Golf Carts -- Gas vs Electric

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2017, 10:34 PM
Gold member
Default Something is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
How about every 5 to 8 days? sometimes more often. We use our cart a lot.
The gas yamaha has a 6.5 gallon tank. It gets 40 miles per gallon at proper speed of 20 miles per hour. It is two hours a gallon.

I would not run the tank all the way down but you are reporting that you drive 12 hours in five days. Or 240 miles in five days. Or 2.4 hours a day.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Veteran member

It's interesting how the "Healthiest town in US" (by someone definition) is in the opposite direction to rest of the US (and world) with autos moving to Electric. I guess the older we get many don't mind the pollution, smell, noise or jerking of gas carts (EFI carts included). It must be that wonderful smell that fills the tunnels that is actually healthy for you.
As you might guess I've had an electric cart since 2007 and never been towed and will probably replace it with another electric cart. I guess I don't subscribe to The argument "As The Villages get larger you need a gas cart to get from one end to the other" since if I can't get there by cart in under 50 minutes I have no desire to go by cart. BTW I sure hope all those electric auto owners are avoiding the fire hazard by not parking them in their garage.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 AM

No way I could suffer a noisy, stinky, jerky smudgepot gas cart. I bought a Par Car simply because of the 60+ mile range but it may have been overkill. I live on the Glenview course and I don't travel any farther that 466A, not because the cart won't go all the way to Fenney and back, but it would simply be a long long uncomfortable ride. My original research concluded that after Par Car, the next best electric is EZ Go.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
It's interesting how the "Healthiest town in US" (by someone definition) is in the opposite direction to rest of the US (and world) with autos moving to Electric. I guess the older we get many don't mind the pollution, smell, noise or jerking of gas carts (EFI carts included). It must be that wonderful smell that fills the tunnels that is actually healthy for you.
As you might guess I've had an electric cart since 2007 and never been towed and will probably replace it with another electric cart. I guess I don't subscribe to The argument "As The Villages get larger you need a gas cart to get from one end to the other" since if I can't get there by cart in under 50 minutes I have no desire to go by cart. BTW I sure hope all those electric auto owners are avoiding the fire hazard by not parking them in their garage.
My favorite posts are such as these...such an open mind and such a firm grasp on all the "facts" that fit a particular point of view.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

I have 2 gas carts and now a Yamaha battery cart for Mom and Dad. I spent the past week, or more, breaking in new batteries. I do enjoy the semi quiet ride of the battery cart, but I haven't enjoyed the daily chores of the batteries. I won't give up my gas carts, but Mom will enjoy the battery cart. To each their own. Enjoy the ride!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloisbaughn2133 View Post
No way I could suffer a noisy, stinky, jerky smudgepot gas cart...
Neither could I!!

But the gas cart I have is just fine.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Default No clue what breaking in batteries is about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I have 2 gas carts and now a Yamaha battery cart for Mom and Dad. I spent the past week, or more, breaking in new batteries. I do enjoy the semi quiet ride of the battery cart, but I haven't enjoyed the daily chores of the batteries. I won't give up my gas carts, but Mom will enjoy the battery cart. To each their own. Enjoy the ride!
I've had a electric cart for about 10 and 2 sets of batteries but never has anyone mentioned breaking in batteries or any daily chore other than plugging in the cart to change the batteries. I check the water about 1st per month and wish I had a auto water system but other than that there is no Breakin or maintenance
Old 11-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

I broke down and bought a new Yamaha. I'm not pleased with the noise and odors it makes vs my last Par Car however, I am starting to like the fact that I don't have to do anything to it when I use it, just get in and go, come back and turn it off. I'm still not sold completely on it (my wife was in favor of the gas and as usual she won) but at this point I guess I'll have to get used to it. It's nice now that they sell gas in Fenney, don't have to keep a jug full in the garage.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Oh pullease.

Buy an electric cart or buy a gas cart. They both have their advantages. But don't make your decision based on this typical and false propaganda.

