Golf carts with solid doors that swing back

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Default Golf carts with solid doors that swing back

When we were visiting TV last month we saw a few golf carts with solid doors that swing back instead of the plastic curtains that roll up. They appear to be very practical.

We are curious to know what people who own them or have considered them think of them. What's good about them? What's bad about them? What brand golf carts are they?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Eternal Member

I have the plastic curtains that roll up and I very seldom use them. Only if I am caught in a rainstorm are they needed. In the winter, I put on a jacket to drive to the golf course. It is a PITA to open and close them for every golf shot so I would roll them up if I was at the course anyway.

And yes, I play all winter.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

Think you are talking about the Curtis Cabs. I have a Yamaha with the doors. Love it! Such much easier than rolling the sides up and down. Only down side is to close the doors you need 12" as the doors push out then slide back. Got it at The Villages Golf Car store. Did I say I love it?

Becky
Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM

I'm glad to see this topic opened. We'll be in the market for a cart this fall and are attracted to the Curtis Cab. In the winter it looks to have clear advantages. But, how does it stack up in warm weather? Is it well ventilated and reasonably quiet with the doors open? I'd like to hear more comments from owners.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I've driven a couple of them and truly do not like them. I've found them to be noisy -- lots of rattling. This may be because the cab doors were put on after purchasing, I have no idea. I just know I find them to be noisy and somewhat claustraphobic when the doors are closed. I much prefer the curtains -- easy to roll down, lots of ventilation when needed and, as was said, I can dress in layers when it's cold.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Eternal Member

My wife has a Yamaha with the hard door enclosure and for her since she still works which is sometimes at night she loves the fact that she can just close the doors if if starts to rain or if it is cold. For convienance it is nice but the added weight is not a benefit.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Veteran member

The three comments I have heard regarding the Curtis Cab are 1. noisy 2. A lot of xtra weight and 3. hot in the summer as u cannot open them all the way. The Yamaha dealer I bought my cart from talked me out of the Curtis Cab.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:10 PM

We have a Club Cart with doors and we love it. We are able to use it more when it is cold and/or raining. The doors fold flat for summer or golf. We will never have another cart without doors.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:55 AM

We have a Club Car with the Curtis cab enclosure and we love it. I don't find them either hot or noisy. I agree with the previous poster. We wouldn't be without the doors.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

they are great for short people, I'm 5'9" and have jammed my knee a time or two b4 the brain kicked in and said "Hey dummy, watch it!...I wonder why they have never made accordian doors or the doors that roll away...I really think the extension in the front of cart is the problem...Give them time and they will come up with a door that works for taller golfers.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Gold member

Bought my Yamaha with Curtis Cab enclosure back in January and just love it. The enclosure adds about 100 lbs to the cart but at assembly TV Golf Cars adjusts the speed for the extra weight. I have no problem with the ventilation or concerns about noise. Those were concerns of mine when I was looking at buying the cart but in trying a couple out and talking to a couple of folks who own them I heard nothing to change my opinion. During the winter we drive to golf with the doors closed but then leave them open during our round. Summer is great with the showers that pop up and it is very easy to quickly close the doors even while moving. You can expect to pay about $1,500 extra for the doors and the one downside I have found is that it is difficult for tall or large people to get into the cart due to the doors.

From what I have been told Curtis Cab enclosures can be put on E-Z-GO, Club Car and Yamaha golf carts but are most frequently used on Club Car and Yamaha. The dealers will let you take one for a test drive and I would suggest doing that. The sales folks at the Colony Plaza store encouraged me to test one and I know they presently have three in the showroom.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I would say to take a cart with the Curtis Cab and one that is completely open out for a test ride this summer when it's in the 90's or better and then make your decision.
I prefer the curtains because I, for one, rarely use them for the same reason that in the heat I wouldn't wear a raincoat. This is just my preference but I like the open open feeling of riding an unenclosed cart in the same way I enjoy being in the open on my bike.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Gold member
Thumbs up

I have a Club Car with the Curtis cab and really like it. However, when it's really cold in the winter I find that it is somewhat drafty around the front window and the doors at the bottom. On those occasions I use a Coleman heater. Last winter was fairly cold here and I probably only used the heater maybe 4 or 5 times.

John
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.