Golf Cart Usage by Renters

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Call Grandpa and Grandma's Buggies or Don Cunningham Rent Me carts or any other rental cart company and ask them if you rent a cart are you covered on their insurance. Let me know what you find out.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Grandma & Grandpas definitely offers insurance for a small extra fee. Most do not have insurance at least they didn't.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

After reading all of the posts in this thread, it appears to me that some people are upset that some owners are supplying golf carts with their rentals.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I specifically looked for a rental that included a cart (as I'm sure many others do also).

I'm still trying to grasp why anyone would be mad at those owners who supply a cart (or how/why it even affects them), unless perhaps they are landlords also, don't supply a cart and have more problems renting their places.

Maybe I'm the only one, but it is a bit perplexing to me.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
After reading all of the posts in this thread, it appears to me that some people are upset that some owners are supplying golf carts with their rentals.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I specifically looked for a rental that included a cart (as I'm sure many others do also).

I'm still trying to grasp why anyone would be mad at those owners who supply a cart (or how/why it even affects them), unless perhaps they are landlords also, don't supply a cart and have more problems renting their places.

I think I can help. It's like living on a lake. Now that I'm here let's not let anyone else in. Next step after that is I got here first so I have more entitlement than you. Let me tell you how this ends. The guys who write these policies work is some ivory tower like in Chicago. They know squat about golf carts but do know the algorithm predicts a profit based upon historical data. Now some of the Villagers get into the act by sighting number of accidents, no seat belts, renters, kids etc. News media hears we have something unique. Let's broadcast their story in a snippet - no data. Guess what happens everyone rates go up or you won't be able to find a company to insure you. Next big brother steps in to help and the majority of the world that don't drive golf carts around their hometown want to know what is going on there. New traffic laws - no golf carts on public roads.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I think I can help. It's like living on a lake. Now that I'm here let's not let anyone else in. Next step after that is I got here first so I have more entitlement than you. Let me tell you how this ends. The guys who write these policies work is some ivory tower like in Chicago. They know squat about golf carts but do know the algorithm predicts a profit based upon historical data. Now some of the Villagers get into the act by sighting number of accidents, no seat belts, renters, kids etc. News media hears we have something unique. Let's broadcast their story in a snippet - no data. Guess what happens everyone rates go up or you won't be able to find a company to insure you. Next big brother steps in to help and the majority of the world that don't drive golf carts around their hometown want to know what is going on there. New traffic laws - no golf carts on public roads.
You make a good point.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

I dont think people are "mad" I have a rental property --I do not offer a cart --as stated earlier I reduce my price enough for a guest to rent a cart ---I have no problem renting my villa.

The reason I post this is to let renters know that when they rent a home with a cart they are NOT covered by any insurance--I would like to know if I were renting. Now on the flip side do landlords tell the renter that they are not covered ? some add a rider that states the renter is solely responsible for anything that happens. Well, get to court and see if that stands up .Its about information not anger. I just have a problem giving a cart to someone I dont know... with my investment at stake.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Golf Cart Usage by Renters

Quote:
Call Grandpa and Grandma's Buggies or Don Cunningham Rent Me carts or any other rental cart company and ask them if you rent a cart are you covered on their insurance. Let me know what you find out.

Grandpa charges 5 bucks for a 1M policy during the rental period , if you want it.

Last edited by RickeyD; 04-30-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

I think that is a great point - so how do the cart rental companies work? Same way Ski Hills, Sky diving operators, Dive boats, Scooter Rental places, and any other non-insurable entity does it - By having the participant sign a waver of liability contract. All my renters sign a total waver or liability, that includes if the cart is faulty to begin with. I have discussed this with several lawyers and had my lawyer review the contract and he is fine with it. On top of it, I carry 2 million in umbrella liability.. Yeesh, you people worry too much.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I think that is a great point - so how do the cart rental companies work? Same way Ski Hills, Sky diving operators, Dive boats, Scooter Rental places, and any other non-insurable entity does it - By having the participant sign a waver of liability contract. All my renters sign a total waver or liability, that includes if the cart is faulty to begin with. I have discussed this with several lawyers and had my lawyer review the contract and he is fine with it. On top of it, I carry 2 million in umbrella liability.. Yeesh, you people worry too much.
Your renters can't waive liability for somebody they hit with your cart or for any passenger in the cart not part of the agreement. Great between you and the renter but no protection against anybody else.

Under Florida's dangerous instrumentality doctrine the owner of the cart will be held liable for any injury to others caused by the permissive operator. So your stuck and your $2million umbrella doesn't apply to the cart while rented to others. Standard exclusionary policy language.

Yeesh, good luck!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Default Golf cart insurance

Wow! Can't wait for the insurance company to open tomorrow. We were sold a motorcycle /off road vehicle policy by Progressive for our golf cart. ...for the very concern voiced over and over here. I will certainly check into the validity of it tomorrow.
Thanks for all the input everyone.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Your renters can't waive liability for somebody they hit with your cart or for any passenger in the cart not part of the agreement. Great between you and the renter but no protection against anybody else.

Under Florida's dangerous instrumentality doctrine the owner of the cart will be held liable for any injury to others caused by the permissive operator. So your stuck and your $2million umbrella doesn't apply to the cart while rented to others. Standard exclusionary policy language.

Yeesh, good luck!
Exactly.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I do realize that this was directed towards renters, but your parents, your siblings, and your children are not covered on your cart. Each person that uses our cart has their own umbrella policy and Our golf cart is included on it. That way I can allow my parents, my siblings, and my children, but not my grandchildren to use our golf cart.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

How many people posting on here are Licensed Insurance Agents in the State of Florida? How many have a legal contract with individual insurance companies that are licensed to do business in Florida that offers golf cart insurance? Talk to local licensed agents to find out what the companies they represent and have a legal contract with what they offer. Remember that every company is individually contracted with the State and they are all not the same.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I do realize that this was directed towards renters, but your parents, your siblings, and your children are not covered on your cart. Each person that uses our cart has their own umbrella policy and Our golf cart is included on it. That way I can allow my parents, my siblings, and my children, but not my grandchildren to use our golf cart.

You are half right. You are the primary insured and your insurance pays first. The person you give permission is also liable as the operator of your owned golf cart and their insurance is excess over your insurance.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Best advice - stop listening to these people sighting nothing more than hearsay. They have other motives than to protect you. Call your insurance company or attorney. What are you going to do ? Tell the judge "but a sage from TOTV said we could ---"
Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
You are half right. You are the primary insured and your insurance pays first. The person you give permission is also liable as the operator of your owned golf cart and their insurance is excess over your insurance.
Not if the carts are owned by all who drive them

Tags
cart, golf, worried, homeowners, cover, driver/passenger, thoughts, injury, traumatic, insurance, damage, neighbors, friends, renters, usage, rent, understand, folks, properties, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.