Golf carts as a traveling machine

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
More past discussions.

Any Chance That Golf Carts Could Be Banned?

In our house, Sweetie thinks seat belts are safer and I am NOT SURE.

But some of the people that I completely respect on this forum think seat belts are safer. I may soon have them installed. And if I am held against an impaling object and killed, I will haunt you.

Worse than now.
If you are thrown out of a golf cart and killed, I will miss you forever!
Old 03-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
A couple "quick" comments: I have had seat belts installed and use them without exception except when I'm golfing. I simply feel safer. I also have had "liquid lights" installed which makes my cart very visible both during the day and at night. If anyone cannot see me with all my lights then they shouldn't be driving. Having said that, I always drive very defensively and assume that anyone near me, whether in a car, on a bike on in another golf cart is possible danger. "Watch out"!!! and "beware" is my motto.
That is an exact description of how I drive my Harley Good advice
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

For those who would like to view golf cart accidents during 2011-2014 as presented to District 10 in February click on (Coversheet) and download/open the VPSD Attachments pdf

Coversheet
Old 04-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Does anyone have any information on the golf cart accident that occurred on Hillsborough near the Dunedin pool around 6:45 this evening? The cart was on its side in the middle of the street with people lying in the street.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[///
Old 04-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The very last thing we need is more Mandatory rules and regulations. We already have more then enough. More rules require more people to check the rules, more police to enforce the rules, and more taxes to pay for them.

If you personally want more safety items just get them. I have seat belts and use them, but I certainly don't want to force every one to use them. I would like windshield wipers but have found that a rain-x type polish on the windshield works well. I will add liquid lights to improve visibility at some point. And I replaced the mirrors to provide better rear view visibility.

All things you can do if you chose to do so. Just add those items you want, drive defensively as everyone should, and you will be much safer than if there were a lot of mandatory rules in place that everyone was finding a way to avoid.

And I to am a pilot and have flown 50 different planes from Aronca Chiefs to F-111's. I to ride motorcycles, from 50cc dirt bikes to my current Harley Road King. Safety is important to me and for everyone else. But please make your own choices and not force them on everyone else.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The very last thing we need is more Mandatory rules and regulations. We already have more then enough. More rules require more people to check the rules, more police to enforce the rules, and more taxes to pay for them.

If you personally want more safety items just get them. I have seat belts and use them, but I certainly don't want to force every one to use them. I would like windshield wipers but have found that a rain-x type polish on the windshield works well. I will add liquid lights to improve visibility at some point. And I replaced the mirrors to provide better rear view visibility.

All things you can do if you chose to do so. Just add those items you want, drive defensively as everyone should, and you will be much safer than if there were a lot of mandatory rules in place that everyone was finding a way to avoid.

And I to am a pilot and have flown 50 different planes from Aronca Chiefs to F-111's. I to ride motorcycles, from 50cc dirt bikes to my current Harley Road King. Safety is important to me and for everyone else. But please make your own choices and not force them on everyone else.

Every time this man posts I applaud. He is one of the smartest people I have ever met. He married a terrific girl too. So glad they live here with all of us in lower Paradise.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Talk about safety is a joke. Yea seat belts may be a great idea along with extra headlights for night time driving, extra brake lights on your canopy. What about the golf towels hanging off the back of the golf carts covering the brake and directional signals? What about the 10 MPH speed limit over the LS Bridge? Or the other day when some jerk actually passed someone on that same bridge? Safety is a great thing don't get me wrong but common sense should come first. We don't need government involvement. There was also a debate awhile back where two law enforcement officers had opposing views on the worthiness of seat belts on golf carts. So it should be a personal decision. Here's a thought have the insurance company offer a discount IF you have seatbelts in your GC money talks. OK I'm done.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
As most of the golf carts driven in The Villages are designed for golf course travel, what changes should be considered to make them safer for use as a traveling machine? I haven’t purchased a golf cart and will probably rent until I become a full timer. So, my experience with them is very limited. Should these modifications be made mandatory by the District governments to reduce insurance costs and provide a safer environment for everyone? I understand that they are looking into golf cart safety.

For starters, I believe and have heard on this site that seat belts are a must. Should they be made mandatory?
Since most injuries are caused by ejection from the cart, seat belts are the best thing you can install for safety reasons, especially for the passenger because they might not know that you are going to make a sharp left.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Just an FYI. Not everyone who passes you is passing you because they're in a hurry, you're going too slow...
I pass people all the time because I don't like riding behind the stink and noise of their gas cart.

Last edited by spring_chicken; 04-04-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Just an FYI. Not everyone who passes you is passing you because they're in a hurry, you're going to slow...
I pass people all the time because I don't like riding behind the stink and noise of their gas cart.

OH.

Saw a sign at the Yamaha Store that said...Let's beat Electric.

And one at the Par Car Store that said;

Let's Pass Gas.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
OH.

Let's Pass Gas.

I see a new bumper sticker in my future.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Lets say my golf cart veers of the road and into one of the many ponds, and I can't get the seat belt off, my 2 choices .. drown or get eatin by the gators. I have a fear of both, so you can keep you seat belts, I'll take my chances, thank you. You don't have any right to take my choices away.
Haven't heard of any golf cart veering off the road without some help from the operator. If you have a fear of losing control of your cart maybe you should consider riding with someone or taking a car. As for taking away your choices I assume you make no judgments on the choices others make.....which makes you very unique.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
OH.

Let's Pass Gas.
And since there is no way to get a Par Car to go faster than 20 (except street legal) passing gas is very hard to do (not withstanding baked beans for lunch by the driver).

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Lets say my golf cart veers of the road and into one of the many ponds, and I can't get the seat belt off, my 2 choices .. drown or get eatin by the gators. I have a fear of both, so you can keep you seat belts, I'll take my chances, thank you. You don't have any right to take my choices away.
Can anyone cite a documented case of someone being killed or severely inured because they could not get out of a seat belt? Not anecdotes , heresay, and rumors, just facts.

Some die because they can not get out of a vehicle after a crash, but I have never heard of an accident where the seatbely was the culprit.

Seatbelts have been documented to be the saving grace in millions of cases wher they have prevented or minimized injury.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.