Golf Carts -- Gas vs Electric

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2017, 06:18 AM

As the world turns to electric vehicles as ways to slow down the warming cycle, we as villagers turn our backs on the rest of the world and buy gas carts with no emission control. I would assume there are 30k (mol) gas carts out on the village golf paths. Many bought for the reason of convenience and everybody else has them so why not. I would assume they don't care about global warming, like not recycling or not returning shopping bags back to the store or littering the golf cart paths with booze bottles and dog poop bags.
I can understand buying a gas cart when you first move here as it's great fun to see the villages by cart. I even advise my new neighbors to buy gas. After a couple of years why not buy a electric cart and see the villages in a different light. One with a quiet and refreshing atmosphere. Being able to talk on your phone (through bluetooth radio) . Carry on a quiet conversation with your passenger, or just smell the fresh air. How about listening to the stereo and not having turned up to 11.
Electric carts do not catch on fire for no reason they catch fire from lack of maintenance, dry cells, loose connections or not using distilled water for refilling. Newer carts have Smart Chargers that run algorithms for the batteries you have installed. They can desulfate batteries and recharge them due to their loss of charge.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Are the garage door vents enough to prevent problems when charging batteries? I don't have any vents but will consider putting them in the garage door if necessary.
If you put in vents in the garage door, you then make it hurricane in- effective.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-11-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
As the world turns to electric vehicles as ways to slow down the warming cycle, we as villagers turn our backs on the rest of the world and buy gas carts with no emission control. I would assume there are 30k (mol) gas carts out on the village golf paths. Many bought for the reason of convenience and everybody else has them so why not. I would assume they don't care about global warming, like not recycling or not returning shopping bags back to the store or littering the golf cart paths with booze bottles and dog poop bags.
I can understand buying a gas cart when you first move here as it's great fun to see the villages by cart. I even advise my new neighbors to buy gas. After a couple of years why not buy a electric cart and see the villages in a different light. One with a quiet and refreshing atmosphere. Being able to talk on your phone (through bluetooth radio) . Carry on a quiet conversation with your passenger, or just smell the fresh air. How about listening to the stereo and not having turned up to 11.
[COLOR="Magenta"]Electric carts do not catch on fire for no reason they catch fire from lack of maintenance, dry cells, loose connections or not using distilled water for refilling. Newer carts have Smart Chargers that run algorithms for the batteries you have installed. They can desulfate batteries and recharge them due to their loss of charge.

Gas carts just don't "catch on fire". I think they are safer to own and as I get older and it becomes more difficult to walk home, I like my gas cart all the better.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-11-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
As the world turns to electric vehicles as ways to slow down the warming cycle, we as villagers turn our backs on the rest of the world and buy gas carts with no emission control...

...they don't care about global warming...

Electric carts do not catch on fire for no reason they catch fire from lack of maintenance, dry cells, loose connections or not using distilled water for refilling
Oh pullease.

Buy an electric cart or buy a gas cart. They both have their advantages. But don't make your decision based on this typical and false propaganda.

Yeah...electricity just appears in your wall magically. That's what so great about it. Who can argue with that?!?

At least there was one bit of accurate information in the post...electric carts catch fire for a lot of reasons, including some not listed.

Again, buy gas or electric. But do it for your own personal reasons. Don't be fooled into thinking you're going to save the world.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 11-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:43 PM

Ill jump in here from the repair aspect.
As someone stated, the argument of which is better will never end, both have there pluses and minuses for the job they are asked to do.

From a maintenance stand point, I'm glad to see the villages go gas, as more profit is made on a gas cart over an electric, sorry folks, I know you gas guys will jump all over me for it and say how your cart hasn't needed any work. Electric owners will say the same thing.
I can look at what comes through the shop and the profit per cart.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
Ill jump in here from the repair aspect.
As someone stated, the argument of which is better will never end, both have there pluses and minuses for the job they are asked to do.

From a maintenance stand point, I'm glad to see the villages go gas, as more profit is made on a gas cart over an electric, sorry folks, I know you gas guys will jump all over me for it and say how your cart hasn't needed any work. Electric owners will say the same thing.
I can look at what comes through the shop and the profit per cart.
You repair carts?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You repair carts?

Yes. I personally work on 8-10 carts a day
Old 11-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
Yes. I personally work on 8-10 carts a day
Hello TechGC...I have an electric cart and I'm becoming concerned about the batteries starting a fire when they are being charged. I didn't realize this was a problem before I purchased my electric Yamaha 2016 cart.

