Handicap Placards

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Default Handicap Placards

I am totally disabled due to injuries in the military. Although I like to think I am normal looking (what is normal looking) I do have trouble walking. Nerve damage numbed out my left leg so walking, at least until I get my balance, is trouble.

They gave me handicap placards.

Problem for me is this. I am so afraid someone will steal the placard on my golf cart when I am at Publix or at the restaurants.

I have no clue how to secure the placard. Been looking for wired locks, acrylic enclosures, chain bags that hang.

Funny thing is I think i am not worthy of the placard so most times I just deal with it and walk. You could cut off my left small toe and I probably wouldn't know it, but I drive with the right leg.

Any ideas? I am getting a new Yamaha golf cart next month and I would like to have the choice to use the placard when I think I need it without thought that it will be stolen.

Sorry for any typos.

Last edited by TheDude; 12-26-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I am totally disabled due to injuries in the military. Although I like to think I am normal looking (what is normal looking) I do have trouble walking. Nerve damage numbed out my left leg so walking, at least until I get my balance, is trouble.

Problem for me is this. I am so afraid someone will steal the placard on my golf cart when I am at Publix or at the restaurants.

I have no clue how to secure the placard. Been looking for wired locks, acrylic enclosures, chain bags that hang.

Funny thing is I think i am not worthy of the placard so most times I just deal with it and walk. You could cut off my left small toe and I probably wouldn't know it, but I drive with the right leg.

Any ideas? I am getting a new Yamaha golf cart next month and I would like to have the choice to use the placard when I think I need it without though that it will be stolen.

Sorry for any typos.
I found this You Tube of how a biker secures his placard to his motorcycle. He's a little "rough" in the language department, but you might be able to adapt the idea to a golf cart. It involves getting a gun lock... watch the video and see. Motorcycle Handicap Placard Security - YouTube
Old 12-26-2016, 11:49 PM

At the end he actually talked about me in a way, he understood me. Thanks for the video. Now to get a gun lock and put a hole (/cry) in the placard.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

This may seem a bit "off the wall", but what about having a handicapped number plate made for your cart - similar to the handicapped number plates affixed to vehicles (although this may not be legal). It could be fixed to the area where people put their old State number plates? There is a vendor who actually makes and sells number plates in the squares on vendor nights. I would think with a little ingenuity one could be made up for you and keep the real thing on your person.

You could start a new trend!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Call the police department and ask them what is legal and what their recommendations are. They must deal with this all the time.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Platinum member

My late husband applied for and received 2 placards. We secured one to the windshield of the golf with shipping tape, clear, extra wide,extra strong like scotch tape, over the entire placard. It was virtually theft proof. Very hard to finally remove.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I took my placard from my prior state and taped it to the windshield.
I am afraid you are correct that it would be stolen. That is why I used my prior state.
I did not ask the motor vehicle department but you could probably get another placard from them.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

Any ideas? I am getting a new Yamaha golf cart next month and I would like to have the choice to use the placard when I think I need it without thought that it will be stolen.

Sorry for any typos.
If you have a decent quality color printer copy both sides of the placard and tape them together with clear shipping tape. Do a nice and neat job.Your handicap golf cart placard will be solid enough to hole punch and put a C- Clip through so it can be hung from the rear view mirror. Your handicap ID number is thus prominently displayed. If a policeman after reflection decides he just needs to write a ticket show up in court with the original placard. My bet is no fine. That is what I do having two cars and only two placards. No problems in two years.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:53 PM

Thanks everyone. My decision is two-fold.
I know this is overkill however I bought this and I am waiting to see what it looks like.
Amazon.com | Pacsafe Wrapsafe Anti-Theft Adjustable Cable Lock, Steel | Luggage Locks

I have something like this when I was going to Colts games, and the hook will fit where the clip hole is and can't be removed without ripping it in pieces.
Amazon.com: NFL New England Patriots Velcro Breakaway (1) 2-Tone Lanyard +(1) Ticket Holder Breakaway Key Chain: Office Products

So, I decided I will basically use my placard at the mailbox, and in town squares where there is no parking. It would be a lot to walk 3-4 blocks to get a donut. however I am worried about the Publix where there is more of an 'outsider' situation. I trust villagers (I mean they leave everything in the rec centers on an honor system) but the people outside TV I do not trust.

What think?
Old 12-29-2016, 06:11 AM

I use the heavy clear shipping tape. Works fine.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:12 AM

I tape it but it pretty sad that they are stolen
Old 02-05-2017, 11:47 PM
Location: Way out in the country in north central FL. We have 40 cleared acres for me to drive on!

I'm just curious to know, but is it legal to park your golf car in a handicapped parking spot if you have a blue handicapped placard?

If not, then why hang the placard in your cart?

Mom has a blue placard, and we are discussing it, she says it is illegal to park a cart in a handicapped spot, because a golf cart is NOT a vehicle that is legal for on-road driving.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrybunny View Post
I'm just curious to know, but is it legal to park your golf car in a handicapped parking spot if you have a blue handicapped placard?

If not, then why hang the placard in your cart?

Mom has a blue placard, and we are discussing it, she says it is illegal to park a cart in a handicapped spot, because a golf cart is NOT a vehicle that is legal for on-road driving.

It is absolutely legal because Fl motor vehicle law defines a golf cart as a motor vehicle; and because the placard is issued to the individual and not to the vehicle.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

If your handicap placard were stolen, you can get a replacement at no charge from the county. Directions are here. Keep your paperwork.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Location: Way out in the country in north central FL. We have 40 cleared acres for me to drive on!
Default Thanks!

Ahhh, thank you so much, you guys! I really wasn't sure. My mom has a placard for her car, but I do not; I am her only child and I am handicapped myself--legal blindness since birth--but I do not want to use a handicapped parking spot myself, as I CAN walk, but Mom cannot. We were just wondering what the laws were here.

Thank you for the answers, we appreciate it a LOT!

The thing is, we live VERY rural, and we have only seen one other, maybe two, golf carts in this area-- and NOT parked at the local stores. So we were not sure..... We def do not want to take a handicapped place from someone who needs it, but there are times when Mom does need it, and she is driving her van... but now we have this nice cart, and didn't know what the laws were.
You would be surprised, (and ashamed!) at the lack of knowledge of our local law enforcement when it comes to these things. We may live in a "Mayberry" type of town in size and culture, but boy, these local cops/sheriffs, they sometimes have NO IDEA!

I make sure to carry my I.D. with me always, just in case! And it shouldn't have to be like that, but sadly, it is. :-(

Thanks for the help!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
placard, left, leg, golf, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.