Golf Carts -- Gas vs Electric

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

another viewpoint -> Golf cart.....Gas vs Electric??? - TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums
Old 11-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I have personally towed home 6 electric carts since moving here. I have stopped to ask another 20 to 30 broken down carts if they needed help, all but one was electric, and I have seen many more crawling along at night with the headlights off because they are running out of juice. Hope they made it home.

I would strongly suggest most of this was caused by user error. Didn't plug it in, left the lights on, didn't replace the batteries when they should have, didn't get the plug seated correctly when they did plug it in, didn't add water to the batteries, and a few other well known user caused failures.

However most people do remember to add gas because it is something they have done all their life. The "all but one" mentioned above had run out of gas so it does happen.

So if you don't like walking home gas seems to be the better choice. And all the folks who claim electric is so much cleaner should really understand that the electricity has to be generated someplace using some type of fuel and those batteries have to be disposed of someway that breaks up lead, acid and plastic. There really is no good ecological footprint other than your own.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
From a repair aspect, we see pretty much the same amount, gas or electric break down out on the road. Dead battery, starter issue, broken belts, broken fuel line are all gas related issues. The debate will never end and everyone will always take there side.
would that be cause there are bunch of morons that can't find dipstick or know batteries take water?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
would that be cause there are bunch of morons that can't find dipstick or know batteries take water?

Never see anyone run their golf car out of oil. Batteries out of water, only ever now and then, everyone in the villages is aware that the batteries need filled.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Regardless of the pros and cons it is all a matter of preference. Gas owners will swear by gas and electric owners will swear by electric. All the posts in the world will not change their opinions.
Actually, people do change their minds as technology evolves.
I had electric golf carts for ten years and loved them.
If you remember to plug in your cart every night, I think electric carts are reliable.
I was persuaded by Fireboy to try a new Yamaha QuieTech gas cart.
It's not as quiet as electric, but much quieter than other gas carts I've driven.
However the jury is still out.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:43 AM

We went with electric due to the quite ride. Also the gas carts have an awful stink that we did not like.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:54 AM

We just bought an Atomic electric cart. These are the reasons for our decision
It’s studier than a regular cart therefore safer. It has AC, windows, doors, a radio and a roll bar. It’s comfortable. Our neighbors have one and say It goes 80 miles on a charge, 100 if you don’t use the AC. Our neighbors commented that they played more golf in the really hot weather because of the cart. We upgraded and customized the seats. The dealer is wonderful to work with.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 AM

Tim,
My personal opinion regarding this issue:
1. Depending where you live in The Villages -we have a vast area now which we travel
2. Do you play golf? If you are planning on riding a 1/2 hour to the golf course, playing 18 holes of golf, then going out with the boys Electric does not always work well as the batteries get older.
3. Cost factor on replacing the batteries
4. Gas units are easier to maintain, last longer, allow you access anywhere as long as you have a gas station which there are plenty.
5. Once you run out by accident or the Electric vehicle is running low, you are in trouble because there are no charging stations on Buena Vista Blvd or Morse Blvd. when you run dry. Also what if you forgot to plug in last night after partying? You now have a dead golf cart.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:52 AM

Today's newest Yamaha's are quiet and they don't stink as reported.
They are EFI which burns cleaner and more efficient. Yes when you get in any tunnel, they will all stink since 10 other carts went through the same tunnel.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsovas View Post
Tim,
My personal opinion regarding this issue:
1. Depending where you live in The Villages -we have a vast area now which we travel
2. Do you play golf? If you are planning on riding a 1/2 hour to the golf course, playing 18 holes of golf, then going out with the boys Electric does not always work well as the batteries get older.
3. Cost factor on replacing the batteries
4. Gas units are easier to maintain, last longer, allow you access anywhere as long as you have a gas station which there are plenty.
5. Once you run out by accident or the Electric vehicle is running low, you are in trouble because there are no charging stations on Buena Vista Blvd or Morse Blvd. when you run dry. Also what if you forgot to plug in last night after partying? You now have a dead golf cart.
THANKS! I play golf and I party and have stretched my travels via electric golf cart about as far as I can imagine ever wanting to go in a day or so. Fortunately, my Tomberlin E-Merge has an integrated charger so in the unlikely event I do need an emergency charge all I need is an outlet. Given we are in the friendliest of all communities imaginable I am sure finding a plug-in would be a no-brainer.

No storing gas; no trips to the gas station; no noise, smell, or annoying others. No hesitation off the line!

BTW I have no connection to any cart or service provider in these regards other than being a very satisfied electric cart owner. Tim
Old 11-30-2017, 11:43 AM

We just moved and bought a 2017 Yamaha EFI QuieTech from Carts and Clubs. We also rented an older Club Car when we had guests. There is no comparison on noise. The Yamaha seems silent compared to the Club Car. That said, even the Yamaha is too noisy to hear the turn-by-turn nav instructions on the Villages GPS app. With the Club Car, you didn't know the phone was talking. With the Yamaha, you could often tell that there was a voice, but couldn't make out any words. Maybe an electric is so quiet, it would work - don't know, never drove one. Regarding distance, we have used up a full tank from when we got the cart in mid October through today. My sister-in-law had an electric and traded it in on a Yamaha QuieTech after getting stranded trying to get home from golf too many times.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Our 2016 Yamaha electric cart has a "tow" mode switch. We were told that is we ever run out of juice, we are to put the cart in "tow" mode and wait 15 minutes. Put the cart back in "run" mode and at that point, the batteries will somehow have enough juice to drive the cart about a mile or two. We were assured by the salesman the cart will respond for that distance as if the batteries were completely charged. That process can be repeated as many times as needed to get the cart to a power source (which in most cases will be home). I have never had to rely on this method to get the cart home but it's nice to know that is an option.

We also have emergency road side assistance coverage (very inexpensive) if we ever run out of juice or break down in our electric cart. I would not drive the cart without that reassurance. It is like having AAA for the car. I have not been without AAA coverage for our car for the past 40 years and will never be without roadside assistance coverage for the golf cart.

Last edited by coffeebean; 11-30-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Our 2016 Yamaha electric cart has a "tow" mode switch. We were told that is we ever run out of juice, we are to put the cart in "tow" mode and wait 15 minutes. Put the cart back in "run" mode and at that point, the batteries will somehow have enough juice to drive the cart about a mile or two. We were assured by the salesman the cart will respond for that distance as if the batteries were completely charged. That process can be repeated as many times as needed to get the cart to a power source (which in most cases will be home). I have never had to rely on this method to get the cart home but it's nice to know that is an option..

Don't do that. The batteries are already to far depleted and doing that will not only harm the batteries but also can wound the electronics.
As battery voltage goes down, amperage goes up, amperage is heat and that heat has to go somewhere...places like the controller, motor, solenoid etc
Old 11-30-2017, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
Don't do that. The batteries are already to far depleted and doing that will not only harm the batteries but also can wound the electronics.
As battery voltage goes down, amperage goes up, amperage is heat and that heat has to go somewhere...places like the controller, motor, solenoid etc
Why in the world would our salesman tell us about this process if it would do damage to the cart? Thank you for setting me straight about this.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Why in the world would our salesman tell us about this process if it would do damage to the cart? Thank you for setting me straight about this.
Salesman- its more about what he wants to put in his pocket and not about you, the customers best interest.
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, gas, carts, golf, preference

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.