Golf carts as a traveling machine

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I think you're missing the big picture, who's checking the drivers inside Walmart. I'm seeing far too many accidents and half the aisles you can't move.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-14-2015, 05:59 PM
Sage

I don't see side or center stripes on the Walmart aisles. I am pretty sure that is the problem ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I think you're missing the big picture, who's checking the drivers inside Walmart. I'm seeing far too many accidents and half the aisles you can't move.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I think you shouldn't get golf cart. It's not regulated enough for you. Reason I say this you have posted several times on the subject. I feel you will not be satisfied no matter what laws are inacted???

Please note that I am only presenting some of the information found in a very comprehensive case study on golf car multi-modal paths. . The Villages golf cart usage was a part of this study. I would encourage others to try to find a better analysis of golf cars on multi-modal trails.

Village Supervisors are already considering some of the ideas in this study. Quoting District 2 Supervisor Blum :” Each of the residents of The Villages need to look at themselves and adjust personal behaviors, address personal golf cart safety and reduce the speed on the multi-modal paths and work toward revising Florida Chapter 190 to provide enforcement power on the multi-modal paths.”

Please read->http://www.districtgov.org/PDFView/P...20150720pa0301
Old 09-14-2015, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I would hope that all Village home owners are given equal consideration. I am sorry that I can’t live full time in the Villages at this moment.

The point I am trying to make to you who I think is a very nice man....is that The Villages, how it's run, how groups from all over the country live here and think differently, and cook differently and eat differently and vote differently and have different styles of interacting and doing things...and how The way The Villages itself is different than any thing that we have experienced before...takes time to absorb. In a year or two, if you are like most of us, the understanding of this place, and it's people and how things work and where things are becomes clearer and usually people relax and embrace it....rather than try to change it.

All homeowners are equal and important. But this place is very different than any other place that any of us have lived before and it takes getting used to. It is a very different place in the middle of January than it is in the middle of June. The climate and the people change. It becomes more dangerous to drive during the high season, harder to get a tee time, longer to wait at restaurants. People become impatient and critical more when we are crowded. Most new folks are excited to do everything, try everything, go go go all day and then gradually people find what they like best to do and who they like best to be with and sort of just become more mellow and usually are very happy and peaceful here.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The point I am trying to make to you who I think is a very nice man....is that The Villages, how it's run, how groups from all over the country live here and think differently, and cook differently and eat differently and vote differently and have different styles of interacting and doing things...and how The way The Villages itself is different than any thing that we have experienced before...takes time to absorb. In a year or two, if you are like most of us, the understanding of this place, and it's people and how things work and where things are becomes clearer and usually people relax and embrace it....rather than try to change it.

All homeowners are equal and important. But this place is very different than any other place that any of us have lived before and it takes getting used to. It is a very different place in the middle of January than it is in the middle of June. The climate and the people change. It becomes more dangerous to drive during the high season, harder to get a tee time, longer to wait at restaurants. People become impatient and critical more when we are crowded. Most new folks are excited to do everything, try everything, go go go all day and then gradually people find what they like best to do and who they like best to be with and sort of just become more mellow and usually are very happy and peaceful here.
So, what do you think of this multi-modal case study I referenced? Are the ideas presented valid?
http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/.../insight54.pdf

While I don’t belong to AARP, I find their interest in this topic a positive and their conclusions thought provoking.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 PM
Sage

I don't belong to AARP either but I have been told I should consider going to one of their thought provoking meetings.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Platinum member

It’s a crazy world we live in. In order to fly my 4oz RC aircraft at the polo field in the Villages, I must be an AMA member which then proves that I have insurance coverage to fly. Yet, anyone in the Villages can drive a 900 pound or heavier golf cart without any required insurance. Go figure.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
It’s a crazy world we live in. In order to fly my 4oz RC aircraft at the polo field in the Villages, I must be an AMA member which then proves that I have insurance coverage to fly. Yet, anyone in the Villages can drive a 900 pound or heavier golf cart without any required insurance. Go figure.
Not so crazy when you think about it. The Polo Fields are private property and the RC Flyers are lucky enough to be allowed to use them. Some members are very new and haven't had much experience controlling a RC aircraft. The stipulation that flyers must be AMA members makes sense to me.

Some people are thoughtless and immature, and drive cars without insurance. If someone drives a golf cart without insurance and causes an accident, they could be ruined financially for life. I cannot understand why anyone would drive a car or a golf cart without insurance.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Who is advertising carts as cars?
Are you thinking of Columbia Par Cars? I think that is just their corporate name, no intention to mislead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Once you have a few hundred hours under your belt driving a golf cart than people will listen more carefully to what you have to say. You haven't had a chance yet to drive a cart for more than a month...allow your own self to have some experience before you try to make changes to the system.
I think that has been gently suggested a few times.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Also, not mentioned on this thread ............. you do not have to have a Driver's License to drive a golf cart. So you have golf carts traveling all over the place - on the road with vehicles - and the driver may never have had, or may have lost, their license.
And they may have visual limitations that prevent them for qualifying for a Driver's License. Plus they may be driving without insurance.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:24 PM

Please do not try and get any government, local,state, or federal involved! You can get your cart equipped anyway you want. The rentals are just a basic Villages cart. If you feel so unsafe in one stay in your car. Accidents happen always drive defensively.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
There is absolutely no need to run a study to determine if people are speeding in carts.They definitely are. Just ride on any path on any day at the speedlimit and you will be passed numerous times.

The real question - is speeding a significant contributor to accidents ? From most of what we read the problem is mainly pilot error for issues other than speed.
I usually ride pedal to the metal, which is around 19-20mph. I honestly rarely get passed. Less than one time per trip, on average.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:42 AM

Try the a TomTom GPS, they show how fast you are going. I bet a friend has TomTom om their Iphone!! we do!!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Smile

For starters, I believe and have heard on this site that seat belts are a must. Should they be made mandatory?[/QUOTE]

If you read the accidents in golf cart info in the VHA newsletter, delivered to every resident, you will see that most of the major injuries to drivers/passengers is for being ejected form their carts, not form being trapped in them. Seat belts may not be mandatory, but they are recommended by the Police and Sheriffs departments., and they see the accidents..just saying it is better safe than sorry. Most dealerships install the after market seat belts.

AND....Please have those little kids belted in. You cannot hold on to them an still keep yourself in the cart if there is an accident.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.