Help advice on power tools

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2022, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Help advice on power tools

Our Yesteryear cart has hinge hemorage, screws that obviously installed by POWER TOOLS operated by a gorilla, yipsters. While I tried to Uninstall, one of screws broke, more yipsters. Suggestions please from TOTV do-it-yourselfers.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20220613_100114.jpg
Views:	1530
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	94224  
Old 06-16-2022, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,681 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Our Yesteryear cart has hinge hemorage, screws that obviously installed by POWER TOOLS operated by a gorilla, yipsters. While I tried to Uninstall, one of screws broke, more yipsters. Suggestions please from TOTV do-it-yourselfers.
There is a tool kit called an "EZ Out" which can be used for broken screws. Amazon carries them under several names. Just google "EZ Out" and they pop right up.

They work, but they're not quite so "EZ" as the ads make them sound.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
There is a tool kit called an "EZ Out" which can be used for broken screws. Amazon carries them under several names. Just google "EZ Out" and they pop right up.

They work, but they're not quite so "EZ" as the ads make them sound.
I agree. They are called screw extractors. You can also buy a single extractor at Home Depot if you know the correct size. You drill a hole into the screw head and then use a hammer to tap the extractor into the hole. Then, you use pliers or a wrench to manually unscrew the screw.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,443 Posts

What’s on the back side? Fiberglass panel can be tricky. easy out may work if screw head still there? If the head broken off and you can’t get to back side with screw shank sticking out you will have to drill it out. That small screw will be real pain.

Just a moment...

Don’t know how structure in panel hear some examples boaters use?

You can Google for more ideas?
Old 06-16-2022, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,245 Posts

Quote:
I have these tools to remove screws as well a LEFT twist drills, send me a PM if you are interested, I am located south of 466a, and you would need to bring the cart here so i would have access to all of my tools.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Let's establish a few things.

Your hinge broke, because your hinge is made of cheap zinc that's chrome plated.

Here is how you remove it: securely grip the broken hinge with vice grips. Use a quality impact driver to remove the screw. That's it!

The advice on ez-outs was given by, well, idiots. This screw is not frozen in a steel engine block, not rusted by exposure to sea water, not secured in brittle cast aluminum. No, it's in fiberglass with some sort of soft metal stiffener. LH drills are also overkill.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

Your hinge broke, because your hinge is made of cheap zinc that's chrome plated.

Here is how you remove it: securely grip the broken hinge with vice grips. Use a quality impact driver to remove the screw. That's it!

The advice on ez-outs was given by, well, idiots. This screw is not frozen in a steel engine block, not rusted by exposure to sea water, not secured in brittle cast aluminum. No, it's in fiberglass with some sort of soft metal stiffener. LH drills are also overkill.
I'm not a tool meister, just a silly lady taking on a project that is way way above my pay grade or knowledge, just thought I would get advice from those of you who have encountered this dilemma, would normally pass this on to my better half but his disability makes this difficult now.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,681 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

Preparation H does have its limits, I guess...
Old 06-16-2022, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

another "idiot" here. You can buy the EZ out kit for less than 10 bucks on amazon. Might be overkill but its simple and cheap.

Better yet, take up The Tinkers offer. He has the tools and it would just be a golf cart ride for you.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-16-2022, 04:42 PM
Sage

Thank you all, appreciate your help!
Old 06-17-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have these tools to remove screws as well a LEFT twist drills, send me a PM if you are interested, I am located south of 466a, and you would need to bring the cart here so i would have access to all of my tools.
Villagetinker, you are exactly one of the reasons they advertise The Villages as being "America's Friendliest Home Town". Helping one another is what we should be doing, but it's a rarity these days.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:15 AM
Default Apply Heat

You will never get an "E-Z Out" into a little cabinet screw. Your best hope is to remove the other screws and hope that enough of the broken screw remains above the surface that it can be caught by a vice grips pliers. If you can't get the screw out, you'll have to move the hinge just enough to cover the broken screw.

It will be much easier to remove the remaining screws if you can apply some heat to them first . I would use a "mini-butane torch" which puts out a pinpoint flame. Put duct tape around the edge of the hinge to protect the finish of the cabinet and focus the flame on one screw at a time, first touching the screw head then removing the flame to let the heat "sink"into the shaft of the screw, and repeat.

With the door being fiberglass, this is going to be tricky.

The final thing is to use the largest screwdriver which will fit the screw.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:00 AM

///
Old 06-17-2022, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

DeWalt!!
Old 06-17-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I'm not a tool meister, just a silly lady taking on a project that is way way above my pay grade or knowledge, just thought I would get advice from those of you who have encountered this dilemma, would normally pass this on to my better half but his disability makes this difficult now.
I 2nd the motion to talk with the tinker. Free help is hard to pass up. Best wishes for you and your husband.
Closed Thread

Tags
screws, power, tools, yipsters, uninstall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.