Hi-speed gears

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Question Hi-speed gears

We will be coming to our house in The Villages in a few weeks and will be looking to purchase a used gas golf cart. This was suggested to us because we are very much part-timers for the next couple of years. I have been doing some checking with dealers in that area and I got a message from one of them who said some of his carts had high-speed gears and some didn't. Are these gears a nicety or a necessity and how much of a difference does it make ? Any help would be appreciated. THANKS
Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Any answer to your question is subjective and it really depends upon you or the person who would be the primary driver of the golf cart. You are talking about standard gears going 14-15 mph vs 19-20 mph with high speed gears. May not sound like much and you may be the type of person who does not need to get everywhere quickly or become impatient when other carts pass you by on the streets. If that the case stay with what you have. If you want a little more pick up and go you will need the high speed gears.

A friend of mine just bought a new Club Car electric (48V) and it came with a standard motor not a high speed motor. After a year, he just could not stand it any more, and had a high speed motor installed in his new golf cart.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Gold member

Last year TV provided us with a brand new Yamaha golf cart as part of our Lifestyle Preview and we loved everything about it - except for it's speed. We tooled around TV quite a bit, getting to know the different areas and enjoying the beautiful weather, but it seemed that almost every trip resulted in a parade of faster carts following us until we could reach a place where we could stop and let the parade pass by. That 5 MPH difference is huge, and I have to say, many of the faster carts were driven by obviously impatient people. So my vote goes for the speed-legal golf cart that goes 19-20 MPH, which is what I will be buying when it's my turn to move to TV.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Veteran member

Collie1288
I also noticed the speed of the Yamaha cart while I was on a LSP so one day I grabbed the GPS and went for a ride. On a very flat section of road over in the St. Charles area I was only able to get it up to 18 mph. I just felt that I was being passed by almost everything and I don't ever remember passing someone to get around them.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Last year TV provided us with a brand new Yamaha golf cart as part of our Lifestyle Preview and we loved everything about it - except for it's speed. We tooled around TV quite a bit, getting to know the different areas and enjoying the beautiful weather, but it seemed that almost every trip resulted in a parade of faster carts following us until we could reach a place where we could stop and let the parade pass by. That 5 MPH difference is huge, and I have to say, many of the faster carts were driven by obviously impatient people. So my vote goes for the speed-legal golf cart that goes 19-20 MPH, which is what I will be buying when it's my turn to move to TV.
We've been given golf cars for both of our Lifestyle Preview visits. They are governed to only go a certain speed which is slower than most other golf cars. This is probably a good idea since people on the LPV's are not familiar with the area. Afterall, it's hard to read those maps and drive 19.9 mph.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Gold member

When you look in the rear view mirror and see that you are the leader of the parade you will understand why you should have gotten high speed gears.

Yoda
Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 PM

That's a good one. We also had a cart while on our LSP and we were the leader of the parade many times but we figured it was because they didn't trust rookies with the carts so they had governors on them to keep the speed down and discourage you from using it.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allairenjadea View Post
That's a good one. We also had a cart while on our LSP and we were the leader of the parade many times but we figured it was because they didn't trust rookies with the carts so they had governors on them to keep the speed down and discourage you from using it.
The Villages golf cart people put together a golf cart to fit your needs as a Villager. A little pricey but I thought it was worth it.

Yoda
Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Default Gears and Engine Noise

The high speed or performance gears are great for travel around the Villages. Our gas Yamaha without a gear change would go about 18 mph. At that speed the engine was quite loud, with the gear installed the cart would do 21 mph. What was most important about the gear was the engine purred at 20 mph compared to a loud noise at 18 mph without the gear. You want a cart that will cruise at a minimum of 20 mph.

Charlie
Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Question Club cart slow poke

We bought a new club car 4 seater and are passed by everyone in TV especially on slopes ( I won't even call them hills). Club car says it is set to maximum but we only get 15mph according to GPS. The range is not too good either, we ran out of juice after playing down at 466A and returning to 42.
What is the cost to upgrade to the high speed motor and will it effect the batteries adversely?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Eternal Member
Default Get the gears

If you're going too fast, you can always slow down. You'll be happier going the same speed as all but the souped up carts.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Well we just got back to Maine from our three week stay at our home in Bonita. While we where there I contacted Jim Followell to see what he had for sale. He did not have any gas carts but recommended one that he saw in The Sun and tried to buy but couldn't get the price he wanted to pay. We went to see it and bought it. It was an 02 Yamaha gas cart that was remanufactured in 05 and did not have hi-speed gears.While I felt that we where going slow I did not find myself holding up traffic as much as I thought I would. So I guess it will be good enough for now and the few times a year we get there. FREEZING IN MAINE !!!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM

While on our LSP we stopped at the Villages Golf Cars store at SL and spoke with Chris Knowles. I highly reccommend him because he was very patient and knew alot about the differences between the gas vs electric cart specs. He allowed us to test drive one of their carts with the high-speed extra gear and it really quieted the cart when in high gear. It was similar to the 5th gear (overdrive) in my own vehicle. He then allowed us to test drive an electric cart. It did not have the power which the gas has...especially on the slopes.
We are now back home, and here in Cleveland, Harley Davidson sells gas powered carts. I plan on checking this brand for comparative specs against the Yamaha.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Default Club Car speed

I also am looking for a little more speed in my Club Car gas Precedent golf cart. Has anyone replaced their low speed gear? How difficult a job is it? I'm also thinking of going to a bigger tire and rim size. Would a 205/65/10 tire fit on a non-lifted CC Precedent cart?
Any insight would be appreciated.

PS at least in TV's I don't need snow tires.........
Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Default Installation

Hello once again my fellow Villagers....
We just moved in The Villages and after purchasing a New 2009 Yamaha Gas Golf Cart would like to install a High Speed Gear. Can you please suggest someone that is REPUTABLE that can do this and if you have any suggestions as to what gear ratio, speed it will help, etc.

As usual this Web Site is fantastic in the amount of help and information you can find/get concerning almost anything. Thank you and wishing all a very Merry Christmas.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.