Yeah...electricity just appears in your wall magically. That's what so great about it. Who can argue with that?!?

At least there was one bit of accurate information in the post...electric carts catch fire for a lot of reasons, including some not listed.

Again, buy gas or electric. But do it for your own personal reasons. Don't be fooled into thinking you're going to save the world.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Quote:
I've had a electric cart for about 10 and 2 sets of batteries but never has anyone mentioned breaking in batteries or any daily chore other than plugging in the cart to change the batteries. I check the water about 1st per month and wish I had a auto water system but other than that there is no Breakin or maintenance
There is a break-in time for the batteries. See past post. Maybe not necessary, but.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Not to spoil your opinions, but, all those electric cars and your Electric cart are not that old yet, so time will tell. what do you think you smelling when you charge the batteries. I had elect. cart and liked it. It was cheaper easy to maintain, but I wouldn't keep on over 8 or 10 years. At that point all the charging cycles takes toll, now your fighting corrosion in the wiring and chassis, as batteries get weaker or older they evaporate more battery acid water which increased corrosion maintenance. That's why the tech guy likes them and of course gas cause most don't have clue how to maintain them. Now gas vs electric. Gas IMO is not for person that has no clue, stay with electric, at least all you got to do is charge the batteries, check water level and occasionally check air in tires (some can't even do that, which probably causes the very low percentage of fires or explosions in really old carts) Last summer lady was driving her old electric golf cart and the batteries exploded and blew her off the seat, she hit the curb and tipped over) Rare IMO that this could happen but with no preventive maintenance and just charge and go eventually something going to happen.

Gas, the number one thing is OIL CHANGES and check air in tires. It's lawn mower air cooled engine with usually 1 quart of oil in it. I admit it doesn't have the stress of lawn mower engine environment, but still by design lawn mower engine. Gas Carts will last very long time with just oil changes. I have never worn out gas engine in car, boat, lawn mower, motorcycle, golf cart, or even weed eater. But, I am stickler on preventive maintenance.

Bottom line Electric is fine and Gas is fine if you have skills. What one wants and don't want to have to do. Now if I didn't have clue or have NO desire to do preventive maintenance by old means get electric. But, in the end the cost about same when you figure batteries, electricity, corrosion prevention, chassis maintenance, and the low trade in or sale value IMO.

Question? when the last time the transaxle grease was changed or even checked in your cart? I just done mine, if it hasn't been in 5 or 6 years you might want to add that to maintenance plan? Another thing if you happen to look under your cart and you see leak (usually oil or grease) or there is fluid on the garage floor where you park the cart you have problem which is only going to get worse.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Sage

Why argue about what the other guy is driving or trying to convince a newbie a particular mode is the way to go. The past century has taught us that internal combustion is the proven winner in this race. If you don’t agree, go electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Why argue about what the other guy is driving or trying to convince a newbie a particular mode is the way to go. The past century has taught us that internal combustion is the proven winner in this race. If you don’t agree, go electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The short answer is that us Villagers Who Have Been Here For More Than Five Years like to show off in front of Newbies.

And, it is true that we could all keep our mouths shut and just wait for them to notice that the carts that quit along the cartpath's are usually Electric Carts.

However, If we don't tell the newbies that, when they find it out for themselves, then we can't say; "I told you so".

Green is good but walking several miles home is not enjoyed by all and not something all can do anymore.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The short answer is that us Villagers Who Have Been Here For More Than Five Years like to show off in front of Newbies.

And, it is true that we could all keep our mouths shut and just wait for them to notice that the carts that quit along the cartpath's are usually Electric Carts.

However, If we don't tell the newbies that, when they find it out for themselves, then we can't say; "I told you so".

Green is good but walking several miles home is not enjoyed by all and not something all can do anymore.
10 years for me and my reply is:
Old 11-24-2017, 12:47 PM

Thanks for seeking out "I told you so" moments; however, the true short answer is engage brain and know your cart's energy status and related limitations before venturing out.
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, gas, carts, golf, preference

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.