Golf cart theft?

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2021, 09:13 AM
Veteran member
Default Golf cart theft?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am not in TV - simply a prospective snowbird trying to learn about the area. Is theft of golf carts, or even from golf carts, an issue? Someone in the thread about no apartments was talking about vacant parking lots and how easy it is to roll one up on a flatbed and be gone. That led to my question.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2021, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

The concern about rolling a golf cart onto a flatbed is only regarding a situation which currently doesn't exist. There are no apartments IN the town squares themselves. And so it's not likely you'd ever see golf carts parked in them overnight, since businesses shut down at usual business time. The risk of golf cart theft is higher very late at night (or the wee hours of early morning before sun-up) because most residents are asleep.

That said, it's not as common as you might think it could be. Theft happens, but that's true in any environment. People like to think they're immune from the troubles of the world outside the Villages "bubble" but they're not. We just have less of it than in other areas. Also, when it does happen, the main daily newspaper doesn't report it. Unlike most actual real-world local newspapers throughout the country, the Villages Daily News doesn't have a police blotter once a week. The badly-written anti-Villages online newsrag "reports" police reports all day long, but they editorialize them to the point where it's hard to distinguish the actual facts of the report from the spin.

There -was- a rash of golf cart theft a couple years ago but the thieves were caught, after displaying those stolen golf carts for sale up the road. Thieves around here apparently aren't very smart.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,241 Posts

I actually installed a replacement automotive ignition switch in place of the Yamaha switch. The cost was $15 at auto parts store, about 1/2 hour to install. It came with 4 keys that are keyed to that switch. This makes it a little more difficult since the "standard" Yamaha keys will not work on this cart.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Thank you, you've painted a realistic picture of the actual situation, I appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:49 PM
Veteran member

I would guess that the most popular golf cart brand to steal would be Yamaha, so if you are looking for safety, choose the least popular brand you can find. Also, I don't think electric carts are high on the desired list for thieves, so make yours electric. And never leave an expensive set of golf clubs in your cart when parking in a shopping center, such as WalMart. You might not have them when you get back. Not a lot of golf cart crime in The Villages, but it does happen on occasion.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I timed myself on how long it takes to steal a cart with no key and no destruction of any part of the cart.. Eleven seconds. Yamaha ignition, security ignition, any ignition. Eleven seconds.

By the way is anyone looking for a cart, I have got a great deal on one (humor).

No, I'm not going to tell you how I did it, suffice to say it is simple.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

The typical low life golf cart thief has substance abuse issues and is looking to steal anything that can be quickly monetized to fund their next fix. It’s no surprise that historically gas Yamahas have been their target since they are by far the most common cart, creating a strong market for aftermarket parts. Looking to the future, it is reasonable to expect there will be a strong aftermarket demand for the new and very expensive lithium batteries in the newer electric carts. Put a kill switch in your cart and use it and park in visible public spots with good lighting and you should be safe.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

My cart has a hidden kill switch, but I rely on golf cart insurance just like with the car. Kryptonite disk lock is possible too, we use it to stop motorcycle theft.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Sorry for the stupid question, but I am not in TV - simply a prospective snowbird trying to learn about the area. Is theft of golf carts, or even from golf carts, an issue? Someone in the thread about no apartments was talking about vacant parking lots and how easy it is to roll one up on a flatbed and be gone. That led to my question.

Thanks!
Just hide GPS tracker in golf cart. If it get stole you can lead the Sheriff right to it.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I timed myself on how long it takes to steal a cart with no key and no destruction of any part of the cart.. Eleven seconds. Yamaha ignition, security ignition, any ignition. Eleven seconds.

By the way is anyone looking for a cart, I have got a great deal on one (humor).

No, I'm not going to tell you how I did it, suffice to say it is simple.

Ran a little wire?
Old 08-28-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Ran a little wire?
A screwdriver and a 14 gauge jumper wire will do the trick.
The Idea is: not to let the thief access to use the screwdriver.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

You don't need to drive the golf cart to steal it. The only thing preventing it from moving is a brake, which you can unset simply by pressing on the brake pedal. And then as I said - roll it onto a flatbed. You can steal 3 golf carts in the same trip, no need to even start the vehicles at all.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

After my first motorcycle was stolen I used iron clad snake lock and a post. Need liquid nitrogen to break chain.

Last edited by Velvet; 08-28-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,241 Posts

My point was to make my golf cart more difficult (not impossible) to steal so the thief goes to the next one.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
After my first motorcycle was stolen I used iron clad snake lock and a post. Need liquid nitrogen to break chain.
Battery powered grinder will cut any chain or cable.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, carts, theft, question, apartments

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.