If you can't beat them, join them !!! -- Par Car speed

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

I rented star electric cart in 2014. It had switch on dash said high and low. I thought it was for the lights. One night I flipped the switch to high and then cart hit another gear. I swear I hit 40 mph before I backed off ( once you get above 25 you can really feel wind. Cart didn't have speedometer I guess more amps to the electric motor spun it faster to get higher speed?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I rented star electric cart in 2014. It had switch on dash said high and low. I thought it was for the lights. One night I flipped the switch to high and then cart hit another gear. I swear I hit 40 mph before I backed off ( once you get above 25 you can really feel wind. Cart didn't have speedometer I guess more amps to the electric motor spun it faster to get higher speed?
I hope it had 4 wheel brakes
Old 08-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Our cart is not quite a year old so it is still under warranty. If I alter the cart in any way, I have a feeling it will void the warranty. I already have 10" tires and my cart reaches 20 to 21mph only going down hill. Otherwise, it will maintain 19.8 on flat land.
I would not tamper with the speed or any thing else while it's under warranty. Your cart speed is prefect IMO not worth the risk for few mph Faster.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Platinum member
Default Not Worth It

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
I am looking for someone to raise the speed on my Parcar...private message me if you'd like. I have been driving my golf cart at 20 for 7 years and I don't care if you pass me but I have had too many close calls now that I relocated down to the south end of The Villages. I have been driving on Pinellas for over 3 years and after they get past me they slow down and cut me off. Crazy...I have had to slam on my breaks way too many times to avoid an accident...the winter is a nightmare...I am joining them as it seems that the police are not taking hold of the situation, so be it...I will be just one more privileged Villager in a big pond.
You do realize that it will negate your insurance if you are in an accident, regardless of fault?

When we first moved here in 2004, we attended one of the golf cart clinics. The Police Chief said, "If you have an accident, the first thing we will do is check to see if you have altered your cart to go faster than 20 mph. If you have, then you're MINE."

I, personally, would not want to risk everything we have in a lawsuit over just a couple of miles an hour. We don't have much, but it's ours and we worked hard for it. You need to go faster, take the car.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 08-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
You do realize that it will negate your insurance if you are in an accident, regardless of fault?

When we first moved here in 2004, we attended one of the golf cart clinics. The Police Chief said, "If you have an accident, the first thing we will do is check to see if you have altered your cart to go faster than 20 mph. If you have, then you're MINE."

I, personally, would not want to risk everything we have in a lawsuit over just a couple of miles an hour. We don't have much, but it's ours and we worked hard for it. You need to go faster, take the car.

I think the police chief has been watching too many Dirty Harry flicks. Senior citizens driving a golf cart that can go 22 mph rather than the requisite 20 is a bit much for him ? He needs to spend on the job time in the South Bronx where that tough talk can be put to good use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
I think the police chief has been watching too many Dirty Harry flicks. Senior citizens driving a golf cart that can go 22 mph rather than the requisite 20 is a bit much for him ? He needs to spend on the job time in the South Bronx where that tough talk can be put to good use.

Lighten up! I don't think he meant it in order to sound like 'Dirty Harry'. He was simply trying to make the point of not altering your speed. In an accident, regardless of fault, you would be ticketed when they checked for modifications. That is their job! People continually complain when they do their jobs and then complain if something really bad happens because they perceive that they did not do their jobs. No win situation, either way.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 08-06-2017, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Lighten up! I don't think he meant it in order to sound like 'Dirty Harry'. He was simply trying to make the point of not altering your speed. In an accident, regardless of fault, you would be ticketed when they checked for modifications. That is their job! People continually complain when they do their jobs and then complain if something really bad happens because they perceive that they did not do their jobs. No win situation, either way.

It just struck me as a parody skit on Saturday Night Live. I meant no disrespect.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
It just struck me as a parody skit on Saturday Night Live. I meant no disrespect.

Thank you. Good thought on the skit. Although I have never liked SNL, my kids always loved it. That would be a funny one. I apologize for coming off a bit tacky.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 PM

No one will do it. I suggest getting a 2017 or 2018 Gas Yamaha quiet tec Almost as quiet as the electric and no more gas smell
Old 08-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

And still no answer for the OP.....sigh

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 AM

IMO only Par Car can increase the speed of the cart which will cost. I have a Par Car NEV with a switch that increases speed to 25 mph but never use it. I had them set it to 22 mph on the last service inspection. I don't feel the need for speed. With only rear brakes I find it dangerous at any speed above 22 mph. I replaced the rear brakes myself and found them very cheaply made. They are hydraulic which is better than cable as the same amount of pressure is applied to both wheels. If the brake shoes get glazed only 1 wheel can get more friction than the other then the cart can slide sideways into a rollover situation. “Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?” George Carlin.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Our cart is not quite a year old so it is still under warranty. If I alter the cart in any way, I have a feeling it will void the warranty. I already have 10" tires and my cart reaches 20 to 21mph only going down hill. Otherwise, it will maintain 19.8 on flat land.
Once the cart has been altered by the dealer to make it Villages ready the manufacturers warranty is voided. Hopefully the dealer will honor the warranty but good luck with that!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 PM

Hi "My Daily Run", I bought my Columbia Parcar from Arizona and it goes 30 plus MPH on a new set of batteries. The trick was replacing the gears with a higher ratio. There are three issues with this. A. My batteries don't last as long. B. Have a harder time getting up hills from a stop. C. Parts like brakes, bearings, etc wear out quicker. Be careful though, as much as I love the speed at times, I have to be careful on turns and what not.

The parts issue was the most frustrating for awhile since I didn't have a dealer by me until I found CartPros.com where they carry all the parts for Columbia Parcar golf carts.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:07 PM

see if navitas makes a adjustable controller for your par car , that will get you some more speed and quite a bit more torque
Old 10-22-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelHungry View Post
Hi "My Daily Run", I bought my Columbia Parcar from Arizona and it goes 30 plus MPH on a new set of batteries. The trick was replacing the gears with a higher ratio. There are three issues with this. A. My batteries don't last as long. B. Have a harder time getting up hills from a stop. C. Parts like brakes, bearings, etc wear out quicker. Be careful though, as much as I love the speed at times, I have to be careful on turns and what not.

The parts issue was the most frustrating for awhile since I didn't have a dealer by me until I found CartPros.com where they carry all the parts for Columbia Parcar golf carts.

That place is expensive, you can find parts cheaper local
Closed Thread

Tags
driving, years, nightmare, slam, crazy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.