ICON brand of golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2020, 11:47 AM
Default ICON brand of golf cart?

In the market for a new cart, electric will work for our short trips. Have seen a new brand of cart on the market (ICON), features seem great for the money. Doesn't look like any local dealers, wondering if anyone has purchased this brand and their thoughts.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhr95 View Post
In the market for a new cart, electric will work for our short trips. Have seen a new brand of cart on the market (ICON), features seem great for the money. Doesn't look like any local dealers, wondering if anyone has purchased this brand and their thoughts.
I can't speak to that particular brand.

I can speak to buying brands without local dealers. I made that mistake buying an Isuzu in the early 2000s. It's a bad idea. The small discount you get for buying something like that, is going to be offset by cost, time and hassle when you need service or repair.

Seriously, buy a Yamaha or Club Car these are proven brands, lots of local support and are great quality. The Ezgo and Par Car are pretty good too, not as much support as others, but still fine. Every other brand, in my opinion, should be avoided.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2020, 01:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

It is fairly obvious ICON is one of the many Chinese carts.

EVs particularly low speed EVs (read as golf cart style) are being encouraged in China by the central government.

There are several manufacturers, therein lies the problem. Certainly the Chinese can produce an excellent product like your iPhone. But where will ICON be in ten years? What if they fail?
Old 11-16-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

EVs particularly low speed EVs (read as golf cart style) are being encouraged in China by the central government.

There are several manufacturers, therein lies the problem. Certainly the Chinese can produce an excellent product like your iPhone. But where will ICON be in ten years? What if they fail?
You think cheap electric carts going to last 10 years?
Old 11-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You think cheap electric carts going to last 10 years?
The Chinese can make whatever quality that you want. Your General Electric appliances? They are Haier (Chinese), some made here some elsewhere.. Many auto parts are Chinese as well I could go on...
Old 11-16-2020, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The nearest ICON dealer I could find was in Tampa, Bayside Carts. They have on their website this cart new for $7475. I bet you could go to I-4 Power in Webster, Florida about 20 miles south and buy a brand new stripped down Yamaha just like this ICON for about the same price. The most obvious accessory missing is the Sunbrella curtains, about $700. Also I'm sure there are other items you want to add, I'm not sure if it has turn signals, etc.

The Villages Florida

Here's the Tampa dealer's website, Bayside

ICON Golf Carts
– Bayside Custom Carts

I-4 Power in Webster website, their site is under construction but it will give you their basic info. Also many posters on this board have bought from them already, just use the search button at the top page for any question on any subject you may want answered quickly.

Golf Carts - I4 POWER EQUIPMENT

ICON Golf Carts website

Home - ICON Electric Vehicles

May I suggest before buying the ICON, go talk to the Crown dealer in Wildwood, located behind Russell Stover Candy outlet. They sell the Chinese electric car/cart by Crown which is similar to the Atomic Electric. They also sell Star Carts, a Chinese brand of cart that has been sold in TV for years and many Villagers swear by them. You're Welcomed.

Crown Carts
Old 11-16-2020, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Stick with something you know your can get parts for and find several businesses that can service it.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

Exactly another reason to become independent from China
Old 11-17-2020, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

The "Chinese" do not produce the iPhone. Apple products are produced by and American company that has a manufacturing plants in China and uses Chinese labor. The plants have American executives and upper level management.

That is very different than companies that are owned by either Chinese citizens or the Chinese government which is the case with ICON golf carts.

Personally, if I were going to buy a new golf cart I would buy either a Yamaha gas cart or a Club Car electric. These are the two best and proven carts on the market today. If I wanted and electric, I would go for a Club Car with lithium batteries.

Unless someone wanted one of those completely enclosed carts with air conditioning, I can't understand why anyone would look at anything else.

Both Yamaha and Club Car have many dealers and service station in within the Villages.

You might save a few dollars with an EZ Go and not a bad choice. Par Cars can be OK but getting parts and service can be a problem.

Just my opinion.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 11-17-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:16 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

I have a club car, electric and could not be happier. Par car was very costly and had to prepay service. NOT! The Par car dealer who was local is not longer there. Talk to some service people and you will get an idea of how it can be taken care of. Personally, although impossible practically, I am making every effort to not buy Chinese.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:28 AM
Sage

Not exactly. IPhones are manufactured by the contract manufacturing company Foxconn, a Taiwan-based company with some facilities in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The "Chinese" do not produce the iPhone. Apple products are produced by and American company that has a manufacturing plants in China and uses Chinese labor. The plants have American executives and upper level management.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:33 AM

Another very reasonable electric cart is Pilotcar , made in Turkey I believe and I met the distributor at thecOGA show last year and they are priced below Yamaha and Club Car but slightly more than the other ones , great looking carts with Trojan battery power and one that is built to last-Pilotcarev.com
Old 11-17-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
The Chinese can make whatever quality that you want. Your General Electric appliances? They are Haier (Chinese), some made here some elsewhere.. Many auto parts are Chinese as well I could go on...
From the same fine folks that brought you covid-19....
Old 11-17-2020, 08:57 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

You get what u pay for. Buy a used yamaha for the same price and don’t worry about service
Old 11-17-2020, 10:09 AM

I love my Atomic!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, brand, icon, market, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.