Golf carts as a traveling machine

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If seat belts in rentals were a deal breaker for many renters, there would be seat belts in rentals. Apparently, most renters don't see it as a priority.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Sometimes one who looks from the outside in has the advantage! I got your drift the first time. Maybe we all should stay on topic. The safety of cart use in the Villages should not be minimized. Everyone has a stake in it.

Most renters are not aware of the safety concerns of golf cart use. I wasn’t!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Does the CDD as our local government have the legal authority to address safety on the multi modal paths? They have installed stop signs in tunnels, speed bumps, and some are going to stripe some paths. Can non-criminal enforcement be a part of our community rules? Have speed traps manned by trained radar operators. I am sure there are several former cops on the Watch. First offense warning, second offense inactivate their ID card for a month. Or even install radar in some of the Watch vehicles to document speed on the highways. Under what authority would the CDD pull over drivers? Perhaps they cannot. I don't believe there is any rule that says I must obey a Community watch employee. However they can certainly take my photo in a public place. And a CDD website with photos of speeders and speeding carts would get plenty of hits leading to ID of the driver in most cases.

In addressing safety three directions can be taken. Improve the product itself, improve the training of the user, and improve the environment in which the product is used.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Does anyone know anyone that has been stopped for speeding in a golf cart, and if they were prosecuted? With all the other stuff going on in TV I suspect golf carts going a few miles over the speed limit is not high on their list. At least based on the number of carts that pass me while I'm doing 19.7MPH.
I install speedometers on golf carts and have installed four during the past year for Villagers who have been ticketed for driving their carts above 20MPH.

They report the fine is $340.00 and they had to make a court appearance to pay it.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs GolfCart Speedometer View Post
I install speedometers on golf carts and have installed four during the past year for Villagers who have been ticketed for driving their carts above 20MPH.

They report the fine is $340.00 and they had to make a court appearance to pay it.
Thanks

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Sometimes one who looks from the outside in has the advantage! I got your drift the first time. Maybe we all should stay on topic. The safety of cart use in the Villages should not be minimized. Everyone has a stake in it.

Most renters are not aware of the safety concerns of golf cart use. I wasn’t!
Sometimes those looking from the outside in don't understand the issue.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Tu shay. Now, do you believe that seat belts should be made available on rental carts as an option (not required equipment)? If the cart safety video stresses wearing seat belts and other believe it is a good thing, then why not make them available on rental carts?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Tu shay. Now, do you believe that seat belts should be made available on rental carts as an option (not required equipment)? If the cart safety video stresses wearing seat belts and other believe it is a good thing, then why not make them available on rental carts?

If you put the words "seat belts in golf carts" in the search option above you will find more than fifty threads on the subject. This one from 2008 is a typical one.

golf cart seat belts (The question)
Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you put the words "seat belts in golf carts" in the search option above you will find more than fifty threads on the subject. This one from 2008 is a typical one.

golf cart seat belts (The question)
Thanks for the reference. And this from 2008 ->"

My suggestion: All three counties need to address this issue at once. Not in 6 months or a year from now. NOW! They need to come to an agreement on standard for golf carts (NOT LSV) and enforce them. They need to step up the process of giving out tickets and stop warning people about running stop signs, passing on solid white lines, breaking the speed limit (doing 30mph in a cart or better) and driving after doing the 2 for 1'ers. These are grave issues and are not being dealt with on an every day bases.
I also believe that this community should have a cart registration where by each cart is registered so that if someone is causing problems there is a way to identify that person and their cart. Right now there is no such way without taking the law into your own hands and confronting the person about the issue. That is not a good idea either. Some thoughts on these issues would be interesting too"

So, how can we make some/any changes before 2022. By then, I will have been a full timer for over six years and maybe can be a part of the group.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Gold member

///

Last edited by obxgal; 04-05-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would like to add something to this conversation ....I have added seat belts. crash pads. air bags. roll over bars. safety glass , wing tip strobe lights . ejection seats and now my cart will only go 4 miles per hour ....My worry is getting hit from behind....I hate mandatory also I don't like Geo. Orwell and Ralph Nader ........

Living safely in Chatham.....Fumar
Old 03-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Sage

IF your cart tipped sideways, would it be safer to be strapped in and fall sideways on to an object and have the whole weight of the cart hold you against that object or to be hit by it and pushed away? Think of those cemented in posts that are everywhere.

Would it be safer with no sides to be held immovable when something is coming toward you?

It would definitely be safer to not be thrown for sure.

When we moved here eight years ago we were being told to not install seat belts in golf carts by LEO's etc..

Read #10 post of the link I posted above.

I think that you should buy a cart and have seat belts installed .

And I hope and pray that you will never be hurt no matter what ever happens.

I think your attitude to make things more safe is kind and good and caring and community spirited.

Were you BORN in Ohio?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You can always construct scenarios where seat belts may be a benefit and may not be a benefit. Ideally, the decision of whether to use seat belts would be made based on the more likely scenarios. I would argue that running into a lake and drowning or being attacked by gators, while certainly possible, is probably one of the less likely scenarios based on the fact that much less area in The Villages is covered by water than dry land.

I did find one study where seat belts would be of benefit to children who can be ejected from a golf cart when making a left hand turn because the hip restraints are not as effective for small bodies. Regardless of body size, there appears to be enough anecdotal evidence that ejections from golf carts can lead to serious injury although I am sure you can find instances where being injected was better than being secured in the golf cart. Again, you would want to play the odds. We don't have seat belts but it is becoming apparent that we need to rethink that position. For me, the only real choice is whether I play the odds that in the event of an accident it is probably better to be wearing seat belts. I suspect you actually also want shoulder restraints, as in cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Lets say my golf cart veers of the road and into one of the many ponds, and I can't get the seat belt off, my 2 choices .. drown or get eatin by the gators. I have a fear of both, so you can keep you seat belts, I'll take my chances, thank you. You don't have any right to take my choices away.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Get seat belts! It will be your decision, not some government mandate, and you will be safer. Go to the POA web site and read up on golf cart safety/accidents. Property Owners, Association of Florida Here's a search from there FreeFind Site Search Results They are the ones who have been challenging the police to catalog the golf cart accidents and point up the safety factor of wearing seat belts. The rental companies do not put seat belts in their carts. It's not mandatory, so they don't go to that expense.

I must be honest: We don't have a golf cart. Our decision. We don't play golf. We have ridden in them and not enjoyed the experience. Plus they're cold in the winter and hot in the summer, and the gas ones smell. But we are definitely in the minority. If we had one, it would have seat belts, turn signals that make noise so you realize they're still on, and headlights that are properly aligned so they don't shine up into someone's face in an oncoming vehicle. And a horn.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Sage

More past discussions.

Any Chance That Golf Carts Could Be Banned?

In our house, Sweetie thinks seat belts are safer and I am NOT SURE.

But some of the people that I completely respect on this forum think seat belts are safer. I may soon have them installed. And if I am held against an impaling object and killed, I will haunt you.

Worse than now.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.