GPS Tracker

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran member
Default GPS Tracker

With all of the carts being stolen, does anyone have a GPS tracker on their cart.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I did a little research on these when it was reported about all the thefts. It appears that a GPS tracker requires Cell phone service, and a monthly charge. A more practical approach maybe a motorcycle (or car) alarm system. Many of these have a radio link to your remote which would alert you to a problem, you can then call the police. There are blue tooth options, but these require people to have installed the app on their phones, and these have very limited range.
IMHO, a really noisy alarm, and the radio based alert should keep the thieves away from your cart. This was also asked on the experts section, and if I recall, the expert had indicated that he was looking for a good unit for the electric carts, there was no mention for gas carts.
You also have the option of replacing the key with one that is individually keyed, and a hidden switch to stop starting the cart.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I did a little research on these when it was reported about all the thefts. It appears that a GPS tracker requires Cell phone service, and a monthly charge. A more practical approach maybe a motorcycle (or car) alarm system. Many of these have a radio link to your remote which would alert you to a problem, you can then call the police. There are blue tooth options, but these require people to have installed the app on their phones, and these have very limited range.
IMHO, a really noisy alarm, and the radio based alert should keep the thieves away from your cart. This was also asked on the experts section, and if I recall, the expert had indicated that he was looking for a good unit for the electric carts, there was no mention for gas carts.
You also have the option of replacing the key with one that is individually keyed, and a hidden switch to stop starting the cart.
Hope this helps.
A hidden kill switch is the way to go.

As for installing alarms, I think that they are pretty much useless at best...and completely annoying at worst.

I mean how many of us even bother to look anymore, when some car alarm in the parking lot is wailing?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

ColdNoMore, you have good points, I forgot to mention alarms like the ones I mentioned are over $100 without installation, and do have a constant drain on the battery. Also, if the OP was looking for an alarm for an electric cart, the alarms I mentioned may not be suitable unless there is a suitable 12 VDC source. I agree with the hidden kill switch approach, as this would be the least expensive way to go.
Finally none of these approaches prevent someone from simply rolling the cart to a trailer and leaving with it.

Tags
gps, tracker, cart, carts, stolen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.