prevalent
Old 01-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Sage

And I'm not finished with that idiot

He and everyone like him should be cited for failure to keep right, before someone gets really p!$$ed off and runs him off the road or worse. Who does he think he is to dictate driving terms to everyone else?
Old 01-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
And I'm not finished with that idiot

He and everyone like him should be cited for failure to keep right, before someone gets really p!$$ed off and runs him off the road or worse. Who does he think he is to dictate driving terms to everyone else?

He's a curmudgeon, let it be.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
theriuz:

Let me get this straight . You were willing to pay more for insurance and annual registration fees so that you can go 5mph more than other carts? Being able to travel roads where other carts cannot legally go doesn't give you the satisfaction you seek? You probably made this additional investment because you recognized that The Villages is really spreading out and one needs to take advantage of ways to manage distant and time.

In addition you express a loss of a schenfreude moment at the thought that those carts drivers who did not pay for street legal but, exceed 20mph are not being punished.

You may have not recognized that those cart drivers who use the MMP's legally may be upset that you may be traveling over 20 mph and possibly the full extent of 25mph on MMP's but unaware that you feel justified because you paid extra for the additional speed?

More to the point this obsession over 5 mph is more than I can handle any longer because it is getting really over exaggerated and keeps repeating on TOTV and in the scheme of things amounts to bupkus.

I have a sneaking suspicion that like highways some drivers just get upset for whatever reason when someone passes them as if the moving vehicle has no right to pass them; albeit you have my agreement if it is an unsafe passing situation

There was one poster on here who once said that he believed all drivers should not exceed the 45mph on 466. To ensure so he stayed in the left lane at 45mph to hold back traffic.

Personal Best Regards:
George Carlin had it right: something like "Ever notice that when someone passes you they are an "@55hole", and when you pass someone driving slower they are a "moron"?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
He's a curmudgeon, let it be.
rickey: the extra emphasis by posters is not for this OP but other potential curmudgeons lurking out there.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:07 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
And those are his best regards.
tomwed: best regards, best wishes always civil, always friendly. You could even hit my golf ball by mistake and I wouldn't get mad at you
Old 01-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
theriuz:

Personal Best Regards:
A true sesquipedalian should always make sure that the words they use actually exist.

Tags
golf, speed, problem, limit, time, cart, street, carts, level, modified, illegally, impact, number, money, extra, spent, legal, appearance, tiny, infractions, realivtively, give, ignoring, equal, rant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.