Golf Cart Usage by Renters

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2016, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Not if the carts are owned by all who drive them
You have to prove ownership at the time of loss and actually live in household! How many people actually own the cart? I strongly suggest you advise your insurance agent and make sure you are insured correctly.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
You have to prove ownership at the time of loss and actually live in household! How many people actually own the cart? I strongly suggest you advise your insurance agent and make sure you are insured correctly.

Thinking my attorney knows whathe is doing. Yep we buy golf carts. Together.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
You, your parents, siblings, and children own your golf cart ?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddieace View Post
I have some neighbors and friends who rent their properties and allow those folks to use their golf cart. I don't understand it. Villages insurance will not cover under homeowners. Not worried about damage to the cart as much as traumatic injury to driver/passenger. any thoughts?
As a 30 year insurance agent for Allstars I have never read a policy that would protect the owner of the cart under a rental situation. All policies , HOME AND GOLF CART POLICIES will explicitly declare under exclusions of the policy any commercial or for hire. Let me say the owner of the cart will always be the first party sued so when you let someone else use your cart visiting or loan it out everything you own but a disability check is riding in that cart. Rent your house with a cart is a commercial exposure and spicifically excluded from coverage as far as liability is concerned and your assets. Just like an auto policy, covers you for anyone you give permission to drive, but provides no coverage for the person driving . It has to be classified business rental to have coverage. You are better off renting without a cart and letting the renter rent from a rental company. I have seen claims denied and would never provide a cart. Kill someone by that driver causing an accident and owner of cart is liable first, driver second. Hope this helps. I would have to see cart for hire in a policy to accept coverage
Old 05-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

People are like water, they seek their own level. Nothing will ever change that.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The more the merrier for the plaintiff attorneys if one of the owners injures someone. Under Florida's archaic Dangerous Instrumentality doctrine each owner is liable for it's use. So you've created a bunch of liable people who probably never even use the cart. Not a great idea.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
We were told when we rented a cart that the cart was covered but not the drivers so you still are on your own for liability

That idea and five bucks wont get you a Mocha at StarSchmucks...

But, IF the issue was so prevalent helmets and seat-belts would be required. However, I am finding that people who are retired and in TV have nothing to do all day but worry about, judge, theorize and pontificate to and about others...
Old 05-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
But, IF the issue was so prevalent helmets and seat-belts would be required. However, I am finding that people who are retired and in TV have nothing to do all day but worry about, judge, theorize and pontificate to and about others...
Even as a newbie here, I can see the wisdom and truth in what you've said.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

So if the Villages Insurance does not have a market you might branch out and check with other companies they do not represent.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Kelsie52;1219672]I dont think people are "mad" I have a rental property --I do not offer a cart --as stated earlier I reduce my price enough for a guest to rent a cart ---I have no problem renting my villa.

The reason I post this is to let renters know that when they rent a home with a cart they are NOT covered by any insurance--I would like to know if I were renting. Now on the flip side do landlords tell the renter that they are not covered ? some add a rider that states the renter is solely responsible for anything that happens. Well, get to court and see if that stands up .Its about information not anger. I just have a problem giving a cart to someone I dont know... with my investment at stake.[/QUOTE

What companies did you check with regarding covering your cart?

Last edited by GatorFan; 05-21-2016 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, worried, homeowners, cover, driver/passenger, thoughts, injury, traumatic, insurance, damage, neighbors, friends, renters, usage, rent, understand, folks, properties, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.