Golf Cart Usage by Renters

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2016, 08:26 AM
Default Golf Cart Usage by Renters

I have some neighbors and friends who rent their properties and allow those folks to use their golf cart. I don't understand it. Villages insurance will not cover under homeowners. Not worried about damage to the cart as much as traumatic injury to driver/passenger. any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 AM

I rent my home out and do not supply a golf cart for this exact reason.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddieace View Post
I have some neighbors and friends who rent their properties and allow those folks to use their golf cart. I don't understand it. Villages insurance will not cover under homeowners. Not worried about damage to the cart as much as traumatic injury to driver/passenger. any thoughts?

We also do not rent with a cart for the same reason. Too much liability & see who wins when the injured sues you.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 AM

I also inquired of The Villages insurance agency when I was renting out a home. They said that "technically" I had to sell the golf cart to the renters and then buy it back when rental period ended. The renter than SHOULD insure the golf cart for damages, liability, etc.
I will not rent my villa out including a golf cart. Way too much risk.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:50 AM

Thanks, you have validated my concerns
Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

We rented twice, for a month at a time, before finally buying.

We only looked at rentals that supplied carts, because we didn't want to hassle with finding a rental cart (availability/delivery/pickup/etc.).

I have no idea on the actual liability to the renters and how it applied to the cart they furnished (never had an instance to find out), but surely there is a way to protect themselves as it seems there are a whole lot of rentals that supply a cart.

On the flip side, I can also see the concern if I were the one renting a place with a cart and what my liability would be.

I'll be curious to hear how others rent homes with carts and what they do (if anything) to protect themselves.

Maybe they have insurance with other companies (not The Villages) who do cover the carts?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

According to the people who give presentations at the VHA golf cart safety seminars, everyone who rents golf carts are at risk as no one will cover them with insurance. And, home owners who have rentals will not be able to obtain insurance coverage for the golf carts they provide to their renters.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
According to the people who give presentations at the VHA golf cart safety seminars, everyone who rents golf carts are at risk as no one will cover them with insurance. And, home owners who have rentals will not be able to obtain insurance coverage for the golf carts they provide to their renters.

Not true. My insurance company covered my home and my cart while I was renting the home out and loaning the cart.

Not sure why so many posts opining about what other people choose to do with their golf cart. As my daddy always said, "If you worry about your self, you'll have your hands full".

“When one has too great a dread of what is impending, one feels some relief when the trouble has come.”
– Joseph Joubert
Old 04-28-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Not true. My insurance company covered my home and my cart while I was renting the home out and loaning the cart.

Not sure why so many posts opining about what other people choose to do with their golf cart. As my daddy always said, "If you worry about your self, you'll have your hands full".

“When one has too great a dread of what is impending, one feels some relief when the trouble has come.”
– Joseph Joubert
The problem is that if a accident happens the insurance company will not consider the cart "loaned" to a stranger who is paying rent for the home .

I rent a home and have made numerous calls to insurance companies. All told me there is no way to insure that cart . One company said that I should LOAN them the cart but would not give me that in writing .

Its just a gamble that I am not willing to make. I reduce the price on the rental and give the guest a list of companies for them to call .

Good Luck
Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsie52 View Post
The problem is that if a accident happens the insurance company will not consider the cart "loaned" to a stranger who is paying rent for the home .

I rent a home and have made numerous calls to insurance companies. All told me there is no way to insure that cart . One company said that I should LOAN them the cart but would not give me that in writing .

Its just a gamble that I am not willing to make. I reduce the price on the rental and give the guest a list of companies for them to call .

Good Luck

[emoji1303]
Old 04-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Gold member

I just talked to The Villages Insurance about insurance for my new cart. They told me the insurance does not cover rentals.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

This topic has been covered several times. Insurance is only available to golf cart rental companies, not homeowners. Any type of scheme to circumvent an insurance policy will only end bad for the owner and the renter, if an accident occurs.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

– Joseph Joubert
I'd say the reason why is because WE are affected if some clueless renter (who has no idea what it is to drive a golf cart in city-street traffic) hits the brakes suddenly, or hits a curb or grate in the gutter and a passenger gets ejected onto the pavement in front of a driver behind them who can't avoid running over them.

The reason for opining is to alert people we are surrounded by people who put their heads in the sand to get a few more bucks out of a rental home.

Last edited by goodtimesintv; 04-28-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
I'd say the reason why is because WE are affected if some clueless renter (who has no idea what it is to drive a golf cart in city-street traffic) hits the brakes suddenly, or hits a curb or grate in the gutter and a passenger gets ejected onto the pavement in front of a driver behind them who can't avoid running over them.

The reason for opining is to alert people we are surrounded by people who put their heads in the sand to get a few more bucks out of a rental home.
elves,
If they aren't smart enough to figure out what's best for themselves, it's still none of your business.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
If they aren't smart enough to figure out what's best for themselves, it's still none of your business.
Oh, but it IS my business if a person gets ejected onto pavement when I'm driving behind or beside them and can't avoid running over them.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, worried, homeowners, cover, driver/passenger, thoughts, injury, traumatic, insurance, damage, neighbors, friends, renters, usage, rent, understand, folks, properties, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.