Kawasaki Mule 610 as Golf Cart

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2021, 06:22 AM

I have a UTV, not in the villages, but noise could be an issue with some. Personally, no issue for me. I’ve seen atomic cars on golf cart paths, they seem to be wider than a Yamaha golf cart?
Old 05-23-2021, 06:48 AM

If you can't let go of back home, it's risky to move to TV. Some people sell within two years and move back home. Accepting the lifestyle makes TV very pleasant. Golf carts help make TV what it is.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:16 AM

No, they are for golf carts not UTV’s or ATV’s.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
You say it is the width of a golf cart. I would verify that since from what I've seen, they are a little wider than the golf carts here in The Villages. And since the golf cart paths, tunnels, and bridges were built for golf carts, the extra width would be a real problem if you drove it anywhere other than up and down the street in front of your house. You probably couldn't take it to the town squares, shopping, or much where else. So in addition to the speed restriction, I would really discourage you from trying to use this as your mode of transportation here in The Villages. The only time you see these types of vehicles are by the maintenance crews working on the landscape projects.
You need lights, blinkers brake lights, etc. to be on the cart paths, assuming you meet size requirements. Better ask The Villages to be sure.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:20 AM

Look at FL law or ask the sheriff. A golf cart may go only up to 20MPH. If it can go faster than that it is a LSV and must have license plates and insurance like a car. If caught with a golf cart that can travel faster than 20 MPH you will get multiple tickets. Gem cars should not be allowed on golf courses and multi-modal paths, but sadly they are.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsport View Post
Hi. I’m moving to The Villages next month. I have a Kawasaki Mule, which is the smallest UTV you can get and is the width of a golf card and length of a four seat golf cart. I’d love to bring it. Do folks use such things to get around? I’m assuming it cannot be used on a golf course even with approved tires. But, I usually walk anyway. Thanks!
You are asking in the wrong place. If, I recall my logo is dave. Even if you were to print it, Dave of the villages told me ............ It means nothing.

I would call the police, they are actually helpful here. I'm sure they can direct you.
As stated, my opinion holds no water. I doubt it. Golf cart speed is limited to 20 mph.
You need to have turn signals etc. More than that if it is faster than 20 mph you need plates and insurance. I don't know what an UTV is. I assume it is an ATV (all terrain vehicle). I do not see anyone running them on golf cart paths or on the street so I doubt it is legal
Old 05-23-2021, 09:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal195z View Post
Look at FL law or ask the sheriff. A golf cart may go only up to 20MPH. If it can go faster than that it is a LSV and must have license plates and insurance like a car. If caught with a golf cart that can travel faster than 20 MPH you will get multiple tickets. Gem cars should not be allowed on golf courses and multi-modal paths, but sadly they are.
As I regularly say I do not claim to be an expert. If, I recall, I think I know, the gem was originally designed as transport on large private property. They can be easily adjusted so that they can only go 20 mph.

As far as law, besides mine, few of the golf carts are properly set to only do 20mph.
Villagers, though they are mostly retired are clearly in a rush to the next stop sign.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Speed of cart does not limit the ability to go on a course. Tire size and overall size of cart does. Street legal carts are allowed on the courses and they go over 20.
I stand corrected sir.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:25 AM

Not allowed..
Old 05-23-2021, 09:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
If it is capable of over 20mph, no.
If it’s capable of going over 20mph, you’ll have to get a license plate! Personally I think I would get rid of it & invest in a golf cart.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:08 AM

Yes, your right. Driving my golf cart to the Sunset Overlook at Lake Sumter is pretty scary when another cart is coming your way.
Each cart must hug the cart roadway to their right and it still looks way too close like the mirrors are going to hit.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
As I regularly say I do not claim to be an expert. If, I recall, I think I know, the gem was originally designed as transport on large private property. They can be easily adjusted so that they can only go 20 mph.

