Golf cart speedometers

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2021, 07:09 PM
Default Golf cart speedometers

OK, you did so well with my seat belt question, now I'm hoping you can help regarding which speedometer should one get. I know it's a golf cart and perhaps "who needs a speedometer?" but I'd like one so I'll know the distance traveled, engine hour meter and the speed of the cart for those areas marked less than 20 mph.

And who has them available and can install them? Price installed?
Old 08-13-2021, 08:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
OK, you did so well with my seat belt question, now I'm hoping you can help regarding which speedometer should one get. I know it's a golf cart and perhaps "who needs a speedometer?" but I'd like one so I'll know the distance traveled, engine hour meter and the speed of the cart for those areas marked less than 20 mph.

There is a person who advertises in the DS. He installs a basic bicycle speedometer. If you want basic data, miles driven, speed, max, min, etc this will do the job. If you’re looking for more detailed info, or you cart is electronic, this may not be the best fit for you.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I bought a GPS based unit on Amazon, mounted the antenna on the dash, and wired to the main switch. IT has several functions, but the main one I wanted was the odometer and a trip meter, and of course it has speed. This unit can also display turn signals, engine alarm and 1 or 2 other lights, none of which I connected. I think this has disappeared off my Amazon list, but I will check as soon as I get a chance.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

I bought one with my new cart, 3 years ago. The cable has since broken, so I don't have one anymore. Frankly, I don't miss it.
When it was functional I downloaded a free app for the iPhone, which is essentially a speedometer, using GPS. I downloaded it on a whim, just to verify the accuracy of the cable fed speedometer. They agreed exactly.

So, now, with a broken cable, if I really want to know how fast I'm going, I can just use the iPhone app. I don't use it much, because I know my top speed is 23mph, downhill, with the wind at my back, and I seldom travel that fast, so I really see no need for it.

I wouldn't spend the money on the speedometer if I were buying a new cart today.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
There is a person who advertises in the DS. He installs a basic bicycle speedometer. If you want basic data, miles driven, speed, max, min, etc this will do the job. If you’re looking for more detailed info, or you cart is electronic, this may not be the best fit for you.
Dad had the bicycle speedometer added several years ago at the EZGO dealer in Spanish Springs(long gone now). It was terrible. Don't do it!
Old 09-09-2021, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Dad had the bicycle speedometer added several years ago at the EZGO dealer in Spanish Springs(long gone now). It was terrible. Don't do it!
I own three carts, all have the same Velo 7 bicycle speedometers on them. The carts are a 2014, 2015 and a 2016. The speedos were installed shortly after purchase. All are still on the original batteries, still working just fine.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I had the bicycle speedometer installed and it works just fine. I am just saying there are some limitations. For example, the total miles only goes to 9999. You will be surprised how quickly you will accumulate 9999 miles.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:58 PM

If you have a smart phone download 1 of the exercise app that track your walking biking etc. there may be 1 out there for golf cart
Old 09-09-2021, 05:37 PM
Veteran member

I don’t think anything ever disappears from your Amazon orders list. You can go back several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I bought a GPS based unit on Amazon, mounted the antenna on the dash, and wired to the main switch. IT has several functions, but the main one I wanted was the odometer and a trip meter, and of course it has speed. This unit can also display turn signals, engine alarm and 1 or 2 other lights, none of which I connected. I think this has disappeared off my Amazon list, but I will check as soon as I get a chance.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:40 PM

I just bought a used Club Car Precedent, and was wondering if they come with an engine hour meter. I ask as the bicycle speed/odometer are off by almost 50%. Since the cart was listed as low miles, I was wondering if an hour meter exists somewhere in the engine housing that I can confirm this statement. Also if I was ever to resell the cart I would want the new buyer to have a truthful opinion of the hours/miles on the cart.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:42 PM

why bother with a speedometer. nobody uses them..
Old 11-05-2021, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Don’t get a bicycle speedometer if you need cheaters to read the newspaper, the readout size is about the same.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post

OK, I found the link on amazon for a GPS based speedometer, I this this will do everything you want EXCEPT for the running hours, for that I would get a separate meter and mount in the engine compartment.

Link: Amazon.com
Old 11-05-2021, 09:47 PM

Thanks
Old 11-06-2021, 07:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

Download the Villages GPS app, it will show your speed in the left hand corner...
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, speedometer, golf, distance, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.