Golf cart speed rant...

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
George Carlin had it right: something like "Ever notice that when someone passes you they are an "@55hole", and when you pass someone driving slower they are a "moron"?
He did.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
A true sesquipedalian should always make sure that the words they use actually exist.
How about the others?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
A true sesquipedalian should always make sure that the words they use actually exist.
Rapscallion St Croix: What an elegant username. My use of the word schadenfreude does exist. My keyboard skills have diminished and hence the "e"vis a vis ä" . I'm down to a two finger pecking But I have an excuse I'm just getting over a cold.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
tomwed: best regards, best wishes always civil, always friendly. You could even hit my golf ball by mistake and I wouldn't get mad at you
Please don't hit my golf ball. Friendly, civil best wishes and regards
Old 01-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
I learned that the speed limit for golf carts that are not street legal is 20mph. So I spent the extra money for a street legal cart with a speed limit of 25mph and spent the extra money to license it. It also costs more to insure them. So when I am driving on a street and get passed by non-licensed golf carts clearly going over 20 and even over 25, it really irks me. If there was any evidence that the sheriff or police where doing anythin significant about it, it would not bother me so much. However, with the number of clearly illegally modified golf carts out there, it is clear they are having ZERO impact on the problem. Why not just drop the speed limit since no one seems to pay any attention to it anyway, or start spending more time and effort to enforce it at a level that is equal to the level of those ignoring the law? A PSA occassionally on Television is NOT a good use of time or resources to impact the problem. It is simply to give the appearance that something is being done. And the realivtively tiny number of infractions that actually get ticketed are also meaningless, they are too few in comparison with the size of the problem. For me, if this is still ignored when it is time to renew my LSV registration, I am dumping it and just doing what everyone else seems to be doing, getting a free ride on an illegally modified golf cart.
As I'm sure you know, having a licensed LSV allows you to travel on some streets where golf carts are not allowed. If someone has a cart that goes 25 or more and they drive on Buena Vista or around the round abouts they have a very good chance of being pulled over.

If you drop the license, registration and insurance you will no longer be able to travel these routes and be forced to take the longer MMPs.

If that's what you want to do then by all means just drop the license.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Still don't understand what an LSV gets you for the investment. 5 MPH is insignificant, cars are still faster and bigger so one error will get you killed. EGO? I'm a believer that all carts should be insured so that should come off the the table.
It's been stated several times in this thread now. With an LSV you are allowed to drive on Morse, Buena Vista, El Camino Real and any other roads where the speed limit is 35 or below. You are also allowed to cross 27/441 at the lights which would be a big deal for me.

I live in Silver Lake. I am less than a half mile from the CVS on Avenida Central. But, in order to get there in my golf cart I have to drive almost a mile up to the golf cart bridge and then another mile from the bridge to the CVS. We find ourselves in that CVS and the Target and other stores behind it quite often. I've thought about getting an LSV just to be able to cross 27/441 and save my self a lot of time but it's not worth it to me. I just put up with having to go two miles out of my way to reach a destination a quarter mile away.

In general, if you could use the streets mentioned the routes are much shorter than using the MMPs where you have togo up side streets cross over and use multiple tunnels to get to your destination.

I took my cart to Hemmingway yesterday and had to cross under Morse twice. I'm sure that I traveled several mile more then had I been in a car or an LSV

Now if you want to talk about the safety or wisdom of having a fast golf cart sharing the roads with cars, that's a different story and I'm glad that people are able to make about their minds about that.

Frankly, I don't think that any vehicle that's not capable of going the posted speed limit should be allowed on roads where speed limits are posted. It's very frustrating having to go 25 on a 35 MPH road because you're behind a vehicle that's not capable of reaching the speed limit.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Gold member

there is more than speed with a LSV....they have all the safety features of a vehicle designed for the road.....4 wheel hydraulic brakes,windshield wipers,safety windshield etc etc etc
Old 01-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
there is more than speed with a LSV....they have all the safety features of a vehicle designed for the road.....4 wheel hydraulic brakes,windshield wipers,safety windshield etc etc etc
Mmmm---just like my SUV, except my SUV weighs 4600 pounds, the biggest safety feature of all
Old 01-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Frankly, I don't think that any vehicle that's not capable of going the posted speed limit should be allowed on roads where speed limits are posted. It's very frustrating having to go 25 on a 35 MPH road because you're behind a vehicle that's not capable of reaching the speed limit.
Including bicycles?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
George Carlin had it right: something like "Ever notice that when someone passes you they are an "@55hole", and when you pass someone driving slower they are a "moron"?
Not necessarily. The guy going 45 in the left lane to control traffic as HE sees fit, falls into the first category
Old 01-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Not necessarily. The guy going 45 in the left lane to control traffic as HE sees fit, falls into the first category
I'm pretty sure that in Florida, a driver can now be pulled over and cited for travelling in the left lane at the posted speed limit, and impeding traffic if there is a line of cars behind him/her being held up.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I'm pretty sure that in Florida, a driver can now be pulled over and cited for travelling in the left lane at the posted speed limit, and impeding traffic if there is a line of cars behind him/her being held up.
Impeding traffic, disregarding a traffic control device, driving stupid (man, I could have written 2 ticket books a day for people driving stupid when I was on the road).
Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
You can ride on the roads that are under 35 mph.
I know that......still don't understand why they want to play in traffic that can get them killed......must be the mine is bigger than yours mentality.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-29-2016, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I know that......still don't understand why they want to play in traffic that can get them killed......must be the mine is bigger than yours mentality.
I don't think so. It's not any bigger than a golf cart. You may aggravate the other motorists on the 35 mph roads because you are only going 25 but it's not likely they will run you over. I drive a smart car that is the same size and I can get from one end of the town to the other in half the time as a golf cart because I don't deal with the tunnels and golf cart traffic. An LSV is something in between. It's too slow for me and too expensive.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:33 AM
Send a message via AIM to Emmakrock@yahoo.com

I personally don't think golf carts should be on the road with cars..They are not road worthy like a car and slow up the traffic. There is not enough protection around them in the case of an accident..I think you are right. Let that expire and go back on the cart path...What's the hurry anyway? Leave earlier and slow down.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, speed, problem, limit, time, cart, street, carts, level, modified, illegally, impact, number, money, extra, spent, legal, appearance, tiny, infractions, realivtively, give, ignoring, equal, rant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.