What actually causes the fires? Is it the batteries that actually start the fire or is it usually the battery charger?

How dangerous is it to not have ventilation in the garage when charging? I know these garages are not completely sealed of air flow but is that enough without a window open or vents put in the garage door?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Hello TechGC...I have an electric cart and I'm becoming concerned about the batteries starting a fire when they are being charged. I didn't realize this was a problem before I purchased my electric Yamaha 2016 cart.

What actually causes the fires? Is it the batteries that actually start the fire or is it usually the battery charger?

How dangerous is it to not have ventilation in the garage when charging? I know these garages are not completely sealed of air flow but is that enough without a window open or vents put in the garage door?
Great question.

20 years ago, many golf course barns would burn to the ground, issue then was the charger plugs and plug ins would break internally catch the plug on fire, then catch the seat on fire and the rest of the barn.
The manufacturers remedied all of that and you don't see it now a days.

Ive heard about the fires here in the villages. There are many safety factors built into the vehicles now. Fuses, circuit breakers and way better charger plugs.
Problem is not everyone uses OEM repair parts and its these lesser parts that are melting and causing issues. I cant count how many aftermarket charge receptacle plugs or cords have to be changed back out due to being melted. The internet can be a great thing but one must be careful, a cheaper price may not always be the best thing.
Your 2016 cart will be fine.

Proper ventilation is a plus during the charge process.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Gold member

Battery Fires? About 30% of carts in the Villages are electric. You Would have heard A LOT about this if it was a problem. I don't ventilate my garage at all.

Your 2016 Yamaha will be just fine if you charge it every night and keep the batteries properly watered with distilled water. Do you have a single-point watering system? You should water the batteries every 2 months...I water mine on the 1st of every month just so I don't forget. It takes about 1 quart per month and I use my cart at least 6 miles everyday. With the single-point system it takes about 4 minutes to water all the batteries. About as easy and time consuming as pumping gas into a cart tank.

Last edited by MorTech; 11-11-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:46 PM
Gold member

The EZGO Elite lithium carts with the 120ah pack has a range of about 55 miles.
The villages carts wants $15K but you can get a base one anywhere else for about $11.5K

Too pricey for me...Still.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Battery Fires? About 30% of carts in the Villages are electric. You Would have heard A LOT about this if it was a problem. I don't ventilate my garage at all.

Your 2016 Yamaha will be just fine if you charge it every night and keep the batteries properly watered with distilled water. Do you have a single-point watering system? You should water the batteries every 2 months...I water mine on the 1st of every month just so I don't forget. It takes about 1 quart per month and I use my cart at least 6 miles everyday. With the single-point system it takes about 4 minutes to water all the batteries. About as easy and time consuming as pumping gas into a cart tank.
If you have lived here for five plus years you WOULD have heard about it. Ask a fireman/ fireperson......whatever.

Type in "Garage Fire" in search above.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Interesting.. We have a 2010 Star Cart.. 8 6-volt batteries. Have had it 7 years. Batteries replaced once, one year ago - our original set lasted 6 years (almost 7, as cart was nearly a year old when we bought it). We use it more than our car, and have never been stalled or had to be towed. I also have the single point watering system; I water about once or twice a month, each time takes less than a minute, and I use only about a gallon or so a year of distilled water. We use the cart almost every day, and charge overnight every night. We have never experienced any fumes or corrosion, or stains on our garage floor.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Gold member

I included setup/takedown start to finish in my 4 minute calculation...Takes less than a minute to actually pump the water.
My water usage is more like 2 quarts every 3 months but a gallon a year in a 8x6V system is really good.

I reckon I use my cart 10 miles everyday on average...Between 6 and 22 miles...Almost never more than 25 miles.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:

We have a watering system that connects with a "quick connect" valve and all the batteries get filled at once with a closed system. I fill the batteries with distilled water about every two weeks and it only takes about 10 seconds each time to top off the water. I don't drive the cart very much as I don't play golf. I guess that is why it doesn't need too much water to top it off.

I also don't charge the batteries every night. I charge them about once a week. Is there a reason why I should charge the batteries every night? I put very little mileage on the cart on a daily basis. Thanks for the info.

Tags
electric, gas, carts, golf, preference

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.