How old of a pre owned golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2020, 09:08 AM
Cool how old golf cart?

Very good question as most of the golf cart dealers sell 'rebuilt' carts and almost never mention what year it is made unless you do a research or buy a 'new' cart. Chas
Old 12-10-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The motors in electric golf carts tend to last quite a bit longer than gas motors. My 2002 Club Car is still running great.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:12 AM

I purchased a 2011 Star cart, installed lithium batteries (ReLion) and couldn't be happier. No more noise, fueling, stink, maintenance, and fuss with a gas engine, and no battery maintenance, range anxiety as the batteries age, and battery replacement (the lithiums should last 24,000 miles ... longer than I plan to be around). I would recommend against a gas cart, in a few years I suspect you won't be able to give one of those away.

Other than the brushes in the motor and the tires, there isn't much to wear out in an electric cart (not even the brakes, thanks to regenerative braking). I especially like the way the back seat on the Star cart folds up out of the way. Its very nice to be able to carry two couples (we have even carried 6 people, as the lithium batteries are 400 pounds lighter than the old lead/acid).
Old 12-10-2020, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
What is everyone’s experience with what year golf cart is the oldest you would be comfortable buying?
I know it depends on a lot of factors, but if you were doing a search, and there was a field for the oldest you would buy, what year (is it 2010, 2005, etc)?
I guess it might depend on gas vs electric?

Thanks
As you will see there is no shortage of opinion. So for my two cents worth. Ours is eight years old purchased new. I wanted to buy used wife wanted new. Since she uses it far more than I do and I did not want to hear, I told your so, we bought new. We have fuel injection. Our neighbor has the same year carburetor and has needed to have the carburetor replaced. I don't think it is a matter of reliability but more the fact that it mostly sits in his garage unused.
The 2017 gas Yamaha is quieter than previous gas Yamahas. The major difference is added sound absorption material. If, you wish there are kits to add sound deadening to the older carts. The 2018 now has an oxygen sensor I expect it is for pollution control. Likely, as in a car it is another item that will need to be replaced within a time span.
I don't think there is any collectors value in an old golf cart but it might be amusing to know who HONESTLY still uses the oldest golf cart in the villages Mine is eight years old and not even a contender.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harby View Post
Very good question as most of the golf cart dealers sell 'rebuilt' carts and almost never mention what year it is made unless you do a research or buy a 'new' cart. Chas
Rebuilt? What does that mean-they do not tell you. As in a car, you can buy a rebuilt engine and install it. Properly done it should last as long as new engine. It is far more likely rebuilt golf cart means they do the minimum. Perhaps, a valve adjustment, belts,
clutch rebuild, a bit of cleaning some touch up paint and it is sold as rebuilt.

You can keep any machine running forever the question is does it make economic sense to do so? I tend to do a lot of reading. I used to have a boat. I read the life of an outboard was 1,000 hours and was concerned. I figured for me that was ONLY 30 years. I golf cart I read the engine life of the gas Yamaha is about 40,000 miles.
We use ours 12 months a year. We do not have an odometer just an hour meter
Rough guess for us about 12 years. We bought the 10 inch wheels and bias ply tires
after 8 years, they are about half worn.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
For a gas cart I would say the 2016 model Yamaha, they made this much more quiet that previous models. (Might be a 2017 model, we purchased in the fall of 2016). The added quietness is a very nice feature. You can have conversations with the person sitting next to you while driving.

2017 model is when Quietech became available. If you go older than that, get an EFI rather than carbuerated. I think it was easier to us to decide price range we were comfortable with then look at what was available for that.

When buying used check prices around. Some people base their prices on retail value, but most dealers check and repair before reselling, so used from a dealer may arguably be in better shape.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
What is everyone’s experience with what year golf cart is the oldest you would be comfortable buying?
I know it depends on a lot of factors, but if you were doing a search, and there was a field for the oldest you would buy, what year (is it 2010, 2005, etc)?

Thanks
Mine is a Yamaha gas 2009 and it's in great condition. I bought it used from a woman in her 80's who rarely drove it, and I rarely drive it (non-golfer), so it's probably in nearly as good condition as it was in 2009. The key is wear and tear, not age. P.S. It just sits for five months each year (snowbird) and when I return it has always started within 3 seconds.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:24 PM

Bought our 2002 Yamaha gas cart new from a dealer in Ocala, have it serviced yearly, other than 3 sets of new tires, and of course battery every 4 years or so, never had a day of trouble with it and it runs quieter than many new gas carts. My point here is that any well maintained gas Yamaha cart should be just fine. Maintenance is the really important factor, not age.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
My point here is that any well maintained gas Yamaha cart should be just fine. Maintenance is the really important factor, not age.

Like an auto.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The motors in electric golf carts tend to last quite a bit longer than gas motors. My 2002 Club Car is still running great.
But you’ll replace enough batteries to buy 3 gas engines. I have never had gas engine in anything fail. It’s all in routine maintenance. The one’s that failed are the ones that don’t chance oil or don’t know where dip stick is.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Mine is a 2001 still chugging merrily along on gas. My clever husband sees to it and it has been carefully maintained. Four seater. Bought it used in 2006. Never, ever, quit and abandoned me along the road like some electric ones do.
And some gas ones do also....lol
Old 12-10-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
same as an auto, no magical age
I agree. I would want to know the mileage and see what maintenance had been done on a regular basis. Some people don’t schedule maintenance until something goes wrong. Not good.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
What year golf cart is the oldest you would be comfortable buying?
Mrs Fox's EZGO is over 20 years old and still running like a dream. We bought it "lightly used" ten years ago and replaced the batteries (twice) when they reached six years old.

The frame is solid so we expect to be using it many years from now.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Default Older Golf Cart

Quote:

Thanks
I had a 1992 Club Car that ran great. However, I sold it and bought a 2010 Par Car...big mistake. Do not buy a Par Car...used or new.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:34 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Don’t know when u bought the 2011 but the price seems high

Tags
oldest, golf, cart, year, field

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.