As far as law, besides mine, few of the golf carts are properly set to only do 20mph.
Villagers, though they are mostly retired are clearly in a rush to the next stop sign.
I know this subject gets beaten to death frequently, but I feel the need to respond about GEM cars. Just like "real" cars, GEM cars have a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). As such, they can never be legally operated on public roads without a registration ("Tag") or insurance. Limiting them to 20 MPH will not avoid that. You can't downgrade a GEM car to be a golf cart (unless it's used only on private property) but you can "upgrade" a golf cart to be a ("Street Legal") low speed vehicle by giving it the necessary physical properties and registering and insuring it for use on public roads. The only advantage to doing that is you get to travel 5 MPH faster and go on (and cross) some roads where you couldn't go with a golf cart. Most people don't pay attention to the speed limits anyway and even using an actual GEM car as a "regular" vehicle on public roads is risky at best, so I don't see much value in doing that. I have a GEM car because I do have to travel on some public roads (as do most golf cart owners - but I use the golf cart lanes on the roadways and the multimodal paths where possible) and the GEM cars are designed and constructed for that purpose. Golf carts are designed and constructed for use on a golf course. I consider their use on public roads as a misuse of the product. To make my perspective even less valuable to anyone else, I don't golf, so I don't care about its use on a golf course. (I know, what am I doing living in The Villages anyway?) But that's just my opinion...

And on the very rare occasions that I have to cross the Lake Sumter bridge with my GEM car, I do it on the "vehicle" roadway (at 25 MPH with cars anxious to do 45 MPH - in a 35 MPH zone - breathing down my neck) because as noted elsewhere in this thread, the cart path is too narrow for a GEM car to successfully pass an oncoming golf cart there. I avoid crossing that bridge whenever possible.

I'll shut up now... and await the deluge.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:59 AM
Default Mule 610

I also owned one which I used in the mountains of NC. It is not adaptable to the golf course environment. I loved the mule , it was great and reliable for our NC property. Hard to let it go.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Chapin View Post
I know this subject gets beaten to death frequently, but I feel the need to respond about GEM cars. Just like "real" cars, GEM cars have a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). As such, they can never be legally operated on public roads without a registration ("Tag") or insurance. Limiting them to 20 MPH will not avoid that. You can't downgrade a GEM car to be a golf cart (unless it's used only on private property) but you can "upgrade" a golf cart to be a ("Street Legal") low speed vehicle by giving it the necessary physical properties and registering and insuring it for use on public roads. The only advantage to doing that is you get to travel 5 MPH faster and go on (and cross) some roads where you couldn't go with a golf cart. Most people don't pay attention to the speed limits anyway and even using an actual GEM car as a "regular" vehicle on public roads is risky at best, so I don't see much value in doing that. I have a GEM car because I do have to travel on some public roads (as do most golf cart owners - but I use the golf cart lanes on the roadways and the multimodal paths where possible) and the GEM cars are designed and constructed for that purpose. Golf carts are designed and constructed for use on a golf course. I consider their use on public roads as a misuse of the product. To make my perspective even less valuable to anyone else, I don't golf, so I don't care about its use on a golf course. (I know, what am I doing living in The Villages anyway?) But that's just my opinion...

And on the very rare occasions that I have to cross the Lake Sumter bridge with my GEM car, I do it on the "vehicle" roadway (at 25 MPH with cars anxious to do 45 MPH - in a 35 MPH zone - breathing down my neck) because as noted elsewhere in this thread, the cart path is too narrow for a GEM car to successfully pass an oncoming golf cart there. I avoid crossing that bridge whenever possible.

I'll shut up now... and await the deluge.
As I regularly state a post where someone says hey I am wrong is rare indeed.
Typical post-I am right because.
There is no shortage of people who are sure the other person is wrong and they are right.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLTempleton View Post
You need lights, blinkers brake lights, etc. to be on the cart paths, assuming you meet size requirements. Better ask The Villages to be sure.
I think you need those to drive on streets or in diamond lanes. I don’t think you need them for cart path? but, how would you get to cart path without them?
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, mule, kawasaki, cart, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.