I'd like to install a Golf Cart Stereo in this...

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2015, 05:48 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default I'd like to install a Golf Cart Stereo in this...

Hello all. On a recent inspection I noticed my customer had a really nice under roof mounted stereo system on his golf cart. I have been using a portable bluetooth speaker, but would really prefer a nice stereo.

I can probably buy a kit, or at least the empty fiberglas enclosure and the component speakers and stereo, but thought I would ask here first if anyone has done this and what their preferences were, etc.

Also, does anyone know of an outfit that does this? Since mine is a 48 volt electric Club Car, one has to know a bit more about the wiring, etc. with the 6 eight volt batteries, etc. I know there is also a component one can add that takes juice from all 6 batteries equally...not sure if I need this or not, or if I can just go off of the 12 volt headlight wire....I'd like to find someone who is an expert at this and perhaps have them do this....of course, my wife just rolls her eyes.....

Here is my cart now....
The Villages Florida

Thank you anyone in advance for their good help.....Frank
Old 10-03-2015, 07:06 AM

I bought a Pro Series Radio Console kit from ClassicCartAudio . com without the radio since I wanted a SiriusXM radio. I installed the kit myself except for the wiring. The radio wiring harness was done by Best Buy where I bought the radio and speakers. I had the cart wiring done by Carts and Clubs in Ocala. The radio console is great since it is designed not to rattle. I am replacing the original radio with a marine grade radio this month. PM me if yiu want more info.

Some of it is magic, some of it is tragic, but we're having a good life all the way!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Gold member

Caveat: please be aware that those around you may not appreciate the fine music you're listening to and give thought to wearing headphones if you are a)hard of hearing b)like to listen to your music at increased volume....
Old 10-03-2015, 08:58 AM

I had a am/fm, weather station enabled radio with a Sirius XM radio installed in my cart last year. The man who installed it was Todd Casey who has done lots of work here in the villages. I would highly recommend him for any job you might need done on your cart.

His phone number is 352-256-2068.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Caveat: please be aware that those around you may not appreciate the fine music you're listening to and give thought to wearing headphones if you are a)hard of hearing b)like to listen to your music at increased volume....
Wearing headphones while driving on a public road is illegal. Meaning that every time you come to an intersection on the MMP where you have to cross a road, you are breaking the law. A golf cart driver recently got ticketed for this.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:10 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank you all for your informative posts. I have learned a bit more since my first posting on this, and now know I definitely want to add/use a 48v to 12v step down transformer, sized to handle all of my current and future 12 volt needs. While one could get away with not doing this, it is better for the batteries to do so. Of course, this would be much easier to do on a gas golf cart, it is a bit more complex with a 48 volt system.

Folks who know me know that I am not one to play loud music or disrupt those around me so I do not intend to be one of "those people"....lol. I have been using a small bluetooth speaker and my iphone, but would just like a stereo instead.

I would think that with all of the high end fancy carts in The Villages, and for how much the carts are used here this would be a good business for someone well versed in automotive sound systems, etc.

Any more info and opinions would be much appreciated....I will avail myself to everything you have told me thus far. Thanks again!

Frank
Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last time I was in the Lake Sumter Villages Yamaha store they had two systems to chose from, both were mounted overhead. This puts the speakers close to your ears so you'll have clarity and won't need to turn the volume way up. They wanted about $450 and $650 installed.

My neighbor wanted one with XM/Sirius radio so he had a system installed by Best Buy, he paid just over $600, and then you pay an annual fee to XM. I have XM in my car and it's well worth it.

If you're just wanting AM/FM and are handy, you can buy the components from places online like BuggiesUnlimited for about $300. Here's a link,
Complete Overhead Radio Kits (Black)

The Villages Florida
Old 10-03-2015, 09:12 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thanks John...that is what I am thinking. I'd like to end up with the carbon fiber mount, speakers, a mid range quality stereo unit, etc.

The 48v to 12v transformer is an added component I will want to use that a gas cart does not need. Prices vary on these, but a good one (30 amp) looks like it is around $100-$130. You can find some for as low as $15.00 or so, but they are 10 amp units. I'm thinking the beefier unit would cause less problems down the road, as I can put my headlights, etc on it also....perhaps with a fuse block.

Just need to slow down a bit to find time for this project.....or pay someone to do it all. We'll see. I'm a DIY type of person, but there is also wisdom in paying a quality person to do quality work while you do what you do well....

Thanks everyone so far!! Some of the best folks can be found here.....

Frank
Old 10-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

I went a different way using a motorcycle bullet speaker system. You can run your phone or MP3 player. $150

http://www.walmart.com/ip/37852431?w...215911&veh=sem
Old 10-09-2015, 03:44 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thanks Walter......That also is a good option...I am currently using a bluetooth speaker and my iphone...

I would like to have something where I can just turn on the radio, or iphone...Thanks!

Frank
Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 PM

I have a cobra cart and was quoted $1,700 to install the Ford radio version. The roof headliner is different from most in my cart. Found a place called Sta-Rite carts and accessories right off rt25....minutes from The Villages. I was skeptical at first, but Frank at Sta-Rite assured me they could handle the stereo. $495 installed. Sony product with 2 speakers, all marine quality. AM/FM radio, CD player, USB for playing downloaded music AND remote. They did a fantastic job and brought it in just as they said they would. 352-326-3100.
Closed Thread

Tags
stereo, volt, cart, batteries, golf, component, nice, frank, eyes, takes, rolls, add, juice, wife, wire, headlight, good, find, wiring, expert, advance, equally, portable, bluetooth, speaker

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.