Have you done a Lead-Acid to Lithium-ion Conversion?

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2021, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,683 Times in 971 Posts
Default Have you done a Lead-Acid to Lithium-ion Conversion?

My (new-to-me) 2002 Club Car DS will need new batteries soon. The cart is in great shape, and I'm contemplating seriously going with a lithium-ion conversion over another round of lead-acid.

I've done a search, but there aren't any very recent updates. So, if you've done this, please share your experiences so far.

Specifically, I'd like to know what brand you went with, who did the conversion, are you satisfied, and has the mileage rating been close to what was advertised.Have you had any problems with the system?

I have read many posts explaining why gas is better than electric, and why lithium-ion is a farce, and there is no new information there, so consider this a great opportunity to keep all of those comments to yourselves.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:23 PM

Message me if you would like to talk, I live near Orange Blossom. I've built several and have a lot of experience. Here is my latest build.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

They have everything from building your own to drop in replacement lithium battery packs for golf carts. It's a forum for any type of golf cart and almost an answer to any question you can think of.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

They have everything from building your own to drop in replacement lithium battery packs for golf carts. It's a forum for any type of golf cart and almost an answer to any question you can think of.
Thanks. I bumped into it yesterday. I've already tapped into their wealth of knowledge on some other issues.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:34 AM
Gold member

MCJEFE knows what he is doing
Also, maybe look at Navitas or PlumQuick.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I called STM Carts in Ocala, based upon a good review from TOTV. They gave me a reasonable price to instal the RoyPow unit I wanted, the 105AH model.
They gave me a date in early February to get it done.

Someone who has installed a few of these units, from the "Buggies Gone Wild" forum mentioned above, said they don't fit into a DS without some modification of the battery compartment. STM did not mention this.

I got an email from STM last week stating that due to "availability problems" with the unit I wanted, they had to cancel me, and didn't know when they'd have more batteries. Likely, they said, it would be "months".
I contacted RoyPow and told them the story and they claim they have plenty of batteries, and in fact, STM took a delivery in late December.

The lack of eagerness to put me on a waiting list, or tell me they'd contact me as soon as they knew something has me smelling a rat. So I've decided to have another batch of lead-acid batteries installed, and drive those for a few years. I'll revisit the Li-Ion option then. Another 3 or 4 years to iron out the wrinkles can't hurt.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I called STM Carts in Ocala, based upon a good review from TOTV. They gave me a reasonable price to instal the RoyPow unit I wanted, the 105AH model.
They gave me a date in early February to get it done.

Someone who has installed a few of these units, from the "Buggies Gone Wild" forum mentioned above, said they don't fit into a DS without some modification of the battery compartment. STM did not mention this.

I got an email from STM last week stating that due to "availability problems" with the unit I wanted, they had to cancel me, and didn't know when they'd have more batteries. Likely, they said, it would be "months".
I contacted RoyPow and told them the story and they claim they have plenty of batteries, and in fact, STM took a delivery in late December.

The lack of eagerness to put me on a waiting list, or tell me they'd contact me as soon as they knew something has me smelling a rat. So I've decided to have another batch of lead-acid batteries installed, and drive those for a few years. I'll revisit the Li-Ion option then. Another 3 or 4 years to iron out the wrinkles can't hurt.
Thanks..was going to use STM..you saved me the trouble.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarwilly View Post
Thanks..was going to use STM..you saved me the trouble.
if you don't have a Club Car DS, you might be OK with them. At least one poster here has been happy with the RoyPow unit they installed for him.
Closed Thread

Tags
lithium-ion, conversion, great, lead-acid, close

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.