His Cart Stinks !!!!

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

When ever you see K_A_R_T A_I_D_E picking up a ride there mostly electric
Not to mention exploding batteries over heated chargers and..Smell of sulphur in closed area when charging
Sounds like more of a disgruntled neighbor issue
Old 11-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Several village houses had a fire in the garage because of charging their golf carts. Battery or gas is strictly a personal choice.

OP, the cart you referred to in your post has a problem but it can be and should be taken to one of the Village Cart Garages to be analyzed by a mechanic. You never mentioned the year/model of the cart. Perhaps a newer model will be the answer. We have two Yamaha gas carts. One is 2010 and the other 2015. Never smell gas fumes. Fore!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Gold member

Carburetor fuel/air needs adjusting. It probably backfires going down hill.
Use regular gas not premium

Last edited by NoMoSno; 11-10-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:32 AM
Default Internal conbustion engines are old hat

In California, I never saw a gas cart as they did not pass our Smog restrictions. I was surprised to see gas carts when I moved here with my electric in the moving van. Noise, smell, small advantage in range, I just travel 60 miles and then charge, I do not need or want to go any further anyway. Only this particular Villager's opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010198 (2).JPG
Views:	374
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	72470   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010371.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	72471  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:02 AM
Email Reported As Spam

This discussion of electric v gas is another of the ongoing topics that is never going to get resolved simply because we all have a right to choose.

In one of these discussions a pro-electric resident was making all the same claims. My rejoinder to him was do you also drive an electric car?

He responded back that he had a series 300 Telsa on order. Hmmm if he did he has a long wait because Telsa is having one heck of a time meeting its production goals on this model

After all the aggravation associated with owning an electric cart with a solar panel for 9 years I capitulated and went Yamaha gas and have never looked back

Note if you will that the Golf Admin has moved to gas carts.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
My neighbor has a gas golf cart just a few years old, but it STINKS really, really badly when he uses it of exhaust fumes. He asked to use mine for this reason. Stated he had it looked at, but was told to run High Test gas..
He is thinking about trading / selling but doesn't want someone to have his same problems....

Any ideas what I should tell him about fixing this issue ??
Was the air fliter dirty and plugged up? You know the thing that keeps dust out of the carburetor from being suck in and ruining cylinder walls and when dirty and plugging up starves the engine for air?

High test not going to fix anything. Few years old, now, let's see imo few years old 1980 model? Stinks, if it stinks does it smoke, did it loose power, does it hesitate, pop, on die out when you push the go pedal down?

Doesn't want someone else that have same problem? If routine pre-ventive maintenance wasn't done the engine maybe worn out?

Obviously something wrong with it. Have it looked at by someone who knows more than put gas in and go?

Didn't want to sound like "Dick"' really need more information to try and give good guess of what maybe wrong.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:10 PM

This is a common complaint. We have heard it too many times and have heard about how the cart has gone into a shop for repair. The reality is with the invoices that I have seen, nothing really is done, but these shops have to do something as they cant take a zero and just let the customer go on their way. You see on these invoices, where gaskets are changed, or things are tightened. The thing is, if its gas powered, your going to smell exhaust, no way around it.
Yamaha runs there carbureted carts rich, the only way to reduce that, would be to re-jet it, which some places have tried. Still going to produce exhaust, so it will still smell.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Gold member

I have no idea if this is correct, but I can't help but think the ethanol in today's gas is what makes the smell especially obnoxious. I'd try using the non-ethanol gas that The Villages stations supposedly sells. I have two electric carts and wouldn't want a gas cart for several reasons, this being one of them.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:38 AM

get the exhaust extension. The original comes out under the seat
Old 12-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default His Cart Stinks !!!!

The Villages Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 PM

Interestingly, Amazon has new carburetors for only $20. I would be prone to put one on before I took it to a shop. Cheap possible solution.

Looks like 2 bolts, 2 hoses, and 2 cables.

Now.....back to the electric vs gas war.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:15 PM

FYI. I tried the $20 cars from amazon and they were unusable. First one I ordered the bolt was stripped on the float bowl and the replacement they sent me was worse that my original carb. Several online golf cart companies sell original carbs for around $200. Another option is to have the original carb rebuilt.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
Interestingly, Amazon has new carburetors for only $20. I would be prone to put one on before I took it to a shop. Cheap possible solution.

Looks like 2 bolts, 2 hoses, and 2 cables.

Now.....back to the electric vs gas war.
Those carbs along with most of the aftermarket products are pure junk. We like it when customer put that stuff on
Closed Thread

Tags
stinks, gas, cart, selling, trading

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.