Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Hi gracie

///
Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Sage

What exactly is the problem you are looking to solve?

Quote:
Is driver error caused by speeding or other factors? As an example, are golf cart drivers speeding on the multi-modal trails and how busy are some sections of these trails? I don’t believe anyone can say for sure because a traffic/ speed count hasn’t been taken. It would not cost the SLCDD or PWAC that much to collect this kind of data.

Golf cart accident data collection should be as comprehensive as car accident analysis to help present a clearer picture as to the cause of these accidents. I would suggest doing these things as a start until we have self-driving golf carts.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:09 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
What exactly is the problem you are looking to solve?
In reading comments from afar, I noticed supervisors, other elected officials and village people commenting on golf cart speeding and the need to address this issue. Yet, I have not found any data that has been collected to conclude that speeding is taking place. So, why not collect the data to help determine if there is a lot of speeding on the multi-modal paths? If a significant number of carts are speeding, then do what is necessary to slow down the flow. Notice, I am not making suggestions on how to solve this potential problem as I am a newbie.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:26 AM

My reasons for seat belts. Caught my wife sleeping in the passenger seat w/o a belt, if passenger is leaning forward and driver makes a quick left turn the passenger may fall out and I came accost a golf cart that had run head on into a tree. The seat broke loose and the driver had to be transported to the hospital.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Sage

Yes, there is a lot of speeding by golf carts. There is also a lot of speeding by cars on the roads. I think it is safe to say there are a lot of people driving 20-24 mph on the MMPs. Is this a problem? Presumably the real issue is golf cart accidents. The issue with golf cart accidents is a lack of attention at intersections, blind curves, and parking lots. I don't believe we need any studies. People just need to drive their carts in a cautious manner and pay attention at those points where they can come in contact with other carts and cars. This is essentially the same issue with cars. A certain percentage of the population will drive recklessly no matter what.

Quote:
In reading comments from afar, I noticed supervisors, other elected officials and village people commenting on golf cart speeding and the need to address this issue. Yet, I have not found any data that has been collected to conclude that speeding is taking place. So, why not collect the data to help determine if there is a lot of speeding on the multi-modal paths? If a significant number of carts are speeding, then do what is necessary to slow down the flow. Notice, I am not making suggestions on how to solve this potential problem as I am a newbie.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
There is absolutely no need to run a study to determine if people are speeding in carts.They definitely are. Just ride on any path on any day at the speedlimit and you will be passed numerous times.

The real question - is speeding a significant contributor to accidents ? From most of what we read the problem is mainly pilot error for issues other than speed.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

So, there are a significant number of law breakers, speeders in the Villages? As the speed limit is 20 M.P.H. on the multi-modal paths, Village officials must then address the enforcement of this law or just overlook this one crazy, inconsequential law?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
So, there are a significant number of law breakers, speeders in the Villages? As the speed limit is 20 M.P.H. on the multi-modal paths, Village officials must then address the enforcement of this law or just overlook this one crazy, inconsequential law?

If your question is, are tickets issued to golf cart drivers? The answer is yes.

Go to the toolbar above and find search and type in "golf cart ticketing".

Here is one thread;

Watch those rolling stops
Old 09-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Sage

It is presumably overlooked just like cars speeding on the roads is overlooked. You can't police every inch of the MMPs or the roads.

Quote:
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl;1107807[B
]If your question is, are tickets issued to golf cart drivers? The answer is yes.

[/B]
Go to the toolbar above and find search and type in "golf cart ticketing".

Here is one thread;

Watch those rolling stops

From a 2011 posting ->"The multi-modal paths are not owned by the county. But Florida laws allow a deed restricted community to turn over traffic enforcement of their private roads to the sheriff’s department. But to my knowledge, TV has not done this for the multi-modal paths. So the citations to golf carts would have occurred on the county owned roads in TV. "

All of my thoughts were on speeding on the multi-modal paths. I do believe that it would take a change to the existing CDD regulations to let someone ticket those just speeding on the multi-modal paths.

"You can't police every inch of the MMPs or the roads."

As I would love to place a political sign in my window, do you think the Villages will ignore my breaking of this rule? There are so many windows to police?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Gold member

We have enough RULES here. No more please. Want to be safe then pay attention to what you are doing and to others around you. Most all accidents are the result of not paying attention. If you want seat belts put them in. No need to require them for others.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I remember a memo from Janet Tutt ( or the District's atty) refering to the issue of speeding om the MMP's (not public streets) As I recall the statement was that the MMP's are not public facilities and that no county agency can enforce traffic laws thereon. Essentially the document or her comments indicated that there was virtually no way to enforce speed limits on the MMP's
Im sure some poster here can cite the thread to which I refer
Old 09-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
I remember a memo from Janet Tutt ( or the District's atty) refering to the issue of speeding om the MMP's (not public streets) As I recall the statement was that the MMP's are not public facilities and that no county agency can enforce traffic laws thereon. Essentially the document or her comments indicated that there was virtually no way to enforce speed limits on the MMP's
Im sure some poster here can cite the thread to which I refer
Under current CDD regulations, I believe you are correct.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Platinum member

The following is one of the best studies I have seen on this topic.

Quoting from the article:

Study Purpose
The purpose of this study is to assess current trends and identify key issues and best practices for safely accommodating golf carts and low-speed vehicles (LSVs), particularly neighborhood electric vehicles (NEVs), within community transportation networks. The study was commissioned by the AARP Public Policy Institute (PPI) in response to increasing requests for information on the topic from state AARP offices and city planners. Numerous states and communities are grappling with legislative proposals to address the increasing use of LSVs and golf carts for everyday travel on local streets and paths. These policies are relevant to all age groups but have a particular significance to older adults.

The conclusions and recommendations are found starting on page 20. I will highlight a few of them.

*Ensure that policy makers, law enforcement officials, city planners, and the public are fully aware of the vulnerability of golf carts compared to LSVs and LSVs compared to passenger cars.

*Provide law enforcement agencies with the resources necessary to enforce laws governing LSV and golf cart use.

*All golf carts and LSVs should be registered with the appropriate local or state government agency.

*Require that both golf carts and LSVs be appropriately insured before their use on public and private roads and trails.

*Enforce 20 mph speed limits on multiuse trails.

*Invest in data collection, analyses, and research that will help American communities safely integrate golf carts and LSVs into their transportation networks.

Many of the recommendations in the study have already been implemented and are working well in the Villages. Others need and should be addressed.

http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/.../insight54.pdf

Last edited by twoplanekid; 09-09-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

I think you shouldn't get golf cart. It's not regulated enough for you. Reason I say this you have posted several times on the subject. I feel you will not be satisfied no matter what laws are inacted???